SGU Okay I guess they're invincible?

So they flew into a star… It just would seem silly if some alien ship down the road started to shoot at them. and the ship would be damaged at all. i mean they flew into a frick’in star…

Actually, it’s been pretty well established in SG-1 and SGA that the shield technologies can (at least temporarily) survive the heat of a star’s corona (or a direct lightning strike, which can be almost as hot). Even the Goa’uld/Tokra technology could manage it, and the Ancients were decidedly more advanced. Besides, they skimmed over the surface of the star, not through it, and were only in direct contact for a few seconds. Obviously, this energy-siphoning effect was part of the ship’s design; how else could it refuel over the course of millions of years, hundreds of galaxies away from home?

Word! The only guarantee of of a substantial energy source in another Galaxy is the stars. It almost looked as if it actually scooped up some star matter and perhaps it is able to harness it safely and maintain the reaction. As you said that is what the ship is designed for. I am sure we will find in the future that the Destiny is an excellent place to survive but I suspect it may come up lacking in other areas.

The televison reception, for example, is terrible.

There are still internal explosions, sabotage, black holes, and actual ship or planet crashes. And, we don’t know how long the batteries can keep a charge after all this time. The shields have to go down sometime.

But, what I would have done is try to dial Earth while they recharged or right after. But, I guess that’s more power than the ship can store?

Edit: Novas, super novas, and FTL malfunctions are also possible.

I guess… but still if they have the ability to deflect that sort of energy… if some of those pyramid ships things; shoots a laser at them and the ship shakes violently my eye will role more than a little.

maybe I need to brush up on My Stargate Tech the Pyramid ships didn’t seem to be all that powerful. i mean they couldn’t produce the same level of energy as a star?

but i guess thats just getting into minutia

There isn’t any privacy in the shower either.

…wait, what am I saying, that’s a good thing! Where is Leut. Daaaaayuumm when you need her? :cool:

True, but it’s obvious that the ship’s AI is advanced enough to avoid most problems, and it must have some ability to repair itself. After all, it’s been flying for millions of years without too much damage. How likely is it that it’ll run into something catastrophic after all this time?

Also, we have to consider that this project was important to the Ancients, so much so that all the stargates have a ninth chevron, presumably for the sole purpose of reaching this ship. So it’s probably not out the realm of possibility that ascended Ancients might help things along from time to time (and maybe they already have). Obviously, they can’t pull that particular deus ex machina too many times, but I wouldn’t doubt that it’ll happen eventually.

And, we don’t know how long the batteries can keep a charge after all this time. The shields have to go down sometime.

As far as we know, the shields are only on when they’re needed. For instance, the ship turned them off until it reached the star, so that they could remain at full power.

But, what I would have done is try to dial Earth while they recharged or right after. But, I guess that’s more power than the ship can store?

Even just reaching another galaxy required a ZPM, something which taps into power that’s beyond anything that human science can even prove exists yet. It took the explosion of a planet to reach this ship in the first place, so I doubt a few scoops of stellar matter will be enough to dial home.

Edit: Novas, super novas, and FTL malfunctions are also possible.

I still think that Destiny’s AI can predict and avoid such issues. If the Cosmos arc has taught us anything, it’s that space is mostly empty. The odds of just stumbling across something like that are literally astronomical.

The pyramid ships are back in our galaxy. Destiny is far beyond their reach. In any case, we don’t know what kind of enemies they’ll run up against where they are. Besides, they don’t even know how to steer the ship yet, so I doubt we’ll be seeing any alien attacks quite yet.

but i guess thats just getting into minutia

Yes, because we NEVER do that. :rolleyes:

Yes, it’s old. If it had the ability to repair itself, why are there so many hull breaches and air leaks? And, because it’s so old, that increases, not decreases, the likelihood of something catastrophic happening. It haven’t had maintenance done in how long? It’s advanced, but not infallible.

For all we know, they were bigger before the humans got there. OTOH, maybe there was no need to repair them before there were any people onboard. It seems like Destiny is prioritizing repairs, from what we’ve seen so far. Air was an immediate need, followed by energy, and the upcoming episode apparently involves water. With a ship of that size, a few hull breaches in non-essential area is probably low on the list.

And, because it’s so old, that increases, not decreases, the likelihood of something catastrophic happening.

My point was that it had chugged along for literally millions of years. What are the chances that it’s suddenly going to run into a planet in the next year or two?

It haven’t had maintenance done in how long? It’s advanced, but not infallible.

We still don’t know enough to be sure that no maintenance has been done. For instance, who was on that shuttle? And there are always the Ancients to consider…

Ok, I grant you the rest, but given the Ancients prior history of non-interference, except for Daniel, Oma, or when their existence was on the line (Ori), I don’t see them sticking there necks out on this one.

…or whenever they felt like it. :slight_smile:

I don’t see them sticking there necks out on this one.

Do they even have necks? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know. I’ve gotta go with Rush here. Destiny is special. It seems like it’s something that the Ancients are going to keep an eye on. For instance, consider the whirlwind that helped Lt. Scott in the desert; it was just enough help, without obviously being (semi-)divine intervention. I think that, for the most part, they tend to act like God on Futurama:

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

They may not intervene on day-to-day issues, but I doubt they’ll let anything major happen to the ship — or its new crew.

Goauld ships suck.
Especially as the seasons went on.

I’ve given it four episodes so far and I am trying to like it. There are simply no characters on this show that I care about. The girl - hope she gets killed off quickly, the scientist – hope he gets his anti psychotic meds soon, the commander guy – boring, the young officer – yawn…and so on.

I understand that they are trying to make something more gritty and BSG-like, but what worked in the previous two Stargates was the humor and character interaction. Take that away, and you are left with a Stargate/Enterprise: beyond the delta quadrant.

I had such high hopes! But I’m done. I’m going to get myself Farscape on DVD and watch that instead.

November 17th from Amazon. Kinda expensive though.

If I am not reading this incorrectly, it’s about $100+ for all seasons except the Peacekeeper Wars. That’s not that much…way less than it was a while back.

Regards the starscooping: it was supposed to recharge the ship. Having done so, isn’t there enough energy to at least gate home through a series of gates?