Spore

Out of curiosity, I Googled “Spore” and I got a little creeped out at first because a “USA Today” article headline seemed to imply that the game designer was promoting the idea of Intelligent Design. But after reading the article, I was relieved to find that’s not the case.

As much as I would probably enjoy this game I know it would be TOO addicting for me.
I use to play Sid Meir’s Civilization and it was always like “…maybe just one more turn.” And the all of the sudden it was 3 am.:eek:

Been there…done that…Civilization was brilliant and evil at the same time.

Have you tried ikariam.com? It’s interactive Civ.

join the Eta world.

Think the original Civilization is singlehandedly responsible for me failing out of college the first time around.

People almost filed a missing persons for me when Age of Empires came out.

I hear that. I still play Civ III on occassion and it always seems to end that way for me. Somehow those turns run forever. :wink:

This doesn’t quite have that “one more turn” flavor, except maybe the Space stage.

I don’t have it yet Armando. But it is on my birthday list… :slight_smile:

I’m really tempted to get this, although I can’t really afford to become addicted to a new game now that I’m about to start university. I got the free creature creator when it came out though and it was a hell of a lot of fun to create your lifeform so I think I will end up getting this at some point as I would love to take it through all the stages into space.

Although I did read the space section doesn’t have good gameplay. What do you guys think?

What? The Space section has fantastic gameplay - best in the entire game, I think.

Alright, this has been bugging me for a while, so let me get this straight: The gameplay in Spore is pretty fun all around, at least for me, and I’m a pretty hardcore gamer. For some reason, people expected five full games in one and when they didn’t get that they were disappointed. This was reflected in the reviews, which called it “shallow”. Some phases are a lot more repetitive, and yes, maybe more than a bit shallow than others, but overall it’s enjoyable.

I guess your mileage may vary, depending on what kind of gamer you are.

I have never been a gamer. We never had early nintendo or sega or anything growing up, I never played any of the popular PC games from the 90s, and the whole thing just kind of passed me by. I don’t judge, I just don’t participate. But Spore sounds SO COOL that I have actually considered buying it.

Pong. The first-ever video game that we had at home. Yes, I said Pong. We graduated to the Atari, then to a Nintendo, then Super Nintendo (I actually had to buy this myself as I was in college and no longer able to suck things out of my parents!), then an Xbox (only 'cause I got a 1/2 of one as a gift from my best friend for being the hostess at her wedding reception), and now a Nintendo DS Lite. I’ve played Wii and love it but am too cheap to buy one since all my “excess” cash goes toward silly things like food and gas…

Anyone else notice that in the space stage, in the communications panel, that they play music from old NES games. Awww, the memories. :rolleyes:

I am also in the space stage and find it enjoyable. Two points of frustration:

1. I can’t seem to attach anyone without getting my (sorrybarb) handed to me. 50 to 1 just doesn’t seem fair

2. Finding planets…good lord…do they really think it will be fun to have to mouse over each star to figure out where a planet is? Seriously?

What gives me confidence is that with each stage I have had a serious frustration which I eventually figure out. Like Terraforming…this one drove me crazy. I spent more money on this until figuring out that it wasn’t as complicated as I was making it. Still painful, but I am starting to make a science out of it.

This post is exactly why I must not allow myself to buy Spore.

I’ve been enjoying Spore so far. Anyone made anything cool yet

My first attempt at a Millatary plane

And my first space ship

I hope my inspiration is clear. They are a little rough but I’m sure if I was a little more patient I could refine them

Nice. And, yeah, your inspiration is quite clear.

Any problems with the DRM or acct. restrictions?

My stuff:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mageknight19

I’ll take specific pictures later. I’m really liking the editors, maybe even more than the game itself.

EDIT: On DRM, no issues so far… I’ve only got it installed on one computer, though. You may want to look at this: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080916-ars-puts-spore-drm-to-the-testwith-a-surprising-result.htmlwhich seems to show that it’s really three machines and not three installs forever, period.

BTW…I have totally adopted Mageknight’s factories. Well done!

I haven’t had any problems with it and I don’t see what everyone’s problem is. Games have had DRM forever. In Starcraft you can’t play against others if you have the same key (which would prevent sharing among friends and family) and that was 10 yrs ago. Don’t even get me started on all that Steam craaaaaapppp Valve makes you install for their games. When would you ever need to install on 3 separate machines? Even if you replaced a system every 2 yrs and installed each time that would be 6 yrs and if you are still playing then you may have actually have searched your whole galaxy and after that you would never want to play again.:smiley:

Here is my Spore page.

Magnus, what is your Spore username so we can add you?