Star Trek: Ongoing

I just read Issues 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Ongoing by IDW Publishing. Basically the comic starts near where the 2009 movie left off. Personally, I LOVE it. I originally bought it digitally through the iPad app, but then after reading 1 issue I went to the store and picked up both physically so I could collect the series. I have to say that they did a really really good job with adapting the feel from the big screen to comics. It also has a great TOS vibe which is a bonus.

Anyone else check it out yet?

Yes indeed. http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?9651-June-29-2012&p=391388&viewfull=1#post391388

I also mentioned this on a recent Legends podcast. Excellent work. Looking forward thier take on Galilieo 7 and Operation Annihilate should be interesting

The fact that Robert Orci (producer on the Trek films) is involved make it that much better. in fact , these are looked at as adventures that take place between the '09 flick and the upcoming sequel
http://trekmovie.com/2011/09/30/orci-star-trek-sequel-scouting-underway-comics-to-foreshadow-sequel/

Sounds cool! I need to check that out. Also Juandrew mentioned the Star Trek comics that fill in the missing pieces of Abrams Trek. I gotta get on that too.

Yea - I was really impressed with them. I just can’t wait to get my hands on more of them. Definitely my fav new comic series by far.

Definitely been hearing praise for this new series. I’ve been curious, but this one I may have to wait for trades, stupid budgets.

Yeah - I’d suggest waiting as if you’re anything like me you’ll be hooked once you read one! :smiley:

The series has been excellent so far. It was nice to see them change a few things so it wasn’t just a simple adaptation of the episode with the old characters just being drawn like the new actors.

Really looking forward to reading these. I have #1 thru #4 ready to read on my iPad.
Before I read them, I wanted to read Star Trek Countdown and Star Trek Nero …which I just finished, so now I’m ready to embark on Ongoing.

Thanks to Chuck for the tip via twitter, IDW is having a sale where each issue of the Star Trek ongoing is 99 cents!
http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2114

Just got the first one, interesting, hope it changes from the original a bit more as it goes on…

I just read the first one. Love it. As a hard hardcore ST TOS fan, I am so so familiar with all the TOS episodes.So it’s so great to watch the story play out with significant differences that make sense.
[Spoiler]
Love that Dr. Dehner was on not on the ship because of the fact that she apparently had some romantic history with McCoy and therefore wasn’t comfortable signing on board the Enterprise. And remember of course, that McCoy was not in the TOS “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. So right there there is a MAJOR consequence. McCoy’s presence causing Dr Dehner’s absence and now she won’t be be there to either aid or thwart God/GaryMitchell. [/spoiler]
Personally, I prefer to see subtle divergences from the original …ones that make logical sense. (Like the above).

Started Reading Star Trek Ongoing #3 last night. Galileo 7!! Which is cool…except so far nothing has happened that’s at all different that TOS episode. I hope there’ SOMETHING just to make it interesting.
Doesn’t matter though. I love seeing the Star Trek 09 versions of the character and the Star Trek 09 version of the Enterprise playing in these TOS episode plots. :smiley: