Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 4x14 Return to Grace

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Tuesday, 15 January 2013
11 PM Eastern - 8 PM Pacific

“Everything I have lost I will regain. It’s only a matter of time.”

Oh poor Cardassians…

Dukat saying “this is only a temporary setback” is… ominous.

Dukat’s got a point about Kira and her powerful boyfriends.

Ziyal is great.

Dukat is managing to seem not-evil. I do believe we may be in his not-evil phase! Huzzah!

His daughter is really what makes Dukat seem “softer” IMO.

Although the writers were attempting to create ambiguity as to the inherent nature of Dukat’s character, they were never under any doubt that at his core, he was evil, and they always intended to have an incident in the future where that inherent evil would become apparent to everyone once and for all (this eventually happens in the fifth season episode “By Inferno’s Light”). According to Hans Beimler, “He’s always been a Nazi, always. In this episode, you’re aware of different shades to his personality. But, if you think about it, they’re all very self-serving. This is not a pleasant man. He’s done a lot of terrible things.” Similarly, Ira Steven Behr notes, “Dukat is not a nice man. He is not a sensitive man. He likes to act like a sensitive man, but he’s a man of appetites to whom public image is very important, much more important than the truth. He wants to be liked by Kira as much as he likes Kira. I find him reprehensible myself.”

“Best way to survive a knife fight is to never get in one”

Very true, Nerys.

Nerys cares for Ziyal because of Ziyal’s experience. No one wants children to become guerrilla soldiers

Dukat is such a flirt!