Stargate: Continuum reactions

Thanks to the novelty of ‘other means’ I got to see the next Stargate movie in all it’s “should have been the finale” glory.

Continuing the tradition of time travel paradox finales of modern sci-fi, SG:C delivers a surprising well-thought out and at times brilliantly amusing and and engaging piece of Sci-fi yarn. While it hasn’t been my favorite series… well, ever, Stargate is an imaginative show and after what 12 years? The characters are as comfy as slipping on a pair of old slippers. (Aside from the newly added cussing for the DVD crowd, which always seems out of place.) Time travel is always a big mess and more often then not leaves unfortunate plot holes but this one worked out pretty good and even gave a little nod to popular paradoxes. In the end the pieces fall in nicely and the whole movie turned out… better than expected. I would have liked 30-40 min for some more epic confrontations, more time with series favorites, and just not to feel so damn rushed. Still, I prefer it to the Ark of Truth which felt a little all over the place while continuum was a good focuses ride from start to dramatic finish.

I guess it suffers from the Stargate feel… good but never great.

And for those wondering how it all pans out and enjoy a few spoilers:
[spoiler]Expect all your favorite characters to die. i.e. - have a death scene. Except for Mitchell who straps on the hero boots once more and saves the day.

A bit of a spoiler, I would have liked to seen Mitchell meet himself in the new timeline… as the old man who took over his family farm (who somehow had a pic of Mitchell’s grandfather on his mantle???) but alas it was not the case and that guy wasn’t nearly old enough hehe. A time refugee twist would have made it a tasty sci-fi treat.

The rollercoaster ride of a first act really takes things from bad to worse. My favorite bits were what was left of SG-1 trying to adjust to the new timeline… from losing their friends, trust, positions and basically their lives… to trying to fashion a life for themselves in a place they aren’t supposed to or are allowed to exist.

I hope the final incarnation has a tribute to Don S. Davis (sadly underused) in there somewhere.[/spoiler]
Even if this is the last of the SG movies (don’t know where else they could go now), I think this is a great one to hang their hats on.

I guess that’s my spoiler-free review:
pieces fall nicely and turns out better than you expect.

I’m looking forward to seeing this movie. The last one was alright, but the Ori storyline didn’t interest me as much as the enemies of earlier seasons. The Arc of Truth seemed more like season 11, which doesn’t really work in just 2 hours.

Sweet the new movie is hitting the “other means” scene? Thanks for the heads up Fifth. :slight_smile:

I’ll check it out by “other means” but I’ll still be buying the DVD too. I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about Continuum so I’m raelly looking forward to it.

I just finished watching it. Very enjoyable. Although it reminded me a lot of the episode ‘Moebius’

I watched it last night. All I can say is that this was the best SG experience since SG-1 season 7. It was great to see the system lords make a come back.

If you noticed, it was all Daniel (at least that was all I noticed). I get the sense that Michael Shanks has a foul mouth and likes to use it. :rolleyes:

[spoiler]Expect all your favorite characters to die. i.e. - have a death scene.[/spoiler]

Always my favorite part of anything Stargate: [spoiler]Oh my God! They killed Daniel! You Bastards! :D[/spoiler]

[spoiler]A bit of a spoiler, I would have liked to seen Mitchell meet himself in the new timeline… as the old man who took over his family farm (who somehow had a pic of Mitchell’s grandfather on his mantle???) but alas it was not the case and that guy wasn’t nearly old enough hehe. A time refugee twist would have made it a tasty sci-fi treat.[/spoiler]

I was half-expecting and half-hoping that [spoiler]Mitchell would actually be his own grandfather, a la Fry in Futurama[/spoiler] but how it worked out was satisfactory IMO, although your idea sounds clever.

[spoiler]My favorite bits were what was left of SG-1 trying to adjust to the new timeline… from losing their friends, trust, positions and basically their lives… to trying to fashion a life for themselves in a place they aren’t supposed to or are allowed to exist.[/spoiler]

Agreed! I loved [spoiler]Daniel’s pep-talk to himself. :p[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I hope the final incarnation has a tribute to Don S. Davis (sadly underused) in there somewhere.[/spoiler]

Agreed. I was hoping he would have had a larger role in this, although, of course, hindsight is 20/20. :frowning:

I guess that’s my spoiler-free review:
pieces fall nicely and turns out better than you expect.

I enjoyed it. Would have been nice to have a little more Jack, but I’ll take what I can get…

Yeah, I was wondering about that. [spoiler]Was that supposed to be Ra in the line of System Lords? Even with his future knowledge, I can’t imagine that Baal could have possibly rallied Ra to his cause. For that matter, where were Hathor and Osiris? And what about Anubis? Without Daniel’s influence on Oma Desala, Anubis would have been unstoppable…[/spoiler]

I agree that there should have been more Jack. It seemed like this was more “phoning it in” acting like we got in season 8. Although, his scenes as a navy officer were well done.

[spoiler]Yeah, that odd looking kid had me thinking the same thing about Ra. He just seemed out of place IMO. I imagine the line up they had is everyone they could afford or who wanted to do the film. The Anubis storyline would have been too distracting to add to what the film was about. I just take what happened is that Baal somehow figured out how to deal with Anubis with his foreknowledge of the future. [/spoiler]

You definitely do get the sense that he really isn’t all that into it anymore. At least he was in it. I really can’t see a real “ending” to the series without him.

[spoiler]Yeah, that odd looking kid had me thinking the same thing about Ra. He just seemed out of place IMO.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]According to IMDb, it was supposed to be Ra. The actor from the movie isn’t acting any more, so I guess they got a reasonable facsimile. Seems to me that if they couldn’t have gotten the original, why not just say that he killed Ra rather than hiring a placeholder?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I imagine the line up they had is everyone they could afford or who wanted to do the film.[/spoiler]

It’s not like they got any lines anyway. :rolleyes:

[spoiler]The Anubis storyline would have been too distracting to add to what the film was about. I just take what happened is that Baal somehow figured out how to deal with Anubis with his foreknowledge of the future. [/spoiler]

I suppose, but [spoiler]I think it was fairly clear that only an Ascended Being had any hope of dealing with him. And there’s no reason to assume that “The Others” would have been any more hands-on in the alternate timeline than they were in the usual one.[/spoiler] In all honesty, I’m sure it was just ignored for time, pacing, and cost considerations…

[spoiler]Hmm I am running the whole movie in my mind again but I don’t recall an odd looking kid who looked like Ra. Where abouts was this appearance?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]After Baal has changed the timeline and he is talking to the system lords. The kid is on the far left end of the line up and has a bald head with a pony tail sticking straigt off the top of his head.[/spoiler]

Roughly 59 minutes and change…

[spoiler]Here are some caps:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/badgerspoon/snapshot20080715212632.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/badgerspoon/snapshot20080715212734.jpg[/spoiler]

I guess I was wrong on the hairdo. :stuck_out_tongue:

[spoiler]That is Ra’s symbol, correct?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Not really, at least going from the movie, it should be the wedjat. But he’s got to be Ra, since there really isn’t anyone else who it could be, and Ra is listed in the credits.
[/spoiler]

8hrs till the illigitimate mitBorrent download
KREEEEEEEEEEE

Boxy I have something to tell you. I am a skrull

so your a shapeshifter?

OMGOMGMOGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG its downloaded
im about to splode

I saw it. I am very happy. It was aweomse. I ate lots of blue jello. The end was awesome, I was not expecting that…but ifI had seriously thought about it, I wouldn’t have been suprised.