Tauron=moon?

So correct me if I’m wrong, but is Tauron supposed to be a moon of Caprica? I know we had a discussion about there being 12 habitable planets in a system somewhere in the BSG forum, and we talked about some of the colonies being moons and how that could influence which colonies were “better” than others.

No?

Tauron is a totally different planet. According to the RPG it’s in one rather large solar system though

No, like Firefly, the BSG 'verse, had an unlikely planetary setup with multiple planets in the habitable zone.

Sharon was supposed to be from Troy, which may have been a moon of Aerilon, which is what you may be thinking of.

Maybe I was misinterpreting the shot, but I thot they showed a dusty moon (which I took to be Tauron) orbiting Caprica in one of the episodes. Maybe it was just showing that Tauron was the neighboring planet.

the twelves colonies with corresponding zodiac names are planets. whehter or not they are in the same solar system is up for debate. But i find it weird if they have FTL that powerful on so many vessel just so they can travel in the same system. and what’s the point of having FTL and non FTL vessels if all twelve colonies are in the same system?

Same reason you have jets on planes that fly in the same country. Faster is better.

yes, faster is better. so why have non FTL ships when you have FTL for ages?

using the jet plane example, since the adaptation with jets on commercial planes, almost all commercial flight are now using jet planes. the only place you can find non-jet commercial flight is if you flight from Seattle to Vancouver or from Santa Ana to LAX, basically trips that will take about the same amount of time if you drive.

the divide for jet and propeller commercial flight is distance. the same should go for FTL and non-FTL ships. FTL is such an powerful tool, if one needs to get to other star systems, they would have to use FTL.

There is nothing in the Reimaginged series that sets all the colonies in a binary star system, aside from blogs and stuff. I know that the Original Series hinted at that, but when it comes to Caprica, the colonies should be in separate systems.

Anyway, when Caprica story does make it off the planet of Caprica, I hope they clear this up.

Maybe the sub-lights are used to shuttle people from the planet colonies to the mining colonies (like a moon orbiting a planet). They still need the FTLs because it would take months to get from one point in the solar system to another by sub-light.

Maybe FTL is more akin to going supersonic for them. Yeah, it gets you places a lot faster but it burns up fuel faster and requires specialized engines. In the mini-series they did end up leaving behind a fair number of ships that didn’t have FTL drives. You could even add in how it makes some people uncomfortable. Again in the mini they commented how making a jump was uncomfortable or disconcerting to people. Obviously that quickly became a non-factor on the show, but certainly before the Fall I can see people avoiding FTL if it made them ill or uncomfortable.