Selling artwork/handmade crafts

So I’m looking into alternatives for income to supplement the current job with the hope that someday I may have enough of these alternatives to not have to have a day job.

So I’m wondering if anyone has ever used Etsy or another site like it to sell anything handmade?

Other artists: what sites, if any, have you used to sell painting/drawings/prints, etc? Art lovers: where have you purchased work or where do you regularly visit to check out new work that you might want to buy?

I have a lot of work but never really tried to sell it anywhere but I think some of it could sell. Any thoughts, experiences or otherwise would be great!

I buy from Etsy ALL the time. I’ve never had a bad experience besides some really long ship times from one or two international artists. I have bought clothing, art, jewelry, vintage pieces, soap, costume elements…

S and I have one friend who sells delightful, weird art pieces through Etsy. She doesn’t make enough money to replace her job but she also hasn’t tried putting the time into her art to produce enough of it for that. However, as a supplemental source of income, Etsy serves her nicely.

I’ve never bought from Etsy, but I follow a bunch of people who buy and sell from there. Never heard a complaint.

Great! I think I’m going to give it a try. I’ll post something up when I have a page started. Thanks for the feedback!

Please do!

Check out information on holiday bazaars and the like. If it’s a smaller one (i.e. church or community center) you don’t have to have a ton of product on hand to make it worth your while. There’s a guide we have up here called Midwest Art Fairs and it has everything from the big shows to the little annual events. I’m certain there would be a Southern edition for you. I found ours at Barnes & Noble so it’s very widely available.

I also found a group called Minnesota Handmade - it’s a collective of local handcraft people who give each other encouragement, organize meetups and hold crafter entrepreneur seminars. Most of them are Etsy shop owners too so there is a lot of support for keeping your shop current, sharing of best practices and referrals to interested buyers. You might see if you can’t find something like that in your area, or heck, start one of your own.

I only do 2 shows a year. We have a neighborhood of artists coops in St. Paul and we all open our studios twice a year for sales to the public. Hundreds of participating artists of all kinds and the fee to be included in the guide is only $35.00. It’s a big party for all of us and we get to make money at the same time! I also have an Etsy shop that’s been woefully neglected so I don’t want to talk about it.