SG:U season 1.2

Lets not for get Cancouvica.:smiley:

It took me some time to get around to season 1.2, but now I’m just about caught up. And now I’m way into it. What’s the general consensus – much better in the second half?

I’m a Stargate noob. Now I feel like I’m in a baby pool looking over at the shallow end of the Stargate verse. And I really wanna take the plunge.

Still early imo, but I think it’s picking up. The trouble I see with the series is I can’t see how they’ll continue to make the series interesting in future seasons without pulling a Seven of Nine (Voyager) or alien enemies becoming friends against a common foe (BSG [and Voyager too I suppose]) trick. I don’t mind lack of originality as long as it’s well executed.

That or the series only have two or possibly three good seasons before it wraps.

I’ve been watching it ongoing, and I like it a lot. Good sci-fi.
I mean, if you consider BSG to be like Double Platinum, I’d have to say this ain’t that. But it is Gold.

I’m a Stargate Noob too. I’ve only seen Kurt Russel Stargate and about 2 episodes of SG-1.
But I still have no problem following SG-Universe.

Things I like:

1. Like that they are “out there” --waaay out there in space. And there’s feeling like anything could happen.

2. I like the tension/conflict between the Civilians and the Military.

3. I like the two main characters Rush and Young and the way they play off each other.

4. I like that the story is centered around a ship and people on a ship on a journey. (Ship is an important thing to me, that’s why I favor Star Treks’ that are ship based versus DS9).

5. I like that the ship is both a kind of character AND it’s one of the show’s central mysteries.

6. I like that —despite the far out sci fi – it’s characters are set in out time. That means Elly can say things like “Wrath of Khan? Geez, didn’t any of you see Wrath of Khan?!”

I second all this. Well said.

I loved the Rush-Young detente. Like, hey, I tried to get you, you tried to kill me, let’s call it even.

“I enjoy chess.”

What should be interesting is to see what they have shown have significance. What i’m getting at is the scene where they bumped up the field strength to explore. You know that item they found in the box is going to play a major roll in an episode to come. Plus they are running out of ammo. Have to get some better weapons for themselves.

Still think they will come upon a repair ship or some who have the ship repair itself. As it is they haven’t found the ancients med lab yet.

And please no more LDP.

Does anyone actually like him in that character? Or, even appreciate him?

I don’t. It’s just he’s like the number one disliked character/person in this series.

I’m now all caught up, and I miss everybody (except LDP; what a tool).

I bet we eventually learn that Greer was in the brig for caring too much.

I thought he punched LDP?

I do; always more fun when Big Lou rides in. So much of the rest of the cast is whiny or manipulative or annoying, and I hate those things way more than someone whose only a dick.
Sure is indicative however of how I feel about the show, when the guy I would normally hope gets thrown out of an airlock is one of the few I actually enjoy watching. If he had been on SG1 I would have spent the entire episode hoping Jack punched him in the mouth, but I actually liked Jack.

Lou DP’s a good bad character. Total dick. But well-conceived, well-written, well-acted dick.

No new ep this week really bummed me out. I guess it has its hooks in me.

I enjoyed last week’s (Friday’s episode). It’s always a love story :wink: (Well that one was for sure).

Wait, WAS there a new ep this week? The DVR didn’t tape (sic) one, there wasn’t one on on-demand, but io9 has a review of a new episode; I didn’t want to get spoiled, so I skipped reading the details. What gives?

I definitely think the show is picking up in the second half. All of the shows I was watching before the break seemed like they were losing their way a bit (FlashForward, V, SG:U, etc) and pretty much all of them have picked up now. SG:U Still doesn’t seem to know what to do with it’s female characters though which is a bit frustrating.

Well the show is called StarGate: Universe and not StarGate: Destiny. My crackpot theory is that around the s3/s4 finale the ship will be destroyed or lost.

They both have the same kind of long-suffering dad feeling to them that I can totally connect with.

“Yes you tried to kill me now eat your goop and fix the computer before you go to school”

All in all I’m liking it. And that relentless piano bit from the beginning has been playing in my mind ALL day.

What the Frak is up with ep. 115? I have ATT Uverse – Sci Fi apparently didn’t run #115 last week. It never showed up on On Demand. Then they snuck it in before this week’s episode (and my DVR setting missed it). Now 116 is on On Demand, but 115 still isn’t there. What the frak, is this a double-secret episode? Not sure if I should focus my rage on SyFy or ATT.

Regardless, getting everyone back to the ship THAT quickly was weak.

I’ve just watched the conclusion to the season. All I have to say is that the writers are utter sadists to end as they did!!!

I’m doing my first watch of SG-Atlantis. SG-U was really my first SG series, since I’ve only seen a couple of SG-1 episodes. Now that I’m watching Atlantis, I really don’t know what to think of SG-U anymore. It’s so different from the other two and I’m not sure in a good way. The only common denominator is the Stargate. Anyone have any thoughts? I’m not planning on abandoning SG-U, but Atlantis is much more satisfying to me.

Watch SG-1, is all I’ll say.

Yeah, watch them in order. SG-1, Atlantis, then SGU. I can’t imagine coming into SGU cold and finding it satisfying. There’s some references and in-jokes that are prolly passing you by.