Suggested Off-Season Series

Hey Guys…first post (woot!) from Daniel in La.
Here’s a suggestion for something I’d love to hear y’all comment on in the off-season (and I think “Firefly” and “Farscape” were also good suggestions)…RDM was the showrunner on the HBO series “Carnivale” in its first season, and the series was—particularly in its initial season—amazing. Character depth, twisty/turny/bendy story, evil Clancy Brown and the dancing midget from “Twin Peaks”: it’s all there. All said there are about 2 dozen episodes in the whole series (12/season), so it falls somewhere between the single season of “Firefly” and the 4 seasons of “Farscape” in terms of length.
And a suggestion for another obscure film to check out if you haven’t already (and don’t worry, there are no Scotsmen in orange nappies in this one): “The City of Lost Children”. It’s probably one of the strangest and most visually striking films I’ve ever seen, and even has some cloning, artificial life, and cyborging-gone-wrong subplots for the discriminating BSG fan.
Looking forward to the next podcast.

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

–GR

P.S.: What manner of sci-fi website has a spellchecker that flags both “cyborging” and “Hypnotoad” as misspelled? Somebody needs to get an English teacher on that problem.

Thanks for taking the time to register and post, and welcome to the community!

I’ve seen City of Lost Children, which I see very much in the way you describe it. But it’s been a long time since I last saw it, and it’d be fun to check out again. We’re getting lots of suggestions to check out Farscape, which I’d assume we’re going to have to look at sooner or later.

Glad to see you’re a Futurama fan as well. We’re planning a DTA 'cast on Bender’s Big Score at some point in the near future, so if you haven’t checked out the DTAs yet, they’re probably worth a look.

You’re a Firefly fan as well? What’s your favorite ep?

I am a HUGE Carnivale fan and was bummed beyond belief when HBO cancelled it. The first couple of episodes are slow, but the rest of Season 1 and all of Season 2 are worth the price of admission.

Hmmm…tough to say. I suppose it’s probably “Out of Gas”, because it offers so much back story, and reveals so much about the interpersonal dynamics of the crew. “Jaynestown” comes in second, since I think Jayne is my second favorite (after Mal) character on the show, and the episode does such a superb job of playing all his strengths and flaws.
Also a big fan of “The Prisoner”…ever watch? As it turns out, there’s a pretty crafty #6 in that series, too.

Apparently, RDM is a fan, and the number six reference was intentional.

As for FF, “Objects in Space” is easily my fave. Sure-fire way to hook new fans, I’ve found. “Out of Gas” is also up there.

“Jaynestown” I really enjoyed, but I’ve found it doesn’t stand up well to repeat veiwings the way most of the others do. YMMV.

Watched the entire series over three remarkably unproductive days in college… absolutely could not turn it off. Those 2 are my faves as well, though I also really enjoy “Bushwacked” and “Our Mrs. Reynolds.”