Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 4x3 "The Visitor"

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Tuesday, 6 November 2012
11 PM Eastern - 8 PM Pacific

“Let go, Jake. If not for yourself, then for me. You still have time to make a better life for yourself. Promise me you’ll do that… Promise me!”

Uh oh this episode has been known to make me teary

Old Jake Sisko, awwwww

I may not have a ton to say about this episode, because it’s just… really enveloping.
“my father died” :frowning:

Many fans of Deep Space Nine have also counted this among their favorite episodes; in a 1996 issue of TV Guide, it was voted the best Star Trek show ever. TV Guide called this result a “shocker”, surprised that “the least popular incarnation of Star Trek has produced the most popular show”.

I am not shocked - this is one of my favorite DS9 episodes, and as DS9 is my favorite Star Trek, also one of my favorite Star Trek episodes.

I love these stories about parent/child relationships. Hence why I so loved the Worf/Alexander episodes in TNG

Oh no :frowning: the accident, it’s coming, Jake’s left alone, aaggghh feelings!

I didn’t step forward. I couldn’t. I felt that no matter what I said about him, I’d be leaving so much more out; and that didn’t seem right.

AH THE FEELINGS IT IS SO DUSTY IN HERE!!!

Avery Brooks sees this episode as an important milestone in the manner in which American TV depicts non-white families. Speaking of the relationship between Sisko and his son Jake, Brooks says “I’m glad that relationship is there. It is, even in the most naive mind, a sin of omission that we have not looked at this side of people raising their children in other television shows, and having some cultural resonance other than that of white Americans. It’s something that we have to see more often, the relationship of a brown man and his son. Because historically, that’s not how it began in this country for brown families who didn’t have the freedom of their own will and volition, let alone the ability to hold their families together.”

Really an excellent observation IMO.

Oh no they’re asking Jake to leave the station :frowning:

“this is my home”
don’t make Jake leave! even more dusty in here…

the time! it’s slipping away.
Also this is just such a good story.

I love the crew getting together to re-create everything and despite their advanced age they get their stuff done!

“have time to make a better life for yourself”
aaggghhh so many feelings

OK this final scene with Jake sacrificing himself for his father? Not just dust, or feelings. Weepy, I am.

and Sisko gets Jake back, knowing what his son would do for him. Such a great and moving story. Now I need to find a way to clear the dust away.