Singer wants to do a big screen Galactica!?!

GINO. I like it.

I think Glen A Larson is just trying to be relevant again. And he wants his copyright back.

That’s what the TOSers (heh) were calling RDM’s BSG when it started out. The character of Gina was a smirking nod to that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/aug/14/battlestar-galactica-film-bryan-singershow

another link.

You guys sound like the folks you laugh at that are fans of the original BSG and hate RDM BSG! I for one was a nay sayer about RDM’s BSG. I was a fan of the TOS BSG and LOVED it’s mythology! I was pissed about chick boomer, and chick Starbuck and no imperious leader, and the humans building the cylons… you know, I was a closed minded jackass who judged something before watching it! I hope we don’t do the same here :slight_smile: !

I am going to give it a chance. I gave a “crappy little show on sci-fi” a chance back in 2003 and now it’s tied with TREK as my favorite show ever!

Fair point, but I think no matter what, it’s way to soon to do another one.

Singer’s shopped this for a while now, and the concept wasn’t bad. It did hew closer to the original BSG:

//youtu.be/HiC-30keJSs

I would think that universal wouldn’t let him make it. You know, studio execs hate cross characters. Remember when the Justice league cartoon had to stop useing batman ( one of their main characters) becuase WBros felt that wiht chris nolan’s first batman comeing out… it woould confuse audiances! (WTF)

Ususaly hollywood does this.

I am surprised that they are jumping onboard. I , for one, don’t want to see it made now either. Mostly becuase I think it’s nerf future RDM BSG stuff. ( as in less books, TV movies, or the like… becuase it would become a “hot hollywood prperty”.

I like my little show that is kinda our private little club! I don’t want to see hot topic selling Hello Kitty BSG keychains!

( But I will still go see the movie on opening day if he makes it)

Neither do I.

But I would totally buy one.

I don’t think its a bad idea because its not a continuation of RDM’s BSG. I think its a bad idea because I doubt it will be successful. Despite how good the new BSG was, we all have to admit that it was never much of a ratings success. Yes, the miniseries and first seasons were a hit by SciFi standards, but those weren’t very high standards to go by. A lot of people who would have loved the show just stayed away. I just doubt that the general BSG fan base (those that liked both the original an new show) is big enough to support a mainstream movie. Shoot, even Star Trek movies that only appeal to the Trekkies base tend not to be very successful. Given that by definition a new BSG movie can’t have any significant continuity to either the original (all the actors are too old or dead) or the RDM version (the story is done), it will have significantly better than either versions to draw in a new group of fans. As I said before BSG at its heart is about an epic journey that either requires a TV series or at least a series of movies. I would be surprised if there is enough interest in the first movie to elicit enough interest to spur on 2 more movies to show the voyage and eventual discovery of Earth.

My one caveat is that in reading some of the comments following the articles announcing the new Singer production I’ve seen that there is one group of fans actually looking forward to a new non-RDM version of BSG. These are the fans who are still pissed that Head Six and Baltar were shown to be actual angels of some kind. These folks are hoping to get a BSG devoid of the supernatural elements that were integral to both the original and RDM versions. To that I say good luck with that…

It won’t be able to live up to RDM Battlestar. It is just way to soon. Give it at least a decade.

RDM is contracted to United Artists to do a science fiction trilogy. No details but likely further along in development than Universal’s Battlestar movie. So when he said he wasn’t approached by Universal, his contractual obligation to UA may be the reason why. From the clutches of Bonnie Hammer to Paula Wagner. :slight_smile:

Hollywood Reporter, maybe mistakenly, is claiming more details about what really happened last February; Universal finally bought the movie rights for Battlestar Galactica from Glen Larson. If this is true, he sold any remaining creative control and rights of refusal he’s had for the last 32 years. You would expect this to happen before any studio embarked what may prove to be a +$100 million movie. Mr. Larson is 72.

Coincidentally, Universal and United Artists both have a glaring shortcoming in their inventories. They just do not have any comic book, action based, science fiction, fantasy type property with high brand name recognition to call their own. The other studios do. This is a huge competitive disadvantage. But Universal does have Battlestar and United Artists now has Ron Moore. The bottom line considerations from BSG’s competitive DVD sales is that a Battlestar movie will probably be profitable, enough to bank the studio’s fiscal fortunes on a blockbuster. So like Deepthroat said, follow the money.

Lastly, the feature film demographic is different than a television audience. It’s a bigger fish. A larger superset of hearts and minds to win over. Universal doesn’t, and really shouldn’t care, if they piss off Battlestar’s existing fan bases, young and old. It’s just business.

Me, I want to withhold judgment until I see script and casting choices. Maybe a new CG shot of the Galactica that’s more expensive than anything we’ve ever seen before.

I want to ask why Singer would do it, but Singer’s one of the better creative folks in Hollywood, and I always love it when sci-fi is given the money to look as good as it does in my head, so I’d certainly give it a shot.

I used to get upset at these types of things, and sometimes I still do, but the truth is I am neither surprised nor particular put off by this. I love BSG redux and I don’t think a movie is necessary, but if it is done well then I have another SciFi movie to enjoy. More good SciFi is always number one on my wish list. More than anything I am upset at the laziness. Why can’t these hollywood types gather up some courage and produce some original IP? Anyway, I say we put this out of mind and wait till they got something more concrete to show us, like official casting.

I just Really Really Really don’t want anything to sully the RDM BSG.

no no no no no no no no, I think if anyones gonna start up BSG again it needs to be RDM. I can’t ever really see another cast. Everyone was just perfect and forgive me if im being ignorant but I just don’t see it. Not for another,like everyone is saying 10 years.

That is exactly what I said in the lead up to the RDM redux.

ya, I don’t know. It’s possible but it’s just to soon

/me prepares to be flogged

I know full well I’m putting myself in the minority by saying this, but I’m almost…excited? Maybe that’s a bit much. Cautiously eager is probably closer to what I’m feeling. I don’t consider this to be a disgrace to the Almighty RDM. Not because I wasn’t a huge fan of what he did – if I wasn’t, I probably wouldn’t be here – but because I’m not one who thinks that there’s such a thing as a definitive, end-all be-all of a story (generally).

I don’t see why we can’t have two related, yet distinct, interpretations of the same story. After all, even RDM’s version was a reinterpretation. If you didn’t mind the fact that the 1970s version coexisted with the more recent one, it should be no big deal that a continuation of it will do the same.

Seriously, though, people. I know many of you are at least casual fans of the original. Aren’t you at all curious to see what Galactica 1980 could have been, if the entire show wasn’t a giant shark jump? Because that’s exactly what it sounds like we might be getting here. Singer’s 2001 pitch was a story that would pick up 20+ years after the conclusion of the original, which is essentially what 1980 was. Instead of flying motorcycles and radio personalities, though, we would have gotten gritty realism and badass Cylons. We can all testify how well the latter pair worked out on RDM’s BSG. Imagine that same tone now being applied to the universe of the original series. C’mon, you can’t tell me that that doesn’t sound at least a little bit intriguing.

I think you and I (and everyone else here) could wrap our heads around a parallel BSG, but I don’t see how they’re going to sell it. It’s just too confusing, especially since we haven’t seen the last of the DVD releases.

thats also a supporting factor

I’ll be looking for Sharon and Six…sigh

It’s hard enough to be a bsg fan when it’s just a geek thing if you talk about it to people. If there’s a big movie and it’s frakking horrible it’s gonna be like “Lol nerd I would never watch that utter crap that everyone hates” And I’ll be like “I mean the TV series” and they’ll be like “It was a movie” and I’ll facepalm and just ruin my entire day