Somthing Moore said that made me roll my eyes

Not sure how many of you guys listen to Slice of Scifi, but on the last show they discussed a interview Moore gave, talking about Caperica. He started talking about how Battlestar Galactica turned off women because it was a war in space…

I love Moore and I have alot of respect for the guy, but really? It just seemed a bit like he was saying they needed to dumb the series down to make it appeal to women. So, let’s make it look like today? He wants to appeal to a new audience, but does that mean he needs to tal like he is shutting out the audience he already has?

I’m sure it will be a good show, but this just kind of struck me the wrong way. Hate to make my first post in awhile a critical one, but there you go

Nah, it’s brilliant. By not appealing directly to his existing audience, he may lose a fraction of them, but most will stick around for little tidbits of the BSG they loved that will show up occasionally, like in the form of inside references, etc.

But more importantly, he ADDITIONALLY picks up a new group of watchers that’s almost certainly larger (if he does it correctly) than the core group he’s at risk of ‘offending’ because the pap is more palatable.

Good business doesn’t automatically mean good television, though, so we’ll see.

But why would you stick around for echos of a show that they can just check out on dvd?

Of course I’m talking outta my arse here since I didn’t hear the interview but I don’t think he meant dumbing it down for a female audience. Sounds to me that he feels the female audience doesn’t dig ‘War in Space’. Instead he wanted to do a planet-side sci-fi series. Look at the success of LOST.

Can’t deny he has a prejudice that chicks don’t dig 'splosions in space. Maybe some don’t. I’m gonna watch the show, so I’m not the demogrphic he is after. I’m not sure what he is after, though.

My wife loved BSG, btw. She was thoroughly unimpressed by the Caprica pilot, but we’ll see.

BTW, when we were dating, she also successfully picked out the proper symbol to use as the 7th chevron when dialing the Stargate from Earth, part of how I knew she was a keeper. :wink:

I discussed BSG with, before I found GWC, was female. How tough Starbuck was and how tough Adama was were frequent topics.

Tough, not frilly.

I hope Caprica does not turn into Desperate Housecylons or Sex in the Cylon–although this last intrigues me–wasn’t that what BSG was?

Perhaps he meant to, aw heck, I dunno. I keep wanting to make puns instead of staying on topic.

Off to watch Everyone Loves Doral

Hmm. I need to listen to the interview to see what he says. I do think though (and don’t freak out here, people) that Sci-Fi can be a bit of a “boys club”. It’s hard to be a female sometimes in the this genre. I don’t say that to start a turf war or anything like that, or to imply that I do not feel a part of this community. So please don’t anyone misinterpret what I am saying. However, one cannot deny that there while there were strong female roles in BSG (Starbuck, Laura Roslin, etc) you also had Six, who could stop traffic merely by walking in the room. One could argue she represented a strong female role, or that she merely brought some T & A to the show. Again, please don’t misinterpret what I am saying here. I loved and will always love BSG. And I also really liked the interesting female roles in BSG. But Six was always somewhat of a puzzle to me.

Oh vey. I probably should not post after consuming a large margarita at dinner.

Argh, haven’t heard this yet. But I suspect Frakintalos’ interpretation is correct. He’s probably not talking about the girls who were already watching, but the girls who were turned off by ‘nerd TV.’

It always struck me as funny when The Soup included a clip of BSG in its intro to the segment, “What Your Boyfriend Is Watching.” But then again, I was raised on war films and westerns and World War II docs so I’m probably not the network’s idea of the typical female demographic. I loved BSG for its characters and relationships and stories. I trust those things will be just as strong in Caprica even without battlestars and Raider attacks and FTL jumps.

This classic sci-fi arc that we’re currently on has really made me appreciate how far female characters have come. We’re not screaming hysterically and burying our heads in the male lead’s chest anymore; we’re facing the enemy right alongside them. I’m sure RDM and his writers respect that.

Oddly, so did us guys. Hell, we were raised on the intriguing and changing dynamics of Star Wars (however inadvertent they were) and Star Trek.

Pshaw. Network execs are not nerds. Their loss (literally.)

^ Very true. But then again, there are more cable networks out there willing to take risks on shows that are outside the mainstream. I think they’re realizing that “nerds” have purchasing power, be they male or female, and that they’re willing to talk up the movies and shows they like on forums like this. Age of the Geek, baby, as Hardison on Leverage would say.:slight_smile:

I don’t think he realizes how many female fans of BSG there are. Yes it’s war in space but it is about relationships. And you have Tahmoh, Bamber, and Trucco.
Also Starbuck is a badass chick and we all love badass chicks.

First off, sci-fi gals … he wasn’t talking about you. He is talking about the “average american girl” not sci-fi loveing girls. He isn’t saying YOU are the girls he lost with BSG, he is saying that my prissy ass ex girlfriend that was in a normal Hot girl sorority ( not a band sorrority, good grades sorority )and shops at Abercrombie is turned of by the war elements. And he is generalising… so of course there is one example reading this who probably fits all this. He is saying that on average the girls wern’t getting done watching Friends then getting to gether for a combination Frak party / doing each others nails.

I would assume he bases his comments on the hundreds of conventions he has attended for the past 15 years, where if you take away the gals that are there just because their boyfriends drug them there… there isn’t a very high girl / guy ratio!

I mean think back to high school. There were probably 2 girls in your entire grade that admited to likeing star trek, and 2 more that liked it on the down low. Sure there are MANY great loyal sci-fi female fans… but the numbers dont’t even approach the guys.

I know this from working in a comic book / rpg store, attending cons, and standing in the sci - fi section of a book store. I imagine Ron Moore has a better take on the subject than any of us. Also… they do demographic studies ALL THE TIME. It’s how they decide how to market the shows. ( I recognise that these studies are often wrong, but I give mooore credit than that)

BUT i find that you ladies more than make up for you lack of numbers with extreme amounts of passion and devotion to the things you love. There might be 40 ladies out of 200 at a Q&A… but those gals know their shit!