Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 5x2 The Ship

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Tuesday, 7 May 2013
10 PM Eastern - 7 PM Pacific

“I know it’s hot. We’re filthy, tired, and we’ve got ten isontons of explosives going off outside. But we will never get out of this if we don’t pull it together and start to act like professionals!”

Moorings released, maneuvering thrusters are on ‘station keeping’. We are ready to leave Captain…

Look, sunlight!

(I may be less talkative than normal… it’s the last full week of our semester and I’ve got grading to finish to turn back tomorrow… :eek:)

oh, Federation, exploiting the natural resources on other planets

“A warship. A Jem Hadar warship.” DUN DUN DUUUNNNN!! :eek:

Omra I think you may be a bit ahead - I’m still in the title sequence (started right at 7 here)

I was so glad they put O Brien on this show, I always liked his character. (His wife is another matter…)

I’m firmly on record as anti all of the Keiko hatred.

Looking on Memory Alpha I know I’ve seen this but I don’t remember it at all, the visuals aren’t feeling familiar. odd.

Ooops. there goes our air support.

The Vorta do not believe in salvage rights I guess…

If I remember the Jem Hadar weapons have an Anti Coagulant, which keeps the wounds from healing…

I like that the redshirts in this episode are less redshirt-y than normal. Besides the whole death thing, of course.

Yeah, they actually gave the guy a chance to develop a little. Which is good, it will make the death more significant when it comes…

Methinks ‘cabin fever’ is beginning to happen…

And Sisko seems to take it much more seriously than Kirk usually did

It has been so long since I saw this, I forgot that a founder was on board…

of course Dax has a collection of medals. of course.

Hans Beimler is extremely proud of one aspect of this episode; the second last scene, between Sisko and Dax, where Sisko reads the list of casualties. According to Beimler, “It’s amazing that in all these years of Star Trek no captain had ever sat down and talked about those consequences. In the Star Trek universe, where we blow people up cleanly with phasers, war seems almost antiseptic. But I think it’s nice to periodically remind ourselves that the casualties are real people, and that when our characters discuss them, they’re talking about people who exist for them. That, to me, was one of the most important moments in that episode, and a great moment for the series.” (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion) This theme, of the real people behind a list of casualties and the loss of life during times of war, would be revisited several times over the rest of the show’s run, in episodes like “Nor the Battle to the Strong”, “The Siege of AR-558”, “What You Leave Behind” and “In the Pale Moonlight”.

I love “In the Pale Moonlight.” Perhaps my favorite Star Trek episode ever.

And Sisko actually knows these casualities. Stuff like this is why DS9 is my most favorite Star Trek.

Nice to revist this episode. DS9 was my favorite series as well, and Sisko was my favorite Captain.

Yeah this was a good one. I’m not sure why I didn’t remember it!

And now for Voyager in 14 :slight_smile: How many essays can I grade in that time!?