Robotech Macross Saga Arc

So, they pulled Robotech off the shelf…scrapped it…rewrote it…and Toby McGuire (Sp?) is producing and starring…

This calls for a Pdcast Arc!

toby mcguire? really? he’s not gonna star in it is he? i was totally for a robotech movie from the moment i saw sigourney weaver come out into the cargo bay and say ‘get away from her you biotch!!’ i don’t think i could stomach another toby mcguire hero…

Producing and Starring…TOBY MCGUIRE!

grrrr…aarrrggghhh…well…i assume he’s playing rick hunter then…do you know who’s gonna play max sterling or myria??? :smiley:

Robotech

Release Date: TBA
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Not Available
Screenwriter: Lawrence Kasdan
Starring: Tobey Maguire
Genre: Adventure, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: Not Available
Review: Not Available
DVD Review: Not Available
DVD: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: Not Available
Plot Summary: Based on the sprawling sci-fi epic, “Robotech” takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship’s energy source known as “protoculture,” and the planet’s survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

“Robotech” was an anaimated series during the 1980s from Harmony Gold USA and Tatsunoko Productions.

Tobey Maguire is producing through his Maguire Entertainment and is eyeing the lead role in what the studio plans on being a tentpole sci-fi franchise.

i like lawrence kasdan…

Although we appreciate the enthusiasm…a pre-emptive arc? The movie hasn’t started filming yet! :stuck_out_tongue:

I know it seems like a long time until we get Battlestar…but at most we have 5 months. If you are suggesting this for post BSG (the horror…the horror…) then I am right there with you!

I think it going to be way better He’s a good actor I didn’t really like the spider man movies but he was good in it, there a Dragonball movie coming out next year now thats going to be bad. I love Dragonball read the manga and the anime. here a link to a few thing http://dbthemovie.com/http://www.dragonballcinema.com/http://www.daizex.com/

I never could get through all of robotech, but i find so many similarities between BSG and the Macross Saga, that I would love to hear what C,A,& S think.

Fast-Forwarding any Min Mai would be acceptable to me.

I heard a rumor that there might be a movie someday…

Welcome, echo_sauce – what a kick-ass first post!

I’m a Macross fan having seen some of them on PBS (free local station) during the late '80s. But Sean’s a mondo-fan; He has pretty much everything they’ve released. And he’s been bringing them over so I can watch bits and pieces in order.

I’ll let him elaborate here, but I’ll say this: You’ll likely hear about Macross in the future on post BSG GWC. It’s great stuff!

i loved the 80’s cartoon series. I also have the book versions of the stories which is some sweet reading. I am not as big of a fan of the newer series. Roy Fokker is one of my favorite characters. i named one of my rabbits after him but like is name sake he is now dead.

These are the things that I find similar (in no particular order)

1. Aircraft carrier in space: main characters pilots/CIC staff
  2. Non-linear space travel
  3. Love as a thing the enemy doesn’t understand but wants to learn about, the inevitability of love between enemies, and hybrid babies :slight_smile:
  4. Gender equality (more or less)
  5. Cool commander in the CIC doesn’t freak out a lot
  6. Long arcs in the story with desolation and people dealing with it
  7. Generally, dead means dead
  8. Conflicted enemy society starts as “single purpose” but grows complex in dealing with people
  9. Stranded civilians

Thanks, I love the cast, you guys rock. I knew I liked you guys when you referenced “sneakers”. wish I could go to the meet up, but baby and dissertation keep me from doing those sorts of things. anyways, i find you guys thoughtful and insightful, and you make me laugh. if i’m in texas, i’ll let you know and buy you guys a pitcher.

-e

I’m glad to see somebody suggested this. In fact the other day I was trying to explain the show to my 13 year old daughter (who likes Sci-fi). After our conversation I went to Amazon and bought the complete series ( Protoculture Edition: $65). You can find the regular editions on Amazon and eBay for cheaper.

I’m totally with you Echo. Robotech is and always will be my favorite cartoon/anima. Aside from Starblazers and Captain Harlock, it was the one of the first animated show in that they showed that really gripped you and sucked you in. You cared about the characters and death was common. I remember I was so upset when Roy Fokker died and the Episode: “Force Of Arms,” and the final Macross episode: “To The Stars” were stunning.

I just started re-watching it yesterday after 20+ years of not seeing it. Yes, there is a slight cheese factor but I will say, Robotech has not lost any of the magic and the great story line still holds up. I really hope the GWC crew does a series pod cast. Sure the Southern Cross (Masters)series was a little weak but it leads into the 'New Generation’s eries which was damn good.

As for the movie for the movie. Warner Bros purchased the rights in 2007 and Tobey Maguire (a fan of the series) has expressed interest in it if/when the movie is green lit. Imdb has 2012 as a possible release date.

I would totally love a Robotech arc on the podcast. This is one show from my childhood that I searched for in the days before it was released on vhs or dvd. I recently came across a collection of tapes that I made off of TV with most of the episodes on them. Thankfully I now own the Protoculture collection and bust it out once a year or so to watch some of it. Great stuff!

Robotech is something I saw once or twice as a kid and thought was cool but never really got into it. I’d love to change that though, I mean how cool is fighter jets -> fighter jets with legs and arms -> Robots!

Robotech made a heck of an impression on me in the mid-80’s and led me to get heavily into the Battletech game and books. I still remember my first introduction to Robotech, it was through the Revell model kits. I was building a Veritech in the living room when Robotech Episode 1 came on. I never even knew about the series and was stunned at the coincidence of it all. There on the screen was animation of the very aircraft/mecha I had in my hands. Since then I have been a fan of anything armored, from tanks to mecha to powered armor. That strange convergence of physical and animated influences proved to be have a substantial impact in the development of my SciFi geekiness, even greater than Star Blazers had years before. Those two shows are the reason, 25 years later, that I have shelves full of mecha and space ships. :smiley:

Robotech. It would be too good to pass up as an arc. Three episodes devoted to the three generations would be amazing.

Now that everybody can watch them for free legally on Hulu and youtube. A Robotech/Macross arc is needed…pretty please!!!:smiley:

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=402

or the Robotech thread:

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=8631