....so I just finished watching all of Voyager.....

…after not getting through the first season when it first came out and I totally HATED this show, I have to admit I turned around on it and I actually enjoyed it…well except the last episode (I swear Star Trek people just do NOT know how to end a series…right???), and I just wanted to share my thoughts on it…and see what others thought too…

Janeway: a bit dry, but you could see she had a bit of a mother hen thing going on with her crew (especially Harry), wasn’t the best written character on the show (though I did enjoy her being “Irish Kate” in the Holo-Deck town Paris created)…and man she knew her ship in and out more then any of the other captains did in their shows

Chakotay: thrust into an unusual position due to being dumped in the Delta Quadrant, I think he ended up being the perfect XO for Janeway and complimented her well…I was quite disappointed to see him and the Captain not hook up at sometime…they seemed to tease that for 2 seasons and it died off…especially 70,000 light years from home…geesh guys…his heritage did make some interesting side episodes, but he too was just “kinda there” alot…

Paris: one of my favorite guys on the show…the master of the Holo-Deck… Capt Proton, that damn village I can’t remember the name of…part-time medic, and the Han Solo of sorts of the cast, I really enjoyed him and his growth as the helmsman…plus his relationship with B’elanna was one of the better things on the show for me…and I loved his 1900’s pop-culture nerd like obsession…I cheered when his wife made him a TV set :slight_smile:

B’elanna: Was intriguing to see a Klingon in a “smart” role like an Engineer (since most Klingons tended to be more brutish and not as technical)…I also liked her resentment of her own heritage (I can relate to that well with my own ‘family issues’ ), and how she came into herself through her eventual relationship with Tom

Tuvok: a typical Vulcan in his typical Vulcan role, was played well by the actor (but still deep down inside of me I wonder why on a planet that was always hot and the same temperature, why would there be black and white skinned Vulcans…pardon the pun…it just didn’t seem logical to me, and seemed more human arrogance in the people who wrote the show to assume their skin would have different tones and pigmentation just because humans did…I’m trying REALLY hard to word that right), had some nice interactions with Neelix and a few others though

Harry Kim: HOW THE HELL WAS HE NOT PROMOTED DURING THE DAMN SERIES?!!?!? Loved the bromance with him and Paris and the two outsiders bonding and finding their way into this big family through each other and their goofy holodeck adventures

Neelix: A very useful character between his cooking skill, and Delta Quadrant knowledge and his always-cheery and up-tempo personality, I found him to be essential to this crew and show even after his tour guide knowledge was passed on the way home…read alot of people called him the Jar Jar of Star Trek…I find that unfair, I found him deep and clever and I enjoyed the fact that almost NOTHING got to him and he always had a smile and a kinda word to keep the crew alright during what must be an unthinkable distance and journey back home…I was quite annoyed when they left him with the other Tallaxians on the asteroid (though I understood it)…I was fascinated to see what kinda life he could have made in the Alpha Quadrant for himself and the last two episodes seemed missing without him there…

Kes: maybe the most underused character in the series (But I’m assuming the way she was so quickly…and poorly …written out, she wanted to work elsewhere)…her potential was great as was her relationship with Neelix and short life span…I also like how she was the first to accept the Doctor and try to help him grow beyond his program and saw the ability in him to do so…there was so much more they could do with her…and her one-shot return was a pretty putrid episode too…they dropped the ball on her big time…

Seven of Nine: wasn’t a big fan of hers at first…but the idea of breaking a Borg drone from the collective was a good idea and did open up a lot of storytelling and tech upgrades to Voyager too (like the Astrometrics room), and Janeway helping her regain (and the Borg kids later on) their own individuality was a nice touch and storyline…she also did fill Kes’ role with the Doctor and even let the Doctor explore his own self-discovery through getting Annika to be more human…and dammit again I was hoping she and the good Doctor would have hooked up by the end too… one of the people I really wish we could have seen what happened to when she did get back to Earth…booo writing staff!!!

The Doctor: My favorite character on the show…from an over-the-top ego driven medical genius…to top-tier opera singer, to his ECH upgrade (oh tell me you didn’t laugh your ass off when he popped the 4 pips on his uniform when he enabled his ECH creation??)…his Beaver Cleaver holo-family, not only did they max out the potential on this character (and idea) but they hit the damn thing out of the ballpark every time with him…even when he was sent back to the Alpha Quadrant and owned the Mark II …or saved his “father’s” life…any episode featuring the Doctor was a massive win for me and by far maybe one of my all time favorite Trek characters ever!

All in all like I said…I wish we could have seen a prologue and the life they lead after getting home (since the “future life” they showed in End Game was clearly wiped out and re-done), but it is Trek tradition to screw up show endings sigh…I don’t know if I’d watch it again any time soon…but I did get over my hostile feelings to the show from its initial airing and it was a helluva ride through an unexplored part of the Trek universe till then…though I wish they had a few more Delta Quadrant nemesis’s (like the Kaizon were)…and since I didn’t see a thread for it when I tried to search…I was curious to how everyone else thought of and enjoyed the show too…

Agree with a lot of that. Characters were the strong part of the show. Overall some of the writing week to week just felt tired and not that thought out. A good addition to the franchise either way.

Totally…I can see why though…7 years of “we’re lost, lets try this trick…ah crap it didn’t work, ahead warp 7” would have gotten old fast…instead making it how this ship and crew morphed into a family was a much better way to go with it…it’s been 36 hours since I finished and I admit…I kinda miss their stories a bit…I also laughed at lot more at the interactions here then I did in any other series, which goes back to being into the characters…

Favourite line of the Doctor’s…

“Computer…delete the diva!”

You might enjoy looking at this Voyager discussion thread. :slight_smile:

Wow…I tried a search and had no luck…thank you :slight_smile:

So why do you say that Star Trek can’t do last episodes? “All Good Things…” is one of the finest episodes. The DS9 finale was at least decent. 2/4 (not counting original) isn’t bad.

Yeah I don’t count the original in it because the plug was pulled on it…kinda like the original BSG too was

TNG was the one finale I felt a sense of closure with… it did a great job of going full-circle and left a complete feeling

the DS9 Finale…I felt like I did at the end of the 3rd Matrix Movie (with the Sisko/Neo comparison being the obvious reason)…I guess I’d have felt better with it if Sisko had come back at the very end…but it was open-ended enough to leave the door open to go back to the station

…the last two series of Voyager and then Enterprise…they just felt so empty, hollow and half-assed done (Enterprise being a FAR worse ending…at least let us hear Archer’s damn speech)…and the massive let-down of seeing “life after coming back to the Alpha Quadrant”…I wanted to see little things…what happens to the crew, do they stay on Voyager? Where do they go? Are the Maquis welcomed back with open arms after 7 years of field service? What happens to 7? And the Doctor as well? They kinda owed you that at least after the 7 year journey back to show you more then Voyager coasting to rejoin the fleet of ships

Maybe it’s more a case of the last two left such a bad taste in my mouth it wiped out the good job they did on the other 2…also with Voyager, I didn’t like who got paired up with who romance wise…I wanted the Doctor to hook up with 7 since it was so PAINFULLY obvious he was totally head over circuits for her and he deserved that :slight_smile:

Well, it sounds like we are in agreement.
There was a book series of what happens after Voyager returns home. I have not read it but it sounds interesting:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Homecoming

This is why I have always longed for a Star Trek Anthology series, hosted by Q. It would allow the show to jump up and down the timeline and answer fans questions about ‘how did this start?’, ‘whatever happened to so-and-so?’, do origin stories, back-stories and so forth. It would allow writers the ultimate freedom for creating stories, tying up loose ends, and doing follow-ups on their favorite characters. And who knows may even give birth to a spin-off series.

The show could be done like Sanctuary with virtual sets to keep the costs down, and allow them the freedom to constantly change things depending upon which time period the story is set in. Or which race the story is focused on…

This would be a fascinating idea…and maybe even go more into the lesser characters as they got promoted (Sulu, Harry)…and even using stock footage to fill in parts of the story would be helpful too… Star Trek A to Z of sorts…would be an interesting way to put a bow and tie up everything left in the Roddenberry Star Trek Universe (depending on how long and how much Trek is gonna be made in the JJ-verse too)

All of the continuing series stuff for the 24th Century Trek series have blurred together at this point after a massive Borg invasion. There is a continuing Voyager series from that point, but Janeway is dead and Tuvok moved over to the Titan with Will and Deanna.

Yes and I am sure that a lot of these actors would love to revisit their characters, and many of them like Andrew Robinson have really great ideas as to what their characters would have done after their series ended. And hiring the supporting cast members has got to be cheaper than rehiring the leads, and from what I have seen the supporting cast on many of the shows are quite talented and deserve a further look. And I think an anthology series would never get stale, because it would constantly be changing and exploring new ideas. It could also tap into another gold mine, the novels! Why have none of the shows ever utilized the wonderful books out there? They are already paramount property, and most of the races and so forth are already included in the Star Trek wiki/universe; for God’s Sake use them.

I love the idea…I really do…but the more I think about it I wonder how difficult the logistics of it would be…but damn it’s still an awesome idea…esp with 3 of the 5 shows in the same era of TNG…