SGA Marathon

Well I finally bought the Blu-ray boxset and started my series marathon yesterday.
Initial thoughts are impressed as always with good solid use of HD video cameras the franchise had perfected and a very nice surround soundtrack.
While I simply adore commentary tracks I may skip them on this first watch, 100 eps to get through even with the rest of the year off is going to be time consuming:D

For SG1, I’ve been watching the series at my leisure and have been watching the commentary tracks along with a podcast I’m listening to. It lets me hear the commentaries but not burn out on them.

I’m into the 2nd season on Atlantis and I’d forgotten how good the early episodes were. One of my favorites from the series is the first one after the pilot, where they’re stuck halfway through the gate. Also, the first “Die Hard” episode with Sheppard and the Genni is awesome (though I remember the 2nd one being much better).

I’m planning on getting a BluRay player soon, and I think Atlantis will be the first (possibly only) thing I double dip on.

I’ll hold my hands up, too many commentary tracks to listen to first time around but what a delightful bonanza for early next year. Finished season 1 and just started the second season and the Siege trilogy was brilliant action scifi.
Double dipping is always questionable depending upon changes to the product, I went with SGA simply for picture and audio quality while Farscape (I just ordered) was for the additional extras and a relatively cheap price but I do have an idea how my old DVD set can make somebody else happy:)

I watched all of SGA last summer and I just loved it. I wish they had kept it on a few more seasons, there certainly was enough material there in my opinion.

Yes still plenty of life in the series but 5 years seems always to be a tipping point (for network shows especially) when costs increase in partnership with the traditional 100ep syndication target. When you look at Vegas though there was the potential to try something different with the existing show without launching a brand new series, a more expensive series at that.

Yeah, I really think they needed one more season to wrap up the series, as opposed to promising a movie that now is never going to happen. I know it would have been a lot more work for them (that they wanted to avoid), but I think having SGA Season 6 running alongside SGU Season 1 would have helped. It would have avoided a lot of the fan alienation that happened with SGU being announced the day after SGA’s cancellation and would have gotten SGU through a lot of its growing pains.

Plus, SGA is my favorite Stargate show, so more = good.

Season 1 of SGA is easily the best first season of the franchise, they knew what they were doing and had a jumping off point which SG1 didn’t benefit from and the stories were balanced between action/character development something SGU failed to do in it’s first season.

Yeah SGA is my favorite too. They hit the ground running and never stopped. I got worried when they introduced Ronin but he turned out awesome too. Same with the replicators, though they turned out less awesome.

Yeah it would have been interesting if SGA and SGU aired together for a while. I guess the franchise is dead, other than in books. Damn shame.

Unfortunately for the time being, it looks like it. Such a shame, the few details they released about the 3rd SG1 movie sounded so awesome.

Well I’ve finished my SGA marathon, only really waivered on two episodes (one of which I skipped after about 5 minutes, it was a clip show) and right now it’s a toss up between Whispers and Vegas for best episode of the series and then only because they stand out.
The Blu-ray boxset is magnificent, excellent video and audio but when the video dip in quality it was easy to spot but grain/noise seemed directly related to specific style of shot composition/style. I also really liked the simple and fast but elegant menu system.

If the new Bond does well then MGM will have a usable cash reserve but I honestly think SGU is dead and maybe even SG1, SGA may still have some legs but even it’s final season was not doing serious numbers on Syfy.