SW Comic Timeline (Great Place to Get Started)

For those of you who may be thinking about jumping into Dark Horse’s great Star Wars comics, you might find the following information useful. I’m by no means a comic expert, but as I’ve become more and more drawn into DH/SW, I found myself making some notes as to how all the comics fit together, etc. These are those notes.

First, here’s the timeline I made for myself – an expanded version of the one that Dark Horse publishes on their site:

About the SW Timeline

As you can see above, the Star Wars universe is at least 5,000 years old – and based on some of the other expanded universe material as much as 25,000 years old. And this is just recorded history. Just from my quick look, it seems that estimates place the sentient/habited portion of the SW universe at maybe more than 100,000 years old.

Side note: Interestingly, this is why technology is so much less important in SW than in Star Trek. While the people in 'Trek have only been traveling the stars for a few hundred years, SW’s repulsorlifts, light weapons, and light-speed drives have been around for hundreds of millenia.

Anyway, the SW timeline revolves around a key point in time: the battle of Yavin – when Luke and pals blew up the Death Star at the end of Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope. You’ll therefore see dates interchangeably as:

BBY: Before the Battle of Yavin
ABY: After the Battle of Yavin
Before ANH: Before A New Hope
After ANH: After A New Hope
BSW4: Before Star Wars IV
ASW4: After Star Wars IV

…and yes, I was lazy in my chart and used whatever one popped into my head at the moment.

The Issues Column/Getting Started

As a comic n00b, at first I had a hard time understanding how all the different comic series and runs fit together. There were lots of cool comics on the shelves, but I had no idea where to start to “follow” one of them. Here’s some advice based on my experience. (You are, of course, welcome to take or leave the advice.)

First, if you’re brand new to comics/SW comics, just head to the store, look at a few, and buy an issue of something that turns you on. Don’t worry about starting the story from the beginning or finding the “best” place to start. Just find something you like. The best part is that they’re not very expensive, so buy a couple of different ones.

Once you’ve found something you enjoy, it’s time to find all of 'em. SW comics come in three general formats:

Single Issues: These are traditional “comics,” which encompass one small bit of a story. They’re published every few weeks or months and can also be found in many stores as “back issues.”

Trade Paperbacks (TPBs): These are small paperback “novels” made out of between three and six (usually) single issues. They’re printed on more durable paper and are easier to read – and a little cheaper than buying all the single issues. Most SW TPBs run between $15 and $18 (off shelves in the USA).

Omnibusses: Sometimes DH will release a large collection of many, many comics – hundreds of pages – in an Omnibus. These are slightly smaller vertically and horizontally than issues and TPBs, but almost always run $25 – the cheapest way to read a series.

The bad news is that TPBs often aren’t released until months after the last issues in the TPB is published. So if you’re waiting for the next piece of the story, you might wait three-five months to see the TPB – whereas you could buy the next issue in just a few weeks. My personal policy has been to buy the TPBs to “catch up” on series that interest me, then snag single issues going forward to stay on top of 'em. But that’s just me.

At any rate, the “issues” column shows you what issues are included in a specific run/TPB. Most all the runs are available as TPBs, so, for example, if you really want to know about the Stark Hyperspace War, you can buy the Stark Hyperspace War TPB which includes Star Wars original comics issues #36-#39, the Star Hyperspace War run. Make sense?

When possible, I’ve also tried to note in the “notes” column which comics are available in Omnibus form.

Final Note

I realize that there are some inconsistencies in my chart and that I may have made some mistakes. It’s a work in progress on my end, mainly so I can tell what to snag on my next trip to the shop – or if I stumble on a back issue sale or such I can determine whether something will help me get a section I’m interested in or not. Hopefully it’s helpful to you as well.

And some personal recommendations for those heading out to check out a few issues:

If you’re a KOTR fan…

There’s a whole Knights of the Old Republic series which is now up to 29 issues. The first 18 issues are available in three TPBs, and the fourth is on its way soon. You’ll get a kick out of Zayne Carrick and his pals. Plus there’s a really hot blue chick. Really.

If you’re a IV-V-VI fan…

I’d whole-heartedly recommend the Empire series. It’s completed its run, which means that all 40 issues – plus Star Wars: A Valentine’s Story are available in seven TPBs. This series sort of Rosencrantz and Guildensterns its way through the movies, and it’s badass. If you’re looking for something to look forward to in coming months at the 'shop, try Rebellion. Good stuff.

If you’re a “what happened next” fan…

The Legacy series is for you. It’s a current-run series now up to 24 issues with 1-13 available in two TPBs and a third on the way. The art is awesome, and Cade Skywalker isn’t your father’s Skywalker.

But if you want to see some of the “older” art, try Dark Empire. It’s from a different DH period, and the story’s awesome, following Luke Skywalker in the time period around 10 ANH – just after the Thrawn trilogy of novels. It’s available in two paperbacks, which are both available in two or three different printings. You can tell the “first printings” easily as the art on the cover looks like the art inside. Later printings feature more modern cover art. Inside, they’re all the same.

Along this same line, I’d highly recommend Mara Jade: By The Emperor’s Hand. If nothing else, it gives you a great idea of why Luke’s future wife is such a badass; yeah, she has a capital-P-Past.

If you’re a “what if” fan…

There’s a whole series of “out of continuity” stories called Infinities published in three TPBs – one each for each of the original three movies. Each of them imagines what might happen if things went down somewhat differently. For example, the Infinities: The Empire Strikes Back TPB tells the story of what might’ve happened if Luke died on Hoth.

If you’re a humor fan…

Snag yourself the Tag and Bink TPB. It’s a total sendup of the SW universe and a good time. Keep an eye out for H2G2 and other fun references in this. It’s totally off its rocker.

Enjoy.

This rocks man.

Yarvin!!!

Heresy!!! Heresy I say!!! It’s YAVIN!!! THE BATTLE OF YAVIN!!!
Sorry my inner SW geek is coming out there.

Great job on the timeline though. Do you have a file version somewhere? The print is too small for me to read on my 22’ monitor.

I’m telling you Chuck, my boy, the comics are only a quarter of the SW universe. Take the X-Wing comic series for example. The comic series and the book series, at least most of it, are written by the same author, Mike Stackpole. The comics have direct consequences in the book series.

Edit: About Dark Empire… If you read this series be sure to pick up Emire’s End. That two issue series ties up the Dark Empire story. Read The Thrawn Trilogy for Mara Jade’s first EU appearance . I should also note that there are comic adaptations of each Thrawn Trilogy novel. I highly recommend the Tales of the Jedi series. IMO it is the best DH series. It takes place a few hundred years before KOTOR. At the very least read the TOTJ: Dark Lords of the Sith and TOTJ:The Sith War tradepaperbacks.

I understand that there are Star Wars novels. (I’ve been reading them, too.) This particular thread and forum, however, is about the comics. Maybe you could drop a thread or two about specific Star Wars novels in the General Book Disussion forum?

I do have a file, but don’t want to host it – and it doesn’t display well on the forum.

Hey it’s your site. No problem. I just thought it’s a good idea to explain about the connections in the EU between the books the comics and the vid. games to those jumping into the comics. Some of the series have direct consequences as a result of the books etc. For example TTT is where the Solo twins are born. They then pop up in Dark Empire.

I don’t mean to offend. It’s just that I’ve been a passionate EU fan for most of my life. As a fan I feel it is my duty to explain the Saga that is the EU. Again sorry if I’m being annoying. I’ll shut up about it.

Very cool; thank you for posting this. I just recently read the “Tales of the Jedi” Arc, and I really enjoyed the story of Ulic Qel-Droma. I thought the story arc started off kind off slow and weak, but it definitely got better near the end. Actually, I was disappointed to see it end. Plus it tied in with the Kotor games, which was cool. I am still waiting on the two volumes of “Dark Times” I ordered, but I am definitely looking forward to reading them.

Glad you’re enjoying 'em. I’m getting a big kick out of Dark Times, and it’s now home to the next four Vector parts – fun stuff. #11’s on shelves now, and #12 is due to hit on the 25th!

I’m dumbfounded about the massive amount of material. I wouldn’t even know where to start. I’ve been planning to visit an actual comic shop and will do so soon, but usually I’m a TPB guy and since I like Mara, I think I’ll give Emperor’s Hand a try.

This proves to me one significant thing:

Chuck is my kind of geek. Confronted with a complex system and multiple sources of information…what does he do? Create an Excel file to organize! Woot!

I have started a discussion on Star Wars novels here. It focuses on post ROTJ, but can be expanded to cover the entire 'verse if people feel the need for it.

It’s time to add Star Wars: Invasion to the timeline. 25 years ABY. The Vong invasion is covered here from the perspective of all new main characters. Issue 1 just came out a couple of weeks ago so comic shops can still order in a copy for anyone that is interested with no problem.

There is also an Star Wars app that chronicles the reading order for all the SW books and comics.

I know what you’re talking about. The Star Wars Books and Timeline App. It sure comes in handy, but since I drove my SW consume back a lot, I don’t really need it.

Thanks for bumping this thread. Was just asking about Star Wars comics on twitter.
I’m interested in digital format Star Wars comics — Dark Horse Website is where I’m starting first…

Im three books behind on the most recent SW books. I love reading about Luke with his son.