Section 31; the next great concept for a Star Trek TV Show!

I loved the Section 31 concept; personally I think an all action based show built on the seedier side of the Federation would be a great concept for Trek show!

This concept could capitalise on the all action momentum built by JJ’s Trek, bringing new fans on board…

Anyone got any thoughts?

From your friendly neighbourhood Munch-Man!

@MunchieRulze

I think it’s a great concept. I’m not so sure the keepers of Trek would do it. That’s ani idea I would think is not in keeping with the Roddenberry vision. So it would depends on the keepers of the Trek whether they would allow that exploration.

Well in is definitely getting away from the original vision, but sad to say that is the only way to get it back on TV and new fans interested!

A more grittier action space orientated series would be needed! Come on it would be awesome having a undercover crew out there putting the federations security first for a change…

Flying around in a cloaked vessel, perhaps phased (oh yes they are that bad a$$) taking down the scum of the universe before they get out of hand…they would have enemies all sides, the Talshiar etc and even those in the Federation who are just learning that the Feds are not as squeaky clean as is initially believed…this can be quite contemporary because now we don’t truly know what our governments do now to keep the peace…so the stories can reflect that idea…I’m not talking 24 in space…but I think it definitely would be concept for the masses, especially as though the fact that the crew would not be a typical Trek (uniforms, pg attitude)!

I think everyone would like it…

From your friendly neighbourhood Munch-Man!

@MunchieRulze

There was a series of Section 31 books published in 2001. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Section_31 I have not read them. I would like to.

Anyway, let’s hatch this out. In essence Section 31 is the CIA. Section 31 is the officially-nonexistent clandestine organization within Starfleet Intelligence that claimed to protect the security interests of Starfleet and the Federation. Gene Roddenberry’s vision of the future was, “In the 24th century there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read.” “Star Trek speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow — it’s not all going to be over with a big flash and a bomb; that the human race is improving; that we have things to be proud of as humans. No, ancient astronauts did not build the pyramids — human beings built them, because they’re clever and they work hard. And Star Trek is about those things.”

It would be interesting to investigate the cost of creating that future and ideology. The politics of the 60s required idealism and hope to encourage change. Our current environment is filled with cynicism and discouragement. The main character could be a skeptic and the embodiment of cynicism. This character is a believer in the ancient art of Cynicism as well. The purpose of life is to live a life of virtue in agreement with Nature. The character understands the true nature of man and the universe. Entropy. The measure of disorder in the system. Section 31 is given the task of creating the order.

I think a Section 31 series could definitely work, although it would be very different then what came before. Probably a good thing.