Star Tours 2.0

A date has finally been released, May 20th. More information as well as photos and a video at the link below.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-tours-20-open-20th-star-wars-blurays-dated/#more-96310

I was on a Disney cruise last week, and they had an Imagineer on board. He gave a series of three lectures- I missed the first one, but caught the last two. This guy was so interesting! He has been working on the Star Tours ride for the past 4 years and is one of the lead guys in the implementation phase of the project. His name escapes me now, sorry. :slight_smile:

He was able to give a few snippets of info:

*Disney has been working with George Lucas and ILM to update this ride for several years.
*The old ride- traveling to Endor, etc. is completely gone.
*The queue area for the ride has been completely revamped/changed as well.
*Lucas wrote most of the story (which the Imagineer said he could not reveal), but he did say that many of the ideas Lucas came up with were ones they wanted to ask him to include. He said Star Wars fans are going to love it.
*The story encompasses the time period between Episode II and III.
*It is going to be in 3D.

He showed us one picture, which looked like a pod racing scene from Episode I. He also showed us a picture of 2 characters- sorry I could not get my iPhone out in time to snap a picture. They were blue robot like creatures, nothing special.

He gave the opening date for both Disneyland and Walt Disney World as early June, but said a specific date has not been set yet.

Here’s an article from the Orlando Sentinel. There’s a link in it with some concept art

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/la-trb-star-tours-disney-star-wars-03201116,0,4708248.story

Darn, I’m going in early May & will miss this. :frowning:

Here is a sample of what locations Star Tours will visit. Even on the laptop it looks sweet!

//youtu.be/uH3YzXKf2VI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH3YzXKf2VI&feature=player_embedded

Locking neckbeard into attack position:

Ugh, I hope this is concept footage and not representative of the final product:

1. Battle of Hoth - How does this fit into the chronology? It’s an event that takes place 20+ years after the Battle of Coruscant, what mechanism would have both of them happening on the same ride?

2. The Pod Race sequence feels… slow. The TPM presents it as a fast, frenetic race that humans feel ill-equipped to compete in. This, on the other hand, showcased a leisurely Senior-Citizens Pod Stroll.

3. Darth Vader on a flying surfboard was… not totally radical. The dude didn’t exude menace, he looked like a half-butted video game character.

4. The Death Star above Geonosis has a number of problems. First, there’s the basic logical problem of it being built by the Empire (which rose from the Republic, not the Separatists). Second, while the Geonosians were established as being there at the beginning of the DS design-cycle, this would have an almost-complete station in place again 20 years earlier than established in all the OTHER films. Third: Let’s imagine I made a compelling case about how the EU established that the DS was constructed around Despayre and the role of Raith Sienar and the Maw Installation and all that poodoo, but everyone will just dismiss it as non-canon, so, yeah. Fourth: There’s no sense of scale. For it to be changing in aspect so quickly would mean that the ship you’re on is basically a magical flying saucer that can go from zero to 3/4c and back in a fraction of a second. You should not be able to see the construction framework move so rapidly if it’s as big as presented.

The only way this could make sense would be if the storyline is somehow that the Separatists had been building their OWN DS during the Clone War, and the reason you can accelerate up to it so fast has something to do with it being subscale or something, but… meh.

1. Can we go back to how silly Darth Vader looked in that scene?

This looked more like footage from another unsatisfying ‘Force Unleashed’ sequel for the XBox or somesuch nonsense.

Star Wars Nerd Rant Sequence: Complete.

Actually had the ride open the last day I was at the park - just for “testing”. Apparently there are 52 different variations you can get. I went three times and the story has 4 sections, all of which can vary. I won’t spoil, but several trademark sequences are re-visioned and characters from the various movies old & new show up, so it didn’t seem to take place in any particular timeframe with regard to the movies. The line area is almost completely revamped and there’s a lot of detail to look at while you’re waiting. The 3D is awesome & the ride really does knock you around a bit. All in all I was quite pleased with the result & was thrilled I got to see it.