Suggestion?

So, as I’m making my way through a year teaching in China, I find myself with a lot of free time to watch movies and such. I’ve got some Kenshin, I have seen Gundam Wing, Ghost in the Shell, Standalone Complex, a lot of Studio Ghibli stuff, etc. that I’ve seen or will see shortly.

What’s worth the effort of trying to find to watch these days? The one problem I’m having at the moment is finding translations into English (because I’m in China, most things are translated into Chinese).

if you find things you’ve watched before and find them dubbed in Mandarin, it will help learning the language by the way.

by the way, if you wants to watch Kenshin, be sure to get the 2 OVAs. They are two stand alone movies. Trust & Betrayal is a mythos based prequel. Reflection is story after the finale. In China one would be called 追忆编 the other would be called 星霜编.

We have two suggestion threads:
http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=8216
and
http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=8311

A lot of stuff is in English on youtube, but I know your youtube access is spotty at best. Would help if you list your favorite specific genres and/or series/movies. You said, “I’ve got some Kenshin, I have seen Gundam Wing, Ghost in the Shell, Standalone Complex, a lot of Studio Ghibli stuff, etc.” but were they your favorites?

I just caught a good one for free on Hulu… in English. Check out Vexille if you haven’t seen it already…

http://www.hulu.com/vexille-2077-isolation-of-japan

Okay, what I have watched (as exhaustively a I can remember, and some of this I’m not proud of)
Bleach up through about episode 150
All of Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz
Robotech the Original Series
Outlaw Star
Armitage III (the first one, can’t remember if its Dual or Poly Matrix)
Ghost in the Shell (First movie and some of the show but not all)
What DBZ I saw on Cartoon Network
What Sailor Moon I saw on Cartoon Network
What Ronin Warriors (Samurai Troopers) I saw on Cartoon Network
What of Inuyasha I saw on Cartoon Network
What Cowboy Bebop I saw on Cartoon Network
What of Kenshin I saw on Cartoon Network (with owning the OAVs now and some other, planning to watch it soon)
Bits and pieces of other Gundam series without learning the names.
Bits and Pieces of Lupin III from season 2 onwards.
Maybe the first 5 episodes of Beserk
Love Hina (and some of its OAVs)
Onegai Teacher
Onegai Twins
Read or Die AMV and series
Witch Hunter Robin
VanDread
And I think I saw Akira at some point…

Studio Ghibli:
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
Howl’s Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Castle in the Sky
Naussica and the Valley of the Wind
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Spirited Away

Favorites definately were the Gundam Wing and some of the movies. I like the more science fiction-y anime, but I love Studio Ghibli for the style.

Both threads should prolly help you. 08th MS Team and the Full Metal Panic series seem to be favorites by not just me. The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye is one of my personal favorites.