Saturday Night GWC Dining Out (3/19) RSVP, Please

What/Why

We’re hoping to maximize the time that everyone can hang out and get to know each other at the meetup, so we’ve scheduled a dinner for Saturday night at our favorite local Italian restaurant.

When

Saturday Night, March 19, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. (CT)

We’ll finish when we finish, but I’d imagine we’ll likely be at the restaurant until at least around 9:00.

Where

Sweet Basil
17610 Midway Road (at Trinity Mills)
Dallas, TX 75287

Those who attended last year’s meetup will recognize this; It’s the same awesome place we held last year’s dining out.

Attire

One of the reasons we love this restaurant so much is that it’s very casual. Jeans and a T-shirt are no problem, but dressing up is fun, too. The bottom line: whichever way you choose to go you won’t feel out of place. (Costumes, however, would be out of place here.)

Menu

We’ve arranged for a prix fixe four-course dinner as follows:

Hot Antipasto
Combination of fried zucchini, stuffed mushrooms with crab meat, and fried mozzarella cheese

Salad
Caesar Salad or Mixed Green Salad

Entree (choose one)

Chicken Sweet Basil
Grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, and cream sauce.

Veal Marsala
Veal slices, mushrooms, and marsala wine sauce.

Salmon Del Chef
Grilled fresh salmon, lemon butter sauce, and capers.

Dessert
Cheesecake or Tiramisu

Price/Payment

The meal is $30. Wine and non-alcoholic drinks are available as well, and each diner will pay their bill separately at the end of the night. The restaurant accepts cash and credit (Visa/MC/Amex). Please note that the restaurant will likely add a reasonable gratuity based on the size of our party.

How

Seating is limited at this event, though like before we don’t imagine it’s going to be an issue. Regardless, we’re treating this as an invitation/RSVP event.

If you’d like to attend, email Juan at juan@galacticwatercooler.com with the following information:

[ul]
[li]Your real name.[/li][li]How many people are in your party. (Please limit your party to no more than two unless we know the people in your party. If you need an exception to this, we probably know you. :))[/li][li]An email/phone where we can reach you in case we run into any problems.[/li][li]If you’re coming from out of town, please note this fact.[/li][li]If you’re attending the entire meetup (staying at the hotel and/or attending the Friday night group-watch and Saturday’s other activities), please note this fact.[/li][/ul]
We’ll reply to you with an RSVP confirmation that we have a seat for you at dinner.

What if I require a vegetarian option?

If you are for sure planning to attend the event, we can make arrangements for this. Please let us know. There may be additional/different cost. Please don’t ask for this option unless you really need it (in which case we understand).

Notes

The people that own and operate this restaurant are very good friends of ours, which is how we managed to even set up dinner when we have no idea how many people are coming. (Most places would stick it to us or turn us away.) To put it in perspective, Audra and I had our second date there nine years ago. They’re nice people, and I think you’ll enjoy meeting them. (And not that I imagine you’d consider it, but if you were mean to them I’d take it personally.)

I don’t know what the added gratuity will be, but I can tell you that I generally tip far more than standard rates at this restaurant because they’re so kind and attentive. So my bet is that if they add 15% or something you might even want to drop a little more. You’ll just have to see how you feel afterward and decide for yourselves.

I’ve actually tried all the menu items and found them to be quite good. (My favorite of the three is the salmon, but YMMV.)

Wine, should you choose to indulge, ranges from $25 to around $50 a bottle. They have quite a selection in that range.

Important: The restaurant is a good ways away from the hotel. You’ll need a car (or a ride with someone who has a car) to get there. No van or bus transportation is provided, so if you’re not either local or planning to rent a car, please be sure to get with our official travel coordinator Raemani to work out any travel details.

The hub & I will BE there!! Woohoo!!!

My wife and I will be there!

Woot that the hun gets to join us again this year (not that I am not looking forward to seeing you too, but I missed the hub last year :slight_smile: )

just under 4 weeks now.

Glares angrily at calendar Why isn’t it March yet!

If somebody could beam me to you, I would love to meet you all in person as well.

I’ll be there with my texas based hunni :smiley:

All y’all know I’m going to be there. Yummy food! :smiley: So glad this is becoming a tradition for the meetups!

CAN’T. FREAKING. WAIT!!!

Miss all you guys, taking a year off of the meetup was a bad decision.

I’ll be there, too!

I’m dreaming of that veal marsala!

RSVP SENT!

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Woo! RSVP sent!

Just RSVP’d and bring on the Veal Marsala and the Cheesecake!

:slight_smile:

Sweet Basil! We’re coming for you!

It’s so awesome to OWN an entire room at a restaurant once in awhile. :smiley: (And we do it very well, btw.)