Speech-To-Text Podcast Indexing

Also, BSWiki recommends ExpressScribe (free, but they hope you’ll buy the helpful hardware) application. You can slow down the ‘tape’ you’re listening to, which helps a whole lot.

Ok - I’ve dl’d 1-4. That should keep me busy forever!!

Here’s how I’m doing this - is this kinda what we want to do? I’ve left out the “um’s”. :smiley: And I’m fairly certain I spelled Audra’s last name wrong…

[intro music]
[Chuck] Welcome to Galactica Watercooler. This will be a weekly podcast discussing the storyline and happenings surrounding Battlestar Galactica. My name is Chuck Cage. We have Audra Heslip.
[Audra] Hello!
[Chuck] And Sean O’Hara.
[Sean] 'Sup homies!
[Chuck] And a couple things you should know about this. Number one - no spoilers. We are not going to discuss anything other than what has happened through the episodes through the current broadcast episode. As well as things that have been released directly on SciFi.com such as Ron Moore’s blog, the official podcast, the webisodes. But I believe Audra was saying that we should avoid the Scifi.com magazine. Is that the case?

You’ve got it! Avoid the vocal ticks (“um” etc.) like you’ve been doing (if unsure, put them in.) You can abbreviate the names after the first mention. (We can all figure out who “C, S, & A” are.)

But that’s spot-on. If RDM ever gets around to doing commentaries again, BSWiki could use you :wink:

It must be the theater major in me! I’ve read =tons= of scripts!

I’ll take 5-8 and see how long that takes me.

This may be a convenient excuse to catch up on the earlier casts, but I still have to figure out the excuse for sitting at the computer for uninterrupted listening time…

Pssttt…work. :smiley:

I have to tell you Splatt, I’m blown away that you’d put your time into this. It’s something that I’ve always wanted to do, but it’s so time consuming and difficult that I’d never ask anyone to do it. I’m honored. Thank you so much for your effort! I’m working on a place to store them where they’ll be easily available to everyone.

Well, don’t expect me to set any land-speed records. :smiley:

I don’t. Hell, I didn’t expect anyone to even try it. :slight_smile:

I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow and when I get (possibly while I’m on vacation), I hope to hear about a new job. If I get bad news, I’d like to take a stab at this. I’ll have the laptop while I’m away, but I’ll be at Walt Disney World, so I won’t really want to transcribe over the next week.

When I get back, I can see what episodes might be available for transcribing.

Thanks! :smiley:

Oh, I’m sure that there will be plenty left!!

Wow quite an undertaking though it would be cool, just think then you could use a text to speech converter to rebroadcast in Cylon voice!

I’d would help but funny thing is I’ve been using computers pretty much daily for the last 17 years and still can’t type worth a damn and huked oan fonicks wearked four mie, er umm I can’t spell worth a damn.

Actually, ExpressScribe is what I’ve been using and while you can’t make them sound like a cylon, it’s fun to listen to the gang at 25% speed!

My classes just started up again, but I will take 9 and 10 and see how quickly I can get through them.

It’s not a speedy process. Especially if you can’t devote the time to just sit down and do it. But I think in the end, it will benefit the entire GWC community!

Ok, I’ve got 1/2 of the first episode transcribed so far. I wish my fingers would type faster! I keep having to pause the recording so my fingers can catch up!

Oh yeah, nothing to do about that, unless you get insane typing skills. You can only slow down the original so much and still have it intelligible. (The software guys sell a foot pedal that makes that a whole lot easier. If you make this a project of yours, it might be worth investing in.)

Speaking of, BSWiki prefers a verification pass by a different pair of ears. This is a REALLY good idea, it catches a lot of mistakes/misinterpretations/etc. It’s also a good way for people to ease their way into the whole production, or for those who don’t have the time to transcribe to contribute.

Their Wiki format helps, because you can get that going on forever, but a structured approach helps with quality control.

I am also willing to start transcribing and/or give transcribed podcasts a combined listen-read for verification.

I can probably start working on this project next week. I will check back to see where I should start.

Glad to help.

Yay for more helping hands/fingers/ears!

Another lesson from BSWiki: start from the back. People are, in general, more interested in recent stuff.

That’s NOT to discourage the folks who picked the early stuff. It (a) needs to be done, and (b) gives anyone looking at this seriously a valuable counter-point.

But if you’re new and interested, pick up a recent one, like the webisode Bonus 'casts, to start.