Star Trek (JJ Abrams Reboot) vs Iron Man 1, 2 & 3/Avengers (Modern Marvel w/ RDJ)

The Summer 2013 movies have official started their barage on our senses and our wallets. Two of the summer’s larger movies, Star Trek: Into Darkness and Iron Man 3 have had massive opening weekends and I’m GUESSING that many of you have already seen these two mega-action films or plan to in the very near future.

For those of us that grew up with The Original Series Kirk, McCoy, Spock, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov these new movies have been a breath of fresh air for an IP that had almost run it’s course. JJ Abrams added plots and twists and new technology to renew the presence onscreen while keeping true to the original characters. The casting was as impressive as the original actors and the story was riveting, thoughtful and entertaining.

//youtu.be/HcFLgkCKi1Q

//youtu.be/r5gdbUC9mWU

One year before JJ Abrams’ Rebooted Star Trek hit our movie theaters Marvel brought out a hidden gem with Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man. Since then we’ve seen RDJ as our favorite genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist three more times with Iron Man 2, the Avengers and now Iron Man 3. To those in the comic world Iron Man was always a favorite since arriving around the start of the Vietnam War in 1963. To non-comic book fans Iron Man was a relatively nobody from Marvel with fans more acquainted with The Hulk or Captain America. His obscurity is no longer and RDJ IS Iron Man. Arguably Iron Man is most responsible for the smashing success of The Avengers as history’s 3rd highest grossing film of all time.

//youtu.be/bK_Y5LjSJ-Y

//youtu.be/FNQowwwwYa0

//youtu.be/eOrNdBpGMv8

//youtu.be/aV8H7kszXqo

This week we’re doing a little friendly matchup: Star Trek v Iron Man and we’re starting with the movies themselves. Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek: Into Darkness vs Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Avengers and Iron Man 3. Which are the better movies to you? Now, for the utilimate caveat: NO SPOILERS! That’s right folks! To help out folks who haven’t been able to see the latest movies yet PLEASE LIMIT YOUR DISCUSSIONS IN REGARD TO STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS AND IRON MAN 3 TO THE TRAILERS ONLY. We thank you for your consideration to others that haven’t been able to see the movies yet for whatever reason.

Enjoy! Discuss! And pick your winner! Trek or Iron?

After IM3 I feel completely justified … in the future if anyone floats “Iron Man versus {insert name here}” please some one post “Two words … Pepper Potts” reply.

I do get tired repeating myself :slight_smile:

OB

Now Iron Man versus James T Kirk … we might have a problem.[/QUOTE]

OB

JJ Trek movies are fine and admirable and made of pure, refined awesomesauce. But the Marvel movies are delivering something that never existed before*: Taking the Marvel Comics vibe-ethos-spectacle and putting it all onto the big screen, in (sorta) live action.

• Yeah, I mean, the first 2 X-Men movies were pretty good. But what if Favreau or Whedon helmed them? They’d still be in theaters.

JJ introduced new technology in Star Trek?!?!?

Sure! Lens flares. Sulu’s folding energy sword. Touch screen swipe computing. A new Enterprise. He modernized it at least.

I’ve thought about this one for a while. When I posted this match I had no idea which renewed/rebooted franchise I was going to vote for. I consider either IP a win and I throughly enjoy watching all these movies over and over and over and over again.

I like Tony Stark. I love his tech. But I don’t like the man. I’m more of a Cpatain America guy. That aside I do like the Iron Man movies. Very much so.

On the other hand I love Star Trek. I love the team approach. I love the backstory I already have on the characters. I like the Enterprise - perhaps more than I should - but definitely more than the suits. I love how the Trek crew is family and always work together to pull off miracles. So for those reasons I will be placing my vote on Star Trek.

^^^ For me, one of the hallmarks of good fiction is when characters you like do things you don’t like, and characters you don’t like do things you do like.

Also, Pepper Potts.

In this Deathmatch, everyone wins.

What if Loki somehow commandeered the Enterprise?

“Why would a god need a starship?”