September 11th, remembering.

It is funny, maybe not so much, but it actually came as a shock that it is September 11th. I am embarrassed by that, which is why I feel obligated to share something I wrote five years ago recalling that day.

It isn’t our way in GWC to be political, so I offer this as not a political thread, but one to simply remember, and never forget. This is something I wrote as a memo to myself, something I haven’t shared with others. I present it to you, my homies, now.

I arrived at work at 8:35, slightly late as I had been out late the night before with friends. The morning was usual, we all sat at our desks, sipping coffee, browsing the internet and getting organized for the day.

My co-worker Mike got a call from his wife around 8:50am and immediately told us “A plane has hit the World Trade Center.” We thought it must be a small plane like a biplane, and went on the internet to get details. The internet suddenly didn’t work. You couldn’t get on any news sites.

Being the ex-smoker I announced, “You guys, if we go to the roof we can see first-hand the towers and what all this fuss is about.”

So we went upstairs and walked out on the roof. One of the things that will always stick with me about that day is how blue the sky was. There were no clouds in the sky in NYC on 9/11. There was no haze. It was a perfect day. Which is what made the fact that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center so bizarre…if the visibility was completely clear, how could this have happened?

We stared at the Tower. To me it didn’t look real. It was more of a movie special effect, my mind wouldn’t accept the massive hole in the building that I had grown so accustomed to. There was no smoke, no fire yet. Just a large hole, like the skin of the building was burlap and someone had slashed at it with a knife.

We stared in wonder at it and started making jokes. To be honest, at this point it was a party atmosphere. The regular work day had been interrupted. We made fun of a pilot who was so bad at his job he hit the tower. We pointed at the Tower and we laughed.

Our boss came up to look at around 9am, talked a little and announced, “Ok guys, time to get back to work.” We nodded and replied, “We will be down in a minute.” and continued to look. Shortly after he left a huge fireball erupted from what we thought was the North Tower. We assumed that this was some after-effect from the crash that produced the massive hole we were looking at. From our vantage point the South Tower was fine and all the damage was confined to the North Tower. My friend Richie looked at us and said, “Um, you guys…I don’t think that was fuel blowing up, I think that was another plane.” We looked at him like he was out of his mind.

“Richie, what the hell are the chances of TWO planes hitting the Tower?” He stood firm. “All I am saying is that I think I saw a plane right before that explosion.” We made fun of him, telling him he was crazy.

It was then that our boss came running up and changed my life forever. It was then that he told us that they had found a radio and just heard that in fact Richie was right, and that a second airplane had struck the Tower.

In an instant we were terribly quiet. Gone was the laughter. No one had to say it, we all knew what the implications of two planes striking the tower were. This was no accident. This was an act of war.

With the second explosion came the first visible fire and smoke. It now poured out of the gapping hole, black and thick. Everytime your mind came up with a question, the answer became obvious. “Why don’t they fly helicopters over there to help evacuate them?” “Look at the damn roof! You can’t see the sky through there. There is no way a helicopter could land.” We stood there frustrated at our inability to do anything. We stood there transfixed not able to take our eyes off the Tower.

It was then I noticed the other Tower, the South Tower was also on fire. I pointed it out to my friends and we came up with theories that fuel had splattered everywhere and simply caught on fire on the shell of the tower. We still didn’t know that both towers had been hit individually. I didn’t need someone to tell me tho, none of us did. The fire that I noticed on the South Tower didn’t go out, it spread horizontally frighteningly fast. Soon it was a band of fire stretching all the way across the tower. He had theories that perhaps bombs had been planted as well.

I suddenly became very thirsty for news. I needed to know what was going on. I left my friends and went back to my desk and started searching websites for any information. The internet was even slower now. I banged my hands in frustration on my desk as a new email popped into my inbox. It was from my friend Vania who lives in Moscow. He wrote, “…I am watching news. What is happening?” I stared at it, not sure what to say. I replied, stating simply, “All hell is breaking loose.” I finally found a website that told me some of the details I lacked. Two planes hit two towers, one for each. A plane had struck the pentagon. There may be 7 or 9 other planes unaccounted for.

I ran back to the roof to share the news. I heard a rumble as I stepped out the door and was greeted by my friends standing in a state of shock and a large cloud were the South Tower used to be.

“WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?” I demanded.

My friend, Jason who I had always looked up to for his strength and will couldn’t answer me. He stared disbelieving. His mouth tried to work, but no sound came out. He raised an arm to point at it and finally was able to say,

“It fell down”

I spun around and looked. On that perfect day, with its perfect sky as a backdrop there stood the Tower that had brought us up to the roof, its whole still exposed with fire and black smoke billowing out. Now, next to it was simply a massive cloud.

“Which part of the tower fell off?”

“No…no…the whole Tower fell.”

More people from the building started showing up holding cell phones and beepers and various pieces of information.

“The Sears Tower has been hit!”
“Washington D.C. is on fire!”
“The Golden Gate Bridge has been destroyed!”

We all slowly became hysterical. My mind could not wrap itself around this news, nor could it accept what stood in front of me. I remember clearly my mind trying to determine what to call the singular tower in front of me…was it still the World Trade Center? Is it simply half the World Trade Center? The tower didn’t look right without its sibling next to it. It looked cold and alone. I didn’t want it to go away tho, and willed it to stand. Bit of building were falling off it…at least, that is what I made myself believe. Everytime I saw something fall from the building I prayed that was steel and not someone leaping, having chosen to fall instead of burn.

The moment then occurred that we had been dreading, but in our hearts knew was coming. The top buckled forward, a wave of grey debris flying northerly. For a moment it looked as if the top would fall free of the building, but that was a story my mind concocted in the nano-second between the top breaking, and the building crumbling.

None of us could speak. We held hands. We embraced each other. We cried out in anger and shed tears. There was no reason to stay on the roof anymore, there was nothing left to look at.

As we walked back to our desks my mind was running through my mental catalog of addresses trying to answer the question “Who did I know in there?” I wouldn’t allow myself to ask the question, “Who might of been there today at a business meeting, or in a subway underneath, or on a street nearby…”

I sent an email to all of my friends and family telling them I was safe, and to please respond back telling me they were safe too. I tried calling my mother and got no response. I called my sister who lives and works blocks away from the Trade Center and got no response. I tried to remain calm, but had great trouble doing so.

continued…

We met as a company and decided to close for the day. We made sure everyone had a way home, and we left.

At the street level everything was different. It was not the same street I had left three hours before as I went to work. It was quiet. Everyone and everything was moving north, away from where the Trade Centers used to be. I bid adieu to my coworkers who were going to go and see if they could go help somehow, somewhere. I felt guilty for not going with them, but I needed to find my mother and make sure my immediate family was ok.

Cell phones were useless. Land lines were strangled. You could make intermittent calls, maybe.

As I walked I noticed the small things that were now different. No one needed to ask if the subways were running, everyone knew that they would be shut down. People walked solemnly along, quietly. Everyone was hungry for news. Parked cars stood with their doors open blaring radios to a crowd of strangers who had congregated around them. Were bridges open? Could people who lived in Brooklyn walk home? No one knew. Every store that had a TV had rolled it up to the front window, or physically out the door so people could hear what was going on. One man stood with a hose staring expectantly to the south which confused me at first. 10 minutes and 10 blocks later as I continued my procession north, I found out why.

The streets of New York will filled completely with people walking north. Madison Avenue, 5th Avenue all clogged with people walking home. Occasionally a bus would roll by crammed with people. My strategy was simple: find my mother, make sure she was safe, avoid all landmarks as they might be potential targets. I amazed myself at the mind’s ability to so quickly adapt. It was then that I saw the reason for the hose.

A man in a gray suit stood leaning against a gray car. That was how my brain interpreted what it saw at first. Immediately my mind shook off that assessment, as it didn’t make any sense. He was still 50 feet away, but something was wrong. His hair was gray. His skin was gray.

…my mind finally got it. I knew where this man had been. I knew what he saw. I knew why that kind stranger was waiting with a hose.

Occasionally I would look over my shoulder as I headed to the Lincoln Building across the street from Grand Central Station to see the lone plume of smoke against that blue sky. I walked by the Empire State Building startled to see the entire street in front of it blocked off by police barricades and a swarm of policemen with rifles guarding the door.

I found my Mother in her office. She shrieked with joy when she saw me. Had she heard from my sister? Yes, and other family members as well. What was soon to become common practice with New Yorkers was just beginning: verification that everyone you knew was safe.

Grand Central Station was closed, but she was confident that it would soon reopen, and she would go home. I told her to call me at home if she couldn’t get out.

As I walked up Lex I had another one of those moments that reminded me that my world had changed forever. I had mentally mapped my walk home to avoid all monuments. I couldn’t avoid the Empire State Building and still went out of my way not to get too close to it. As I walked up Lexington Avenue I slowly looked up and noticed to my horror that I was standing directly underneath the Citigroup building, one of the tallest and most well known buildings in the City, making it a target, and putting my at risk for being underneath it. Every tall well known building that day became a potential deathtrap in our minds. They no longer stood proud and strong. They were no longer permanent. They were risks. They were liabilities. And I was standing underneath one. I didn’t run, as I felt that would be cowardly. My pace quickened until I was out of what my mind calculated would be the furthest impact zone should the building fall.

The further north I walked something surreal started happening, as I walked I noticed a subtle change in those around me. Downtown the air was electric, everyone hyperaware of what had just happened. The further north I walked I realized there were people who had no idea what was going on. They strolled out of stores, they sat in outdoor cafes having breakfast and laughing just outside of the reach of any information source oblivious to why there was that strange vertical cloud in the sky. I felt a mix of jealously and pity for them, to take in the events in flash news story I thought would be more shocking than watching the event unfold. Then there were odd pockets where a random store would have a television on and a silent crowd convened staring blankly at that terrible image they played over and over. The information slowly began to spread and as I walked I actually saw it move north with me.

I made it home and started calling people. I went through my address book and called all of my family and friends leaving messages that I was ok, and I prayed they were too. Those of my friends that worked in the World Trade Center I prayed that they would pick up their phones. None of them did.

My friends and I soon became with a bizarre phrase that still doesn’t sound right in my ears: We were lucky to know only one person who died that day. To know one person who was killed is one person too many. I have friends who knew several people killed. A good friend lost a father. Another friend a brother…a sister, a cousin. The City of New York soon came up with a similar bizarre phrase: We were all lucky that the casualty rate was so low…only 3,000. Only 3,000. They are right, but they are so wrong. We were lucky that that day was a voting day. We were lucky that for many that day was the first day of their children’s school, making them run late. We were lucky that the first plane struck at 8:50am, not 9:50am when those towers would have been filled to capacity. Only 3,000. Each one being one to many.

We were lucky.

I try to not focus on this day, it brings me back to a bad place, and as you stated getting political is not an honorable way to remember what was lost. I’ll simply say this

This act took a great deal from us.
It is felt even now,
It is a day I will never forget
it is an anniversary i wish i could.
because of this act many lost there lives
may god bless them and there families

It’s complicated around here… my spouse is from another country for which September 11 is a very important date, and there are friends and relatives etc who suffered greatly because of that. Though we’re a bit young for the worst of it, even spouse had a government imposed curfew as a child. I was a freshman in college in the fall of 2001, so the US September 11 is always somewhat oddly bound up not only in what I mentioned previously, but also the adjustment to college and independence from my family. It’s weird.

At least here there aren’t big protests with people throwing things and perhaps blowing even more things up (=oblique reference to what usually happens in spouse’s home city on 9/11)

and Solai - thanks for posting this thread. as my somewhat disjoined post above may indicate, I have very… conflicting? feelings about the whole date, but it is good to have a space here to remember

Thanx Solai.

The weekend before was my daughter’s first birthday party. I spent most of the weekend getting the house prepared for visitors. Part of that was cleaning out the yard. On Tuesday morning, my body was aching and I decided to take a sick day. I rolled outta bed and prepared to call work. As I walked down the stairs I looked at the TV. There was a hole in one of the Twin Towers. I asked my wife what was going on. She didn’t know. She had just turned it on.

Like Solai, I stared bemused. I couldn’t comprehend what was happening. I started to go through all the people I knew and who worked at the Towers. There were my two cousins, an uncle, and my wife’s brother. I asked my wife if she had heard from her brother. She freaked. I think she was still mesmerized by the images.

All the while my thots raced. What could do that? At first I thot it was a helicopter not fully comprehending the gape of the hole. Then a commuter jet, and finally a commercial jet. I wondered why they wouldn’t steer toward the water. Manhattan is a friggin island! Then as I stared at the image I saw on the right side of the screen a blur head toward the second Tower and hit it. I jumped out of my seat and screamed, “We’re under attack!” I don’t know why I did. It just began to make sense. I was filled with helplessness. Who was attacking us? Why? Where the frak were fighter jets? I paced. I turned to my wife who was still trying to get her mother or brother on the phone. I grabbed her and said, “It’s gonna be alright.” She replied, “Thank God you’re home.” She was upset and I needed to calm down. I focused on her and what my family would need in case something was coming.

I walked around the house making sure we had a radio, batteries, water and flashlights. I tried to remain calm. That’s when the first Tower fell. I stared transfix at the TV. How many people had just died? I screamed, “Get out! Get out!” I hoped that my will would save someone. I couldn’t do anything. It was frustrating and aggravating. I wanted to find the people responsible. Then the second Tower fell. I broke down and cried.

I found out later. My brother-in-law was covered from head-to-foot in soot. He had escaped. My cousin had quit her job a month earlier, but knew many people who perished. My uncle was on the ferry and witnessed the horror from there. My other cousin (a transit officer) worked for the next three months cleaning up, until he took some leave because of stress and fatigue.

I went to work the next day. I looked around and people were in shock. It was a city in shock. At one point the conducter said, “E train to World Trade…” There was a collective gasp. I started to tear up.

I live in NYC and everyday is a reminder. I look at the skyline forever changed, so many lives effected. All the conspiracy theories and politics don’t matter to me, never matter to me. I always think about the lives, the people and the loss suffered.

Thanks, Solai.

My thoughts this morning, pre-coffee, were much simpler:

Evil people suck, I feel for the families and friends who lost people, and I’m thankful to be alive, enjoying life with my friends and family.

I, too, don’t get into the politics of 9-11, or judge those who have their own opinion about what happened. I just know that our world was changed for the worse on that day, and the days that followed. Very sad.

I certainly agree not to get into the politics, or the political aftermath, of September 11th. When it happened I was 19, so when it did happen, my cynical mind knew what was going to happen, but as I’ve gotten older, all that remains is the sad knowledge that innocent people died because of hatred. And when I think of that, it’s a Lord of the Rings quote that has come back to me, and a Google search finds I’m not the only one.

“What can men do against such reckless hate?”

And eight years later, I do not know.

I saw the flags at half-mast outside and I find it makes me more sad every year. I didn’t know anyone who passed away in the tower, or on the flight over Pennsylvania, or in the Pentagon. I just know that like all of us they were simple people trying to get by, and for that crime, they were murdered.

Powerful story, Solai. Thanks for sharing this. I’ve never seen it before.

Thank you, Solai and Talos.

Taking a moment to remember the lives lost that day.

Thanks for sharing that Solai. And you as well, Talos. Very hard to read.
It was a moment that’s forever burned into our minds, but it’s so hard for us who weren’t in New York that day to fully grasp what it was like to live it first hand.

Thank you Solai

My remembrance of the day is very vivid. I was working at Busch Gardens at the time in the entertainment dept. Every day one of the techs came in early to set up all the peripheral stages and do other jobs around the park. I was heading up to the main office do drop off packages and some batteries when one of my co-workers came out and say some one bombed the World Trade center. It was matter of fact and in my mind i figured it was nothing more than a Car Bomb, maybe some structural damage no big deal. Then i got upstairs and saw the news that was playing on the TV. It was just after the first tower had been hit.

I was dumb struck. I saw the hole and the smoke and the replaying of the plane hitting. I immediately felt horrible for thinking it was just a little thing. I stood up there and watched all i could hoping for the best hoping everyone would evacuate safely. But i had to go and finish the last of my duties and get back and prepare for the days shows.

I drove our Toro to the Dolphin theater to collect the trash and as everyone did they had their TV on. As i was in there talking to the dolphin trainers about what was happening is when the second plane hit. It shook me. I knew that we were in trouble and that we were expierenceg a world changing event. I continued to watch the news with them some but still had to go. I couldnt watch what was happening. I went took their garbage to the dump and drove back to my theater. The rest of the gang were all in the break room watching the news.

I joined them and in turn we watched the tragedies mount up. The Pentagon. Flight 93. The towers fell. I was over come with emotion. The frustration of wanting to go and help the people but being so far away. One moment that sticks with me most is when they showed news clips of people jumping, my manager got onto his hands and knees crying and started punching the ground.

The other moment that really sticks with me is when our act came in to do the shows for the day. It was an acrobat group from China. They came to me and said they were very sorry for what was happening. Then they mentioned that we were lucky because if it happened to their country War would have already happened. They said as soon as the first plane hit they would have launched bombers and attacked indiscriminately. At the time it meant alot to me and it still sticks with me.

The park later shut down as did any area in the US that was high traffic and had lots of people in it. I stayed on to work some other things, setting up for our Halloween event. I tried to stay busy so i would stay away from the news. Every now in then i would peak back in at the news to keep up but for the most part avioded it.

I finally left work with my manger and best friend because we got fed up with the lady who was in charge. We decided to do what felt right and went and had pizza and beer. There we watched building 7 fall. Looking back its kinda weird that i saw the events of the day in four or five locations. I dont know how to express it but it means something to me.

AS many people did i went out and tried to buy flag, it felt right to try and do something to support our nation but they were all sold out. I bought a map of the world instead. I guess some of me wanted to make sense of the world and to be able to look and see and place all these countries they were talking about on the News.

One last thing that sticks with me is when the news folks were talking and comparing this to Pearl Harbor. My grandfather who lived also witnessed Pearl Harbor said this was much worse.

Thanks for letting me share as well.

We stared at the Tower. To me it didn’t look real. It was more of a movie special effect, my mind wouldn’t accept the massive hole in the building that I had grown so accustomed to. There was no smoke, no fire yet. Just a large hole, like the skin of the building was burlap and someone had slashed at it with a knife.

I had the same experience several hundred miles away in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I awoke late (at the time I was teaching in the afternoons and my wife worked in the mornings–this was in the halcion months between our wedding and the birth of our oldest daughter) and logged onto AOL (seems so long ago when I think about the fact that I still used AOL as my ISP) to check the news. I was greeted by a picture of one of the burning towers to the headline “planes strike World Trade Center. One tower collapses.” I thought, “this is an April’s fool prank” and for a minute I literally felt displaced in time. It HAD to be April, hadn’t it?

Turning on the tv confirmed the horrible fact that it wasn’t a prank.

I called my wife and she was worried sick because the Pentagon had also been sick and her father was working on a project for his company helping bring the defense department’s computer network onto Y2K compliance. She could’ve sworn he’d told her he had an appointment to do some follow up work at the Pentagon that morning. We couldn’t get through on the phone to Washington, so we waited with baited breath.

I went to work later that morning and was struck by the fact that there were, strangely, living not too far from one of the country’s busiest airports in Detroit, that there were no planes in the sky at all. When I got to the community college where I was teaching at the time all of the TV’s in the halls were tuned to various news channels. Students and faculty were standing in a daze around the tv sets. I met my music appreciation class, but we just talked about what was happening and, after about a half hour of stunned incomprehension I dismissed them all and told them to be safe. In the faculty lounge, some of my colleagues and I gathered, impromptu, around a desk and just vented. It was cathartic, to be sure. Shortly after that we got word that the school would be closing for the day and we were free to head home.

When I got home I found out that my father-in-law’s appointment at the Pentagon had been moved to a few days before, and he was safe. That night, Sharon–five months pregnant at the time–and I, numb, went out to a cheap dinner and wondered what kind of world our baby girl would be inheriting.

We didn’t lose anyone in the events of that day. We didn’t live in Washington at the time and it’d been ages since either of us had even been to New York, but the whole country was attacked that day and we, in Michigan, could feel that. It was heartening, however, to hear stories and see pictures of New Yorkers, especially, coming together during and after all of this madness. It restored my hope in the human spirit.

When we first moved to Washington and I would drive by the Pentagon, I’d make it a habit of looking at the impact spot, so obvious because of the new mortar and brick where the hole and fire had been. Eight years later, the impact spot is harder to make out, but there’s a memorial there now. And that, somehow, seems right.

Oh, I almost forgot: two days later I defended my dissertation and officially finished my doctorate. It was a bittersweet, anticlimactic moment after the events of the 11th. That week will stay with me as long as I live.

Thank you, Solai. :slight_smile:

Damn! I just figured out where your spouse is from and know why he had curfews imposed as a child. :frowning:

Yeah, it’s odd. He doesn’t talk about it much - being born in 1982, he missed most of it. His parents were too young for the worst of the repression, but everyone has stories about people they knew, or just people in the neighborhood. One of the great-uncles was detained in the National Stadium… he died last year :(. There’s more talk about people’s involvement with the si/no campagins in '88. Not too much though, because one aunt (who was very involved with the No campaign) and myself are the liberal black sheep of the family (rest of my generation = apolitical)

And then I see that one of the conservative party coalition representatives has proposed that the government establish a curfew for September 11 to control delinquent behavior (admittedly there’s a lot, but that also happens on many other days during the year… dia del joven combatiente, for example). This diputado doesn’t get the cognitive dissonance of that proposal… and it’s angering me. Kind of like people who tell me that “what dictator did was terrible, but country wouldn’t be what it is today without him.” true, but nothing justifies what was done. It hits home because the majority of people disappeared were my parents age and political persuasion, and had I been alive and in that country in the 70s… well… yeah.

apologies to all who are put off by my obliqueness…

I’m gonna take this discussion to private correspondence, if you don’t mind, so as not to take away from the American 9.11 rememberances (I can’t bring myself to call it “Patriots Day…”).

Has it been a year already? Seems impossible. Love to my homies on this day.

Never forget.

I did a mini-recap of my experience on twitter so I’ll quote that here:

On 9/11/01 I was 10 years old. I was in junior high. It must have been second period. I was in Reading.

A man, the gym teacher, stumbled in. He told the teacher to turn the TV on. She did. I don’t remember much of the broadcast.

We didn’t pay attention at first. We talked, mumbling low while NYC was on fire. I remember being glad we weren’t having class.

Then we heard a scream. The second tower was falling. The talk ebbed. Silence. It was only ten minutes before parents came for the kids.

I’ll #neverforget how my mom looked as she drove me home. My mother never cried. She was strong. Now she was weeping.

At the time, I was a senior at Clarksville High School back in Iowa. I had study hall first period, which was in the library. Part way through, I saw that one of the teachers was watching TV and smoke was rising from one of the towers. I knew of the earlier WTC bombing, so I thought it might have been the anniversary of that and didn’t think much of it.

After the regular announcements (start of second period), the principal came on the PA system and said what had happened. Then about 15 minutes later, a bird flew into the (closed) window of the classroom I was in, which was one of those weird things that ends up relieving a bit of tension. I think we just spent the entire period watching TV in 5 of my last 6 classes.

I don’t have nearly the personal connection that some of you do, but it was still a very rough day.

I was at the dinner table in Taiwan with my parent, it was the second to last day of summer vacation and visiting families. And it happened on screen. I saw the north tower burning, and south tower struck, and the south tower fell down, then the north tower fell down. When it was just the north tower, i thought to myself this isn’t happening, is this some kind of CGI? then when the south tower was struck and fell, it became clear that it was a real terrorist attack. then all plane travel were grounded for a week, so i was stuck and unable to return to the US.

I think anyone that has seen the towers in person would have a hard time accepting the towers can be gone just like that. I’ve seen the towers from the Empire State Building. I’ve been in the towers. I am sure New Yorkers that saw the buildings day in and day out are even more shocked. The towers looked invincible.

All those lives lost because some crazy people believed that the US is aiming to destroy their culture and people, when the fact was their horrible governments are making themselves suffer. it’s sad. even more sad that the over-reaction and xenophobia towards Muslims lasted so long.

I was in the Hospital, in labor with my first child. It was surreal. My husband kept staring at the TV, as did all the Nurses when they would come to check on me. The only time we turned the TV off was when my son was actually being born. I don’t think I slept at all for the entire 3 days I was in the hospital. It was completely surreal.

I was so sad for the people who died, but furious at the same time that my son was born on such a terrible day. Then I was ashamed for feeling that, because I still had my son, when thousands of other mothers did not. So it was a terribly conflicted time for me. My family told me later that they were happy Connor was born that day though, because it would be nice to have one happy memory from that day.

It seems the day snuck up on everyone this year. I did not see a lot of coverage in the media. The first few years I remember feeling really somber as I would watch the remembrances on TV. They don’t do that as much anymore, which I think is both good and bad. Instead the media coverage focuses on closed-minded extremists, who think the solution to hate is more hate. It’s infuriating, and sad. That’s all I say about that.