Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 4x6 "Rejoined"

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
11 PM Eastern - 8 PM Pacific

“Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you in the middle of the night. No, it is better that you do not know. Excuse me.”

Now we have a Dax story… it feels like ages since we’ve had one of them

that was very sensitive of Benjamin

Lenara Kahn!

And here we have some lack of cultural competence… but Quark is Quark.

"what do Klingons dream about?

things that will send cold chills down your spine, and wake yuo in the night. it is better you don’t know"

I LOVE IT

I really enjoy watching Jadzia and Lenara work through things

so I wonder how this actually works for Trills if they’re not supposed to interact with people with whom they had close personal relationships in previous hosts.

hey this is an RDM one!

LOL Julian Bashir.

Wow those Trill need to just back the eff off and let other people just live their lives.

And The Kiss.

This episode features Star Trek’s first same-sex kiss and is one of the most controversial episodes in the show’s history. According to Ronald D. Moore, “some felt betrayed, didn’t want to see this in their homes. An affiliate down south cut the kiss from their broadcast.” Similarly, René Echevarria says, “my mother was absolutely scandalized by the episode. Shocked and dismayed. She told me ‘I can’t believe you did that. There should have been a parental guidance warning’.” Steve Oster says that a man called the show and complained, “you’re ruining my kids by making them watch two women kiss like that.” Much of the public response mirrored that of the famous Kirk-Uhura kiss.

This is a really interesting way to get at the “taboo” nature of the same-sex kiss without making it about their gender within the show.

Both cast and crew stand by the idea that this episode was not actually about homosexuality, any more than “Plato’s Stepchildren” was about inter-racial relationships. Director Avery Brooks is very clear about this: “it was a story about love, and the consequences of making choices out of love. The kiss was irrelevant.” Just as clear is writer René Echevarria “we could tell the story without ever talking about the fact that they are two women.” Ronald D. Moore makes a similar point: “it deals with homosexuality and sexual orientation and tolerance, but I’m very proud of the fact that nowhere in the episode does anyone even blink at the fact that these are two women. That’s the part that sails by everyone on the show.”

Yes, this!
And Benjamin is such a good friend

RDM says:

it just became this lovely tale about these two forbidden lovers that just couldn’t get over that one had died and didn’t get a chance to say goodbye, and here they come together in these two other bodies, but what they once felt for one another is still there, but the societal taboo was so strong that one of them had to back out, one of them wasn’t willing to take it all the way. It was just a lovely bit of Star Trek because it really was an allegory for our society, and that’s ultimately what Trek does best.

Yup, pretty much :slight_smile:

oh cool Avery Brooks directed this episode, too

oh poor Lenora and the accident

That is another excellent and emotionally charged DS9 episode. Good times!