Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 5x5 The Assignment

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Tuesday, 21 May 2013
10 PM Eastern - 7 PM Pacific

“For the first 40 minutes it was like pulling teeth even getting him to admit his name.”

Hehehe Rom’s following O’Brien’s diet

They’re not JUST PLANTS!

Molly’s so funny… “not me!”

Disgusting hu-mon breakfast! :eek:

Finally, an episode where everyone can agree that Keiko is a bitch. :smiley:

Possessed-Keiko is a great moment for some meta “how do we deal with problems like this”

I’m like Leslie Knope… holding strong against use of the b-word…

Evil pah-wraiths are evil.

This was the first episode to mention the Pah-wraiths, the demons of Bajoran religion who are the enemies of the Prophets. O’Brien mentions the Fire Caves, where Kai Winn later attempts to summon the Pah Wraiths in “What You Leave Behind”. However, although this episode represents the first time the Pah-wraiths are mentioned, the origin of the concept can actually be dated back to the first season episode “The Nagus”. While developing “The Assignment”, René Echevarria was trying to come up with a concept that would tie into the Deep Space Nine mythology. He didn’t want the being who possesses Keiko to simply be some random entity, but rather something that would fit into the overall scheme of the show. Ultimately, he suggested that perhaps the aliens in the wormhole weren’t all good, and that there were in fact some evil members of the race. Echevarria however had no idea that four years previously, Robert Hewitt Wolfe had come up with the exact same idea. In the episode “The Nagus”, Sisko and Jake are supposed to visit the “Fire Caverns” on Bajor, and there was a line in the original teleplay where Sisko is told jokingly to “watch out for the Pagh-wraiths.” The Pagh-wraiths were Wolfe’s idea and were supposedly little goblin creatures that lived in the Fire Caves having being cast out of the wormhole and given corporeal form. It was only when Echevarria was trying to find some connection between “The Assignment” and previous episodes that Wolfe returned to his old Pagh-wraiths concept.

I appreciate that they chose to make this something related to the local area as opposed to a planet-of-the-week scheme.

oh, Worf. Trying to be helpful and sympathetic. Love that guy.

Everyone in the station knows your name.

Right. But I won’t confirm it!

Oh, Rom, your professional crush is precious.

It’s really one of the things that makes DS9 unique, bringing all these plot points together like this.

o’brien’s quite the schemer…

It’s nice that Rom is the one who figures out what the pah-wraith is up to

Rom and Leeta, cute.

Also - are there any Bajoran myths that aren’t true-ish?

Pah-wraiths and evil Sith lightning!

That was a well-done episode. An even a story that is internally consistent (sorry I’m still grumping about STID).

Onto Voyager, though next week for DS9? Trials and Tribble-ations! YAY!

Did I miss something? What wasn’t internally consistent about ST:ID?

There’s a lot wrong with that plot. But others on the internet have made lists and commented on it (don’t have links saved though)