Scenario 2 - Agressive Archaeology

In honor of the Indiana Jones podcast arc, your team needs to recover an artifact. To get to it, they have to get through no less than 4 traps. After the second one, all their advanced technology is taken out by an energy dampening field. Firearms and your robot character remain functional.

There is already a second challenge and I haven’t finished the first. UGH! I need to get crackin’. AND I’m next for choosing a challenge! :eek:

Just to clarify, your saying a dampening field is taking out all electronic tech other then your robot. This does not effect any natural abilities?

Right. Only electronics (i.e. communications, scanners, energy weapons)

I’m also assuming the dampening field affects fantasy items as well?

“So this is all that is left of the Naridia Home System?” Austin looked over at his Cyborg friend who was staring at the holographic display, “Indeed, their two original home worlds were engulfed when their sun transformed into a red giant.” Briareos looked out at the giant red sun through a view port, “And this planet we are hiding behind was one of the last worlds they occupied before their mass exodus?” Austin nodded, “As the sun grew this was the last planet they could safely occupy, this outpost is where the last of their ships left from thousands of years ago.” The cyborg looked down at the desolate planet, “It doesn’t look like much now, the sun seems to have grown so unstable that the entire surface is destroyed; just what are we supposed to salvage from it?” Austin showed him an ancient map given to him by the Naridian prince, “There were vaults and temples built deep underground, we’re to go down there and find whatever cultural treasures we can find. But most importantly we are tasked with finding the ‘Sword of Leadership’ and the 1st Emperor of the Naridian Star Empire.”

Karas crossed his arms across his chest, “Every time the planet rotates our position toward the sun and away from Gomtuu we are going to be out of contact with her and any chance of escape or help.” Austin looked at him in earnest, “We will be far enough underground we should be safe from heat and solar radiation, tremors and cave ins are all I am really worried about.” Karas scratched his head, “When did we become grave robbers?” Austin set down the maps, “We are commissioned by the prince himself to find these artifacts, and he hopes that they will help to unify his people. And he needs the DNA from the Emperor to prove once and for all that he is indeed a descendant, it will help to end a civil war among the remaining factions.”

When the first site rotated to the night side of the planet Gomtuu beamed the team down, they climbed down for hours clearing rubble out of their way. It was fortunate that Austin had worn a vac suit, because the underground tunnels were full of dangerous gasses and swirling clouds of choking particulates. By the time they found the entrance to the first vault they were out of earshot of Gomtuu, and the gravitational forces of the nearby sun were starting to wreak havoc on the tectonic plates. Austin deciphered the runes and pushed the appropriate symbols to allow them entrance and they entered the sturdy temple and escaped the falling rocks outside. Their movement inside caused ancient systems to come online, lights came on and music began to play and the air began to clear as atmospheric control units kicked on. Austin went to examine the carvings and art work around the dais and altar, when Karas tried to open one of the sealed doors walls came slamming down and cut them off from the rest of the temple. Water began to flood in which was not an immediate concern since they all had air supplies but it was going to be hours before the planet revolved back around so Gomtuu could rescue them and their air would have run out long before then. Austin noticed he could move the pieces on the solar calendar around, it must be a puzzle! Briareos watched him, “Hey I thought this colony was built in anticipation of their eventual evacuation, right?” Austin looked at him, “Yes that is correct… what of it?” Briareos pointed to the sun in the center of the calendar, “Well the sun in the center of the calendar is red, wouldn’t the sun have still been yellow during the colonization?” Austin smiled, “Indeed, well done my burly friend!” Austin flipped the sun over and indeed there was a yellow one on the other side, he also noticed that the name of the planet for the calendar was not the one they were on but one of the original two further inside the system. He began recalculating the appropriate days, weeks and months according to the orbital path of the planet which no longer existed. The others watched on in awe as he rearranged the icons and manipulated the rings and symbols. After a few tense minutes the calendar clicked and locked into place and sank down into the dais with a clunk, the water stopped pouring in and drains opened in the floor.

Austin looked at his chronometer, by his estimation their site was coming dangerously close to its closest point to the sun. He asked them to turn off all of their electronic equipment lest the electromagnetic storms from the solar flares destroy their equipment and leave them stranded from Gomtuu and any hope of rescue. He took off his helmet, powered down his suit and pulled out an hourglass to keep track of time; and they sat and played cards for the next eight hours until it was safe to call Gomtuu. The lights wavered as they passed through the worst of the storm and the life support sputtered and died a number of times but came back each time, though a little less efficient each time. The air grew stale and hot but they survived, Briareos’ systems went wonky for awhile and he had one hell of a headache but he lived. Gomtuu had to burrow a tunnel down through three miles of rock with her phasors to get a safe lock on them to transport them and their treasures out, even with the signal enhancers.

The next two sites were much the same; hours of climbing and digging through partially collapsed tunnels and shafts. The next temple had a fire trap which needed to be disarmed by arranging the statues of the ancient star emperors in the correct order. The following temple tried to bury them in sand until Austin placed the 10 Laws of Divine Justice onto two tablets in the correct order. Each victory was followed by a long and agonizing wait in near darkness with the air growing thin and the walls nearly caving waiting for the dead planet to rotate around so their ship could beam them out. Those hours seemed to go on forever, with nothing but cards and conversation to help them through the earthquakes and creaking and crumbling walls.

The fourth and final temple was a mind bender, and nearly killed them. When the doors sealed it seemed as if nothing had happened, Karas started to become lightheaded and weak. It was then that Austin noticed on his suits display that the air pressure was plummeting, “Of course! Each temple has had an Elemental trap, this one is air!” Briareos ran to Karas and tried to wake him so he could conjure a spell to protect himself but it was too late, he was out cold. Austin immediately started deciphering the runes and symbols to find a solution to their predicament, but the wording seemed to make no sense. Moments dragged on and Briareos became agitated, “Buddy I got oxygen backups and a rebreather unit but Karas is gonna die if we don’t do something soon. I’d blow a hole in one of these walls but I am afraid it might bring down this whole freaking temple if I did so!” Austin looked back and forth between his linguistic database and the symbols, “It must be a matter of syntax… It keeps talking about an offering of the ‘world’s lifeblood’ and something about transforming elements or some such thing!” He then ran up to look at the alter and scan it for clues, “There are copper strips in the bottom of this trough, but why? They must react to whatever the offering is, a trigger of some sort…” Briareos looked at the symbols, “Some of these look like waves, and this one looks like a snowflake…” Austin snapped his fingers and smiled, “That is it!” He wheeled to the cyborg, “Well done my friend, of course… WATER!” He pulled out his canteen and began pouring its contents into the trough, “The life blood of a planet is water, and it is a transforming element. Liquid, solid and gaseous. And, more importantly,” the lights in the temple came on and air began to rush in, “it is a conductor, by adding it to this trough we have completed a circuit, and… whallah!”

The prince was pleased with the huge haul of artifacts the team brought; he felt it would allow his people to reconnect with their proud heritage. And the sword would be a symbol of leadership once again and would help to unify his people. And the DNA from the mummified body in the sarcophagus they brought with them would prove the princes genetic lineage and bring an end to the civil war. They were compensated well for their efforts which made Karas and Briarieos happy, but what would make Austin happiest and make him feel it was all indeed worth it; would be the end of the civil war.

Wow,Omra, nice job. I love the traps you described.

As for my team, they’re still busy thinking of what the traps are going to be, so stay tuned! :smiley:

Sorry I haven’t posted my solution yet. Any time I leave Rodney in his room alone for more than 30 seconds, he starts yowling.

While lounging about, Team Dyno-Mite receives a message from some prince who needs some relics from some dead planet to prove he’s this big leader and wants the team’s help.

This message gets everyone discussing what experiences they have had hunting relics. Han begins thinking about his past and tells the team about this school teacher he once meet a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

This teacher told Han of these crazy adventures, like as a kid finding some cross thingy that consumed a good portion of his life. He described this one time of helping find some stone for a village. The teacher also gave wild accounts of finding a golden box, a little wooden cup, flying in a metal box from an explosion and even an alien skull made of crystal. The teacher was even so kind as to give Han his old relic hunting gear is case he ever needed it. Let me go get it and put it on.

Han came back from his cabin and was wearing a leather jacket, a fedora, and carrying what the teacher called a whip. T’pol, Tony and Ironhide all looked at eachother and began to shake their heads.:rolleyes: T’pol send a message back to the Prince saying that they where sorrry but would not be able to help at this time because one of the team was have delusions of granduere and looking for fortune and glory and would that they would have to pass up on this adventure.

We are running behind people… Post your solutions please, otherwise Starsaber might start taking this personally.:wink:

Or are you all just trying to buy time for Talos to come up with our next scenario?!?:smiley:

Well, since even I haven’t posted a solution yet… :stuck_out_tongue:

Between my new cat, MegaCon, and being sick, I really haven’t had time.

Oops. That’s right. It’s my turn. Alrighty. I promise by tomorrow there will be a new scenario.