Spectrum Programming in Java

Ok so I decided to learn Java Programming by Picking up a Spectrum book… don’t ask

I’ve had this Spectrum book since I was about 10 and its full of little programs that you can code etc… I never had a spectrum though. Anyhow I really wanted to try coding these in Java which I’m currently learning but what I’m after is some help with the spectrum code to understand what its doing.

So what my question? Does anyone have Spectrum Programming experience or can point me in the direction of some really good documentation. I’ve had a bit of a poke about the general internets watsit but not really getting anywhere.

10 Home
20 Sweet
30 Goto 10

is that LOGO? I haven’t see LOGO codes in ages…

i had little experience with JAVA and shamed to say have no clue what Spectrum programming is…

Ah no thats just to confuse you its from Futurama as a little programming joke :slight_smile:

The Simpsons programming joke is

C:
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN DOS RUN

:slight_smile:

What im looking at is more like

“100 REM LASER
110 GOSUB 1000:LET BL=30:GOSUB 2000
120 DATA 255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,0,20,20,20,20,20,20,0,3,6,3,9,3
130 BORDER 0:PAPER 0:INK 7:CLS
…”

I think i can figure most of it out but its things like the DATA command there i dont undestand what its doing. I guess there is a DATA array that I’m populating maybe for display purposes but I cant be sure. There are a few commands like that which im stuck on.

I can’t help with the specific request oh the hours of fun typing in code to the ZX Spectrum and ZX81 before that and while the BASIC variant used by Sinclair was well basic without any formal computer classes (computer lab at school arrived a year too late) picking it up from magazines was still hard work and lets not even get into compiling into machine code:)

Winning :slight_smile:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/ZXBasicManual/zxmanchap16.html

Found a helpful website with some programming documentation starting to make some more sense now