Superman Arc

I checked, and I’m kind of surprised you guys didn’t do a Superman Arc yet.

You could do one with just the movies (or a subset of them), but I had a different idea.

How about doing 1 Christopher Reeves Superman movie, Superman Returns, and 1 episode each of Lois & Clark and Smallville? I don’t really know enough about the TV shows to pick out good episodes from them, but it could lead to comparisons of each version’s portrayal of the main characters.

Just smacked myself in the head, of corse this should have been suggested. There are movies, smallvile, comics… and one of my fav graphic novels in a while red son.

I agree, the source material is almost infinite. Comics as a base, Radio in the 40’s, serials in the 40’s, TV in the 50’s, Movie in the 70’s and 80’s culminating with a melting pot of all that in the last 2 decade. The concept of Friedrich Nietzsche and his philosophy of the Superman could also be touch to draw parallels. :slight_smile:

I’m sure Sean had a little something for Ursa as a young man.:wink:

Not even mentioning the cultural and philosophical impact on the international culture, art and so much more. The Superman S is almost recognize as much as the American flag, that should say something.

Personal favorite comic featuring Superman, Superman #158 (1963). Introducing the Nightwing name to the DC universe as Superman use another identity in the city of Kandor :stuck_out_tongue: and of course is role in Identity Crisis.

agreed–this would be an ossim arc!

Superman is another obvious choice for an awesome arc. The only downside might be that there is too much stuff, even more than Iron Man and Batman. I would stick with Superman 1, Superman 2, Superman Returns and cover mostly the movies, if only because it makes it more manageable. L & C and Smallville are cool, but I don’t know how they would fit into the arc.

Like I said, it would be cool to compare the portrayals of the main characters (Clark, Lois, and Lex) across the different versions. Not just who they identify more with the characters, but the similarities and differences between the versions.

I’d be fine with just doing the movies, but especially with Smallville finishing up this season, I think it deserves some recognition.

Great ark suggestion. Don’t forget about the 4 season hard to find Suberboy tv series. So far only season one is on DVD and chances of the rest with the better actor coming out are next to nill. Also we might want to take a look at his death and rebirth. I remember where I was when I first heard of the up coming arc in all the superman titles.