Star Trek Into Darkness *Spoilers*

I saw the movie again with HubAZ. He enjoyed it very much, I cried considerably less at the goodbye.

I didn’t get made fun of for being a geek as a kid/teen. I kept that stuff to myself, but I got harassed and made fun of for many other things. I can see the point that others are making about turning our favorite stuff in to crossover crap for the masses- hell, I bitch the loudest at all the Muggles who slip into SDCC. But in the end I have to believe there is going to be a small segment of those Muggles who will want more after seeing JJ’s movies and they’ll have to come to us eventually, to our community and many of them will find a home here. That is a good thing, so I still believe it’s great when anyone says Star Trek is cool.

I took the warp bit to mean all federation ships have X max warp speed but the Juggernaut was designed to be the fastest ship in the fleet

This wasn’t the /Wrath/ of Kahn. This was Botany Bay. This is the set up to the fear and rage etc if they choose to bring Kahn back later in the franchise.

As far the original universe call backs…man that’s just total fan service. The theatre cheered when Old Spock popped up on screen, it was /awesome/

I drive a modified T Series Lola …

//youtu.be/CxBV-nxQiXQ

OB

There are legion of “mistakes” that my “Star Fleet Battles” aspect could reinforce. However, I want to be nice and play nice with the generation of folks that came before me. It’s not my Trek, it’s yours. Make of it what you will :slight_smile:

If it inspires you … awesome. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy … awesome as well. If it gives you something to take with you all the days of your life … well, that’s good too.

<Musical Interlude>

//youtu.be/bTGdGKEEiYE

OB

P.S. It’s not the art that you consume. It’s the art that consumes you that truly matters in this life.

You knew this was coming but it is tremendously funny anyway.

io9: Star Trek Into Darkness: The Spoiler FAQ

History Channel is reshowing its two hour Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe tomorrow and Thursday night or you can watch it online. JJ, production crew, and many sci-fi, science luminaries (like David Brin!) are there for interviews. This may remain the best behind the scenes look perhaps rivaling past and future Blu-Ray features.

Not my favorite movie, but in the lower top 5.
I still HATE how they treat the interior of the Enterprise, also we suddenly change the Warp reactor even after they (sort of) showed us what a Warp reactor would look like in the new Universe.
Leaking steam on spaceships bugs the heck out of me, and at least this time, I didn’t notice pour concrete as bulkheads like the reboot.

On a fun theory, the bald Klingons, maybe these are the Klingon/Augment hybrids that were Season 4 of Enterprise… there were millions of them, being made to patrol a “dead area” of a planet would seem like a proper way to shun / get them out of the Empires hair!

Lastly, LOVED, Loved, LOVED the NX-01 model on the Admirals desk! Nice shout out…

I was going to mention it, too! Want to read up before posting, tho! LOVED the reference!!

Man, so much good discussion going on about this movie! I can’t really disagree with anything anyone has said so far; there are so many people I’d have to quote that it’d be a huge chore so I’m just going to speak my piece.

In spite of everything, I enjoyed the movie; I’m actually going again today to see it with my father. I had been unsure of the whole John Harrison/Khan angle - I figured that it might be a smokescreen on the part of the producers but didn’t have any hard evidence that the villain was Khan - and they did a decent enough job of muddying the waters in the film, at least at the start, that I was still unsure until the final reveal. I had the gist that this guy was an Augment, but I still had an inkling that he might have been someone other than Khan - the ‘Section 31’ shoutout made me think, at least for a bit, that he might really have been a Starfleet agent who had been genetically enhanced.

As to their attempt to essentially rework/combine Space Seed with Wrath of Khan - overall I think they did well. Some of the Kirk/Spock buddy cop movie stuff did seem a bit forced (particularly the cleverly reversed ‘death scene’) but there are a few things that need to be considered. First, we don’t know how long Kirk has been in command of the Enterprise and thus given he and Spock time to work together - it could’ve been close to a year or more, for all we know. Second, keep in mind that Spock is essentially suffering from PTSD - he’s still dealing with the emotional trauma of losing both his mother and his planet, and then he almost dies. Plus he’s got Pike’s death throes swirling around in his head - all of that adds up to alot of bad head space when Kirk finally buys it.

Yes, as with the first film, there are many technical inconsistencies and things that just don’t make sense from an engineering standpoint. Trek has never stayed consistent with the matter of being able to fire energy weapons at warp speeds - that’s supposed to be the reason why starships carry torpedo weapons (as the beam energy gets scattered at FTL speeds, much like a stream of piss in the wind :stuck_out_tongue: ). Also, who designed the interior of the Enterprise to include huge, vertical, circular chasms with crossing walkways? Did the Starfleet Corps of Engineers never consider the possibility that any of their (admittedly) highly sophisticated starships might lose artificial gravity at some point? I know that the Enterprise has always been depicted as having sleek, smooth corridors, but now that I think about it, there really should be some sort of emergency harnesses (ala the ones used by the bridge crew) or at the very least, some handholds, to keep people from plummeting to their deaths in such a situation.

Does this film feel like Classic Trek? I’m leaning towards no; the Abrams-Trek/Star Wars-hybridization theory is a valid one. But is it ‘not’ Trek? Again, I lean towards no. These films are certainly very ‘Kirk & Spock-centric’, but to a certain extent, so was the original series. The other command staff, while important, have always been secondary characters. Granted, the original series was able to develop all of the characters to a much greater degree and lend them more weight than can be done in a couple of two-hour films - McCoy and Scotty I think are two prime examples of this - but I don’t get the sense that any of them are relegated to minor roles in the films. Sulu and McCoy didn’t seem to feature as prevalently in this film as the last, which was a bit disappointing, but at least they finally gave Uhura her due. These films may not have the heavy, complex moral conundrums of the series, but I do think that this one (much more so than the first) did touch on alot of issues that are topical to this day and age. All in all, I think that if the mass appeal of these films encourages just a handful of ‘non-geeks’ to take the time to watch any of the other Trek films or series (and they enjoy that) then it’s going to be a good thing for Trek, because we can always use more Trekkers, right?

I’ve added a lot of positive comments on the movie and I enjoyed it as much the second time as I did the first (that’s a good thing)

but I did have two gripes that stuck through…

1. How fraking LONG was engineering?!?!?! And the design was horrid looking too
  2. The “freefall scene” at the end…how damned long did it take for gravity to pull the two ships down to Earth? Geesh, they warped from Kronos quicker!

The cast crew and chemistry is growing…I did notice and enjoy the McCoy/Spock banter the second time around, I just wish we had a lil more bones in this one…and poor Chekov got jobbed by being the backup engineer…

I hope we see more Section 31, and the Klingon War in the next movie…

and holy hell Abrams is gonna do an awesome job in the faster-paced Star Wars universe me thinks…

I disagree….when Sulu said “impossible readings” I took it to mean that he simply couldn’t grasp what he was seeing. This is a ship designed to go faster and have more firepower than anything in the fleet….in TOS it was not rare to hear that some ships were faster than Enterprise and vice versa…here, you get a chance to see it.

That being said - I can understand why some TOS fans aren’t exactly into this film or Abrams’ take on it. But then…it’s not a TV series…it’s a movie. Unfortunetly, we won’t have a lot of time to spend with these characters except every two or three years. Plus - this is an alternate universe Trek…every character is different. It was one of the reasons I was hoping Khan would be involved…I wanted to see how they would integrate him into this new universe. And I personally wasn’t dissapointed. Plus the mention of Section 31 was really pretty amazing as well.

i can’t completely go with the thot of “this is Trek in name only”, tho I understand the sentiment. The killing off of Amanda, destruction of Vulcan were some bitter pills to swallow for die hard fans. I wasn’t exactly thrilled with Kirk getting copmmand so quickly. But these aren’t those exactl characters. And, for me, Kirk became “Kirk” we asked for his crew to be spared. This was also a message film about how we are dealing with the War on Terror.

If anyone is interested…Legends Podcast will be discussing it in about two weeks or so. If you want to hit us up with questions/thots/etc drop a line at nightwing@legendspodcast.com or beef@legendspodcast.com or operator@legendspodcast.com.

Peace out

That is too much! Brilliant!

Q: I don’t know. I think it’s nice that in this day and age, a white male can still be cast as an Indian played by a Mexican. White men really have come a long way!

A: I’m going to punch you in your throat.

Or is it A, then Q? Regardless, go read it.

We didn’t have any Eugenics Wars in the 1990s, unless you count Dawson’s Creek.

//youtu.be/raGFI8pUau0

Yes brilliant read. I still want to be nice and let the difference in Faux Trek slide. It’s a summer popcorn muncher with only a passing similarity to my beloved TOS.

OB

P.S. you do realize that the Next Gen. Reboot/Reimagine is in the On-deck circle … no?

As for the Eugenics Wars, there are a couple novels that explain it away as basically a covert war. Almost (but not exactly) like the current war on terror, but with Khan pulling the strings.

Yep, and that the existence of the Eugenics Wars wasn’t really understood until decades later when historians pieced it together. Kinda like imagining if there was an actual conspiracy unveiled for JFK’s assassination in 2020; sure, it happened a long time ago but would rock society. Now apply this to all the brushfire wars and big terror attacks and whatnot through the end of the 90s.

You know who they should get to play Picard when that happens? Patrick Stewart. Hell, reunite the whole cast.

and Alice Eve could play Tasha Yar … I hear good things :wink:

OB

I finally got to see this movie, and even being pre-spoiled the day before by a movie podcast (GRRRRR) I really, really enjoyed this film. It was clever, deep, interesting and paid total homage to the fans and Trek history. Sure there were action PEW PEW PEW scenes, but that was coupled with very rich character work. Was it better than the first? Maybe. Any movie that isn’t encumbered with having to do origin and backstory already has a headstart. I wish I could have had the Khan reveal gasp, but even without that I enjoyed watching how they built up to it.

You know what I really like? Engineering looks like engineering. It is not clean. It is not jammed in a small room. It looks like the belly of a battleship and that feels right to me.

I’ve been thinking that the next movie will be focused on the Klingons, but I just had a different thought that scares me a bit.

While a Mirror Universe movie would be interesting, one with the Klingons as the primary adversaries would make sense and would probably have less chance of resulting in too direct of homages like Into Darkness has.

So I saw the movie on May 16…the day before (?) nation-wide release. That’s a big deal for me…I never seen movies anywhere near opening day…plus I see very few movie in the theater these days.
Last year: Avengers, Batman, Hobbit (and a couple of kids movies).

Once I saw the movie I knew there were a number of things I liked, and a number of things I didn’t.
The things I didn’t I could immediately articulate, whereas the aspects I liked I couldn’t put into words.
And I didn’t want to knee-jerk and immediately post a negative rant.

So I decided I’d wait a week before posting any thots here on the forum.
Weeks have now turned into nearly a month, and my feelings about the movie have soured more than improved. So better than nothing, here goes:

First off, I aggree with everything Frakkintalos and Casilda say above.
Though I think unlike Talos I’m not as completely negative about it, but rather disappointed and philosophical about it

I’m not gonna say “It’s not Star Trek”. Let’s remember that Star Trek was kinda dead before ST 2009 came along. And these movies are an attempt to revive the franchise.

On the positive side, yes it was an enjoyable movie experience. Looked great, acting great, story tight and kept moving.
And am I glad it exists? Yes. Star Trek on the big screen. I’d rather have it than not have it.

Now here’s my objections. I wish the story hadn’t made such a clumsy attempt to rehash an old already revivied character: Khan.

Here’s what I had wished they had done instead: In order of preference. 1 being highest.

1. GIVE US A NEW STORY.
    Star Trek 2009 did a very clever thing by rebooting and reintroducing Star Trek with a brand new time line. What that means is the door was open in the sequel for a brand new work of imagination …new villians, new situations, new anything.
    So…AWESOME. Give us a brand new work of imagination. Carve out new territory.
    They chose not to do that.

2. BASED IT AROUND ANOTHER STORYLINE FROM TOS.
    Maybe the Gary Mitchell story from Where No Man Has Gone Before. Maybe something else.
    Wrath of Khan did a clever thing reviving Khan as villian. Be clever and do that with A DIFFERENT character.
    They chose not to do that.

3. KHAN DONE RIGHT. NOT SILLY. Okay, it’s a tough spot. Your actor leaves and you have B. Cumberbatch. A Brit. A very very white Brit. I guess it’s lose lose whether you instead did a Indian actor…to match the name Khan Noonian Singh. …Or do you go with a Hispanic actor to match with Riccardo Montelbaum. Probably weighing deep into politically incorrectness ether way. But… now with Cumberbatch, one can only say WTF?

Okay. So Khan …this brilliant, power-hungry dude from the past is gonna accept working as a secret agent for some douchey Admiral? I don’t buy it.
Don’t get me started on the silliness of Peter Weller’s Black Hat villian as the Evil Admiral…You can tell he’s evil cuz he’s got a black ship that’s like totally black…Oh, and the crew all has special batman villian type uniforms. Very nice.

Now let’s talk Kirk death scene.
These thots went thru my head as I watched this scene with my head tilted to one side.

Why should I care about this Kirk death scene when:
(a) You know that they’re not gonna kill of Kirk.
(b) We’ve seen this same seen before in Wrath of Khan.
© The movie completely telegraphs that Khan has blood that can heal the dying. So we know Kirk ain’t gonna die.

Top the scene off with the emotionally in control Spock yelling…completely out of place…KHANNNN!!
(time to feel nausea )

…on, and the Klingons completely interesting. Go back and learn something from Search From Spock as long as you’re stealing ideas.

So anyway. This movie was disappointing and missed opportunity.
And I’m upset about it.

…and I do feel a little bit of what Frakkintalos said earlier in this thread.

Before ya’ll get defensive, don’t assume all this means I not happy most people like the movie.
Good on ya. It was made for you guys. And, it was a very well made movie.

But let us who are upset up it have our say too.

I feel a lot of what Talos says here:

Perhaps. I am not above these things. Nor am I afraid to admit the foolishness of it. However, I cannot escape my feelings. Growing up I was mocked for my love of Star Trek. “Ha Ha, you have no friends and live in your mom’s basement. Geek. Nerd. Dork. Ha Ha.” Yeah, hilarious. Through GWC, I’ve met friends. They are well-educated, well-read, well-versed, and well-rounded people. I’ve watched the show I grew up loving with them and heard their critique and praise for it.

I’ve been trying to put my finger on what exactly is bothering me. I think I have. As I mentioned, I was mocked for my love of Star Trek and scifi. Now it is chic, geek chic. Yet, it still feels like mockery. “We” didn’t like it before, but now it’s cool. That is not true appreciation. That is not true admiration. That is not true understanding. That is still marginalizing.

Yeah. I’m with you my friend. I feel once again misunderstood, marginalized and pushed into the corner.
It feels familiar and not in a good way.

I appreciate your thots, Thot!

I also appreciate how clearly you articulate that it’s great that others like the film.

You and me and 'talos can all hang out in that marginalized corner together. It’s good company, after all :slight_smile: