Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 4x24 The Quickening

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Tuesday, 2 April 2013
10 PM Eastern - 7 PM Pacific

“I ordered a glass of prune juice from the replicator in the Defiant’s mess. This is what it came in.”

quark and odo, always fun :slight_smile:

or: Quark the spammer

An away mission! In the gamma quadrant! and nary a redshirt in sight

Well, not any more. :eek:

Julian, Julian, Julian…

Huh. I seem to be missing the subtle ethical commentary here. Maybe if they beat us over the head with it a bit more. :rolleyes:

Wait, I think this might be about the ethics surrounding death. Also, the Dominion sucks. And Julian isn’t superman. :wink:

“How would you like to see a picture of your baby?”

WITCH!!! WITCH!!! :eek:

Although he [i]IS[/i] an übermensch. Do we know that yet?

I don’t think we’ve gotten to that part of his story yet…

Interesting lighting choice, having julian talk about fear of mortality when you only really see his face illuminated by the fire

Technology is evil! :eek:

Doctor experiments, Doctor kills, Doctor gets away with it

Arrogance is the root of evil?

Julian actually has an OK bedside manner there

The working title of this episode was “The Healing Touch”. This title was given to the episode by writer Naren Shankar, but it was changed by René Echevarria because the producers felt that it implied Bashir would be successful in his fight against the blight. Echevarria chose the new title of “The Quickening” as a pun. In the context of the episode, ‘to quicken’ means that the disease has become active, but ‘to quicken’, in reality, also means to come alive, so the title refers to both death and birth. Echevarria was particularly proud of this double meaning.

Doctor throwdown…

that’s a very clean newborn

So this was evidently originally conceived as a bit of an AIDS allegory. interesting about being able to protect offspring, makes me think about HIV treatments in vitro

So, to sum up, euthanasia is bad, technology is bad, and only the unborn have any hope.

Hmm.