StrongLifts 5x5

Has anyone else used StrongLifts 5x5? I’m wondering how well it’s worked for you, what kind of visual definition you were able to achieve, if you’ve had any injuries directly related to the program, and that sort of thing!

Thanks!

I’m starting to feel like this StrongLifts routine isn’t right for me where I am. 5 sets of 5 reps, increasing 5 pounds for each exercise each time you do it (you do them on alternate days). There are only 5 exercises total. While this could probably help build strength in the full 12 weeks of the application, I don’t feel like it’s doing enough to burn down the weight and inches.

TO BE FAIR - I haven’t had a single solid week without some type of interruption. And this might be the uncomfortable tightness in my hamstrings right now, but part of me wants to quit this program for a slightly more traditional 3x10 program of about 8 exercises. My thought is to focus on cardio, with some weights on the side for muscle retention, and then when I get into the 300-325 range, change my main focus to strength training and muscle building. Thoughts?

I think if you’re looking to use the stronglifts as the only method of burning downing the weight and inches, then it will not have the OMG qualities, you are looking for. However, coupled with a decent diet, you will get some results. Purely by lifting heavy over time means that your body has to work harder, tear down the fibres. It then needs to get that fuel to rebuild the muscles.

I will stick at it, you will get stronger and feel great, it will also help in body recomp. The exercises that you use in 5x5 if I remember correctly are the big daddies of lifting, do the bench, deadlift, shoulder press,etc long enough and you will see the benefits.

Start the heavy lifting now in conjuction with the cardio, you will thank us. I managed to go from 20 stone to 15 stone with lifting weights (deadlifts,etc). I was doing about 1 mile runs and capoeira (doing the ginga movement, handstands,etc) and it worked.

EDIT: Are you heavier than 300-325 and going down, or lighter and going up?

Remember that if you are heavy, then you’re already packing on some muscle already…If you are going down to 300, then still do the weights, just modify and be safe.

Right now I’m at 449 on the way down. If you could break it down over a 6 day period, how do you think it’d be best to divide up time between StrongLifts and cardio?

It depends, what do you like to do for cardio?

I prefer low impact stuff like swimming, but i’m finding that with my strength and body type, I have to take rests after every lap or so. Walking is better I think because I keep my heart rate up, and I get a good sweat going, but it can cause a little pain in my legs after a half hour or so. I don’t like using the machines if I can help it.

You know what I was thinking and you are right in that you don’t need to go balls out with the 5x5 as you have quite a lot at your disposal. The main focus is going to be diet (as that will shift most of the weight down) as well as using your own body weight as resistance. What I’m thinking is doing reps of just sitting up and down from the chair, doing wall pushups, stuff like that, carrying bags of heavy shopping, like you said things to get your heart rate up.

Don’t worry, I hate machines as well :confused:

Sorry for being a dick earlier, not an expert but you know as long as you keep moving everyday, it’s going to come off, so if it hurts after 30 mins, stop…you always have tomorrow. then tomorrow, walk 31 minutes and so on, day after 32 minutes. It all adds up.

Best is to get an expert when it comes to the weights, like i said, you’re in the 400’s, you’re packing some muscle anyway (esp in the legs).

No worries, my friend. For what it’s worth, I didn’t detect a hint of dickishness from you, so don’t worry about it! :slight_smile: