Spoilage (?)

Hi. I’m usually a week behind, so please bear with me. I’m a total spoiler-phobe. And I know that the season 4 trailer is up, but I haven’t watched it, and I probably won’t. But in podcast #68, I thought all the discussion of season 4’s trailer was kinda spoiler-y. Granted, Chuck DID warned that spoilers were coming, and that was nice. I feel like I skipped about half the episode, and I still stumbled across some information I rather would have avoided.

Point being: Is discussing something that hasn’t happened in the show proper yet an act of spoilage? I think it is. Please consider it?

The show’s great, so’s the site. Thanks!

• ferris

Dxf,
I have a question on your post. When you say what has not happened yet, do you mean talk of what happened in the trailer or the conjecture about the show from events in the trailer? I posted a theory of what I think might happen after watching the Razor flashbacks, would you consider that a spoiler?
Thanks

I’d have to say “no” in this case. Parsing a trailer is always tricky, so it’s mostly speculation.

For my money, anything that reveals something that hasn’t happened yet is a spoiler. So, from my point of view, the speculation isn’t a spoiler, but discussing the technically-as-yet-unrevealed circumstances leading to said speculation IS spoiler-y.

But I guess they kinda dovetail together, huh?

In the (near) future, entire multidisciplinary college courses will be devoted to this subject.

I feel your pain. We gave this a lot of thought as a group – and I’ve thought about it a lot personally – and here’s my take: we run with what Sci-Fi gives us.

My take is that the “trailers” are almost always designed to make us feel like we’re seeing spoilers when in reality we’re seeing a carefully-crafted tease; we’re seeing things out of context and in a way designed to generate lots of speculation. To ma that makes it fun: we don’t really know what we’re seeing, but we have a great time talking about it. Heck, even when we turn out to be right, we didn’t know it at the time.

I kinda look at it like buying a lottery ticket, in that the entertainment is carrying it around in your pocket thinking about winning. Now I carry around the season four trailer along with all my (probably wrong) ideas about what’s going to happen.

FWIW, I’d totally understand if you disagree, and I respect you making your own decisions about what you want to watch and not watch. (I will, of course, miss having you in on the discussions/speculations about what’s in the trailer – but I understand.)