Sci-fi Final Episode: Vote Here!

There are two reasons why you should vote for Logan’s Run

Reason 1) Robots are never wrong. Listen to the robot.

Reason 2) This is the most dressed the ladies get in the entire movie (using the appeal to boobies argument!!)

If voting remains tied at the end, can we watch both movies?

I only voted for Logan’s Run, which to me is the only true classic Sci-Fi movie in the list. Now it’s tied with Spaceballs…which is funny but just not one of my favs.

Me too, but I love Spaceballs too.

Ten minutes before poll closes. Can we get in two Spaceballs votes!

starts the robocalls

I had to vote for Logan’s Run, it’s such a great film.

POLLS CLOSE! DawnAZ holds out until the end and tips the scales! Logan’s Run is in!

There IS no Sanctuary
There IS no Sanctuary
There IS no Sanctuary
There IS no Sanctuary

Spookiest darned thing I ever heard :slight_smile:

Awww, Spaceballs lost by one vote? I want a recount!!! =)

[b]So why did Logan’s Run win? Well, on Twitter today there were certainly a lot of merits of Logan’s Run put forth. Some … quite, well … surprising.
For your amusement I’ve collected 'em all here.

Note: to make sense of the conversation, it’s best to read these in Twitter fashion which means start from the bottom and read upward.
:smiley:
[/b]

ThotFullGWC
I read on Facebook today that Joss Whedon intended Logan’s Run to be essentially a sequel to Logan’s Run #gwcscifi

ThotFullGWC
@DefaultProphet Logan’s Run is like Transformers. Oh yeah. Transformers is probably like even BASED on Logan’s Run

ThotFullGWC
@badgerspoon That’s one of the many reasons I won’t join Facebook. I don’t want to explode.

JasonbowerGWC
Another reason to vote for Logans Run. This is the most cloths any women wear in it. http://yfrog.com/8bggjmj

badgerspoon
@ThotFullGWC Which is why Facebook users over 30 explode.

ThotFullGWC
@badgerspoon imdb and Facebook and the iPhone were created using technology ideas first seen in Logan’s run.

JasonbowerGWC
Chuck Norris learned everything he knows from watching Logan’s Run #gwcscifi

DefaultProphet
@badgerspoon I thought it was Logans Run

ThotFullGWC
Stephen Hawking said the best way to prepare for alien invasion is to watch the movie Logan’s Run #gwcscifi

ThotFullGWC
@Kirokai Mel Brooks in a recent autobiography said that all his movies were inspired by Logan’s Run. #gwcscifi

badgerspoon
@DefaultProphet I thot The Island was based on Parts: The Clonus Horror.

badgerspoon
@ThotFullGWC Actually, York in England is named after him.

ThotFullGWC
@JasonbowerGWC That’s true. And the New York Steak is named in tribute to Logan’s Run star Micheal York, as was the city of New York

JasonbowerGWC
@ThotFullGWC Logans Steak Hous is run by Logan. He opened it after he finished running.

ThotFullGWC
@TopgunGWC You guess?!! You linear time bigot. Why can’t a 50s song be based on 70s movie?

ThotFullGWC
@gwensdad Clearly. And in 1st grade I remember reading a book called “Run Spot Run” totally based on Logan’s Run.

TopgunGWC
@ThotFullGWC I believe you. I guess.

ThotFullGWC
@TopgunGWC ((Going deep there, my friend)). The 50s song “Mr. Sandman” is based on Sandmen in the Logan’s Run movie. Really. Would I lie?

gwensdad
@ThotFullGWC @TopgunGWC how could you forget that great steak place-Logan’s Roadhouse? Clearly named in homage to the movie.

TopgunGWC
@ThotFullGWC And The Runaways named their band after the movie because Joan Jett was such a fan of Jenny Agutter

TopgunGWC
@ThotFullGWC Garth Brook’s song “Friends in Low Places” was meant as a tribute to Logan’s Run, but contractual problems forced a name change

ThotFullGWC
@TopgunGWC I heard that too. Also the runway part of Project Runway…totally based on Logan’s Run.

TopgunGWC
@ThotFullGWC @badgerspoon And as we know Run-DMC has always acknowledged their ties to the movie, basing many albums on the film

ThotFullGWC
@gwensdad Maybe. Wasn’t Pirates of the Caribbean loosely based on the Logan’s Run TV series? ;O)

ThotFullGWC
@TopgunGWC @badgerspoon That’s true. I think I read that Gene Roddenberry and Will Shakespeare got all their ideas from the Logan’s Run film

TopgunGWC
@ThotFullGWC Also the 70’s kid TV show Run Joe Run, which was about a dog who was based on Logan’s Run

TopgunGWC
@ThotFullGWC @badgerspoon talked about extensively in the EFNY dvd extras. Russell was a big Logan’s Run fan, based Snake Pliskin on him

ThotFullGWC
@badgerspoon Oh yeah. They did that too.The X-Men and Wolverine is basically a tribute to the Logan’s Run movie. Not many people know that;)

badgerspoon
@ThotFullGWC I thot they named an adamantium-laced mutant after it.

TopgunGWC
Logan’s Run: A movie that singlhandedly launched Farrah Fawcett’s movie career!! …wait, forget that part. #gwcscifi

ThotFullGWC
Logan’s Run: A movie so awesome they named an airport in Boston after it #gwcscifi

TopgunGWC
If you haven’t gotten on the forum and voted for Logan’s Run yet, Dooooo Eeeeet!! Yes, that was Logan’s Run. It actually has boobs & a robot

DawnAZGWC
@ThotFullGWC I’m voting for Logan’s Run too. It brings up a lot of interesting social/econ issues & we can have thot-ful verbal discourse.

START READING HERE AND GO UP

Thanks to ThotFullGuy, I feel less bad about Spaceballs not winning now. d:

If you want to listen to a Spaceballs cast, check out the Legends Podcast about it from our buddy John (Nightwing).

Logan’s Run is the perfect fit for this arc. Spaceballs is a Comedy, not a Sci-fi Classic. Thank Crom for DawnAZ!!! :smiley:

I would also like to voice my disappointment with Escape from NY getting so many vote. Why would anyone want to put their friends through such a heinous form of torture? :confused:

Escape from New York is A-Number-One!

Sci-fi classics can’t be comedy? boooooooooooo! :frowning:

Yeah, I call BS. There are certainly other comedies with scifi elements (such as Hitchhiker’s Guide and Galaxy Quest), plus Wikipedia even has a page for comic science fiction. What makes a movie a classic is certainly subjective but I certainly think of Spaceballs as a classic!

Yes, to define “Classic” is certainly subjective, but in this case it has already been defined for us by the other movies in the arc. I’m not saying anything about the quality of Spaceballs, just that it don’t fit into the current arc. It would be like adding Cocoon to the High School arc or Willow in a Hacker Arc.

Ultimately it doesn’t really mater because I would still listen to the crew discuss EfromNY (despite it being the worst thing I have ever seen :p) if it had been picked. Good news is that Logan’s Run is even better then the three already in the arc. :wink:

Discuss…:smiley:

I think you’re missing the point here. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion that Spaceballs isn’t a true scifi classic and doesn’t belong in this arc. But there’s a contradiction when you agree the definition of a classic is subjective and then definitively say what movies are and aren’t fit to be considered scifi classics. I’m not sure if you realize this but you’re also shutting down, not opening up, the discussion by discounting a differing opinion (which several other folks on the GWC forum probably share with me given the close vote).

If that is how you read it then there is no point in me trying to elaborate further. All I’ll say is that, I love Spaceballs and wavilyem. :slight_smile: