Riddick sequel on track

http://collider.com/vin-diesel-riddick-sequel/92814/

This is awesome news. Pitch Black (which I watched on the recommendations of GWC podcast :slight_smile: ) is one of my favourite movies. Chronicles gets a lot of undeserved flak, but it did suffer a bit in my opinion from a bit too much universe building and I missed the slighty more ambiguous Riddick, so i’m really looking forward to seeing what they learned from that for this movie.

Plus, it was really cool seeing Vin Diesel willing to take a pay cut for franchise. You can really feel that Riddick is his psychotic baby.

[b][

Does this new Riddick concept art blame the apocalypse on our favorite Furian?](http://m.io9.com/5807716/does-this-new-riddick-concept-art-blame-the-apocalypse-on-our-favorite-furian)[/b]
More news about a potential third Riddick movie: Writer/director David Twohy shared his thoughts, as well as some excellent concept art. Does this mean we’re closer to Vin Diesel agreeing to a pay cut so the movie can go forward?

First Official Set Pic of Vin Disel!!

If I’m not mistaken, Vin Diesel is actually a part owner of the franchise, or has rights to the character or some such. Whatever money he doesn’t take up front as a pay cheque, he can cash later when it hits the theatres and the action figures hit the shelves. This is also why Vin Diesel himself started a game studio to produce the Riddick games, and why the Riddick games are some of the few movie tie ins that are actually well produced. The guy grew up playing Dungeons and Dragons and is a total sci-fi/fantasy geek so he has a care and attention to his product that most producers don’t have because he is first and foremost a fan, like us.

Yes, he and his sister own and run One Race. Everyone working on the production had to fight to get this made and the battle took years. Fortunately Fast Five was a HUGE success for Universal, really the only black ink on the books they have to show for the year. Vin Diesel leveraged his position and agreed to make Fast and Furious Six (as yet untitled and scriptless I guess) in exchange for making Riddick. Then yet another protracted battle to retain the film’s R rating and keep the script intact. So, basically, little to no belief at the executive level for this movie. Even the director is working at scale. Props to Karl Urban too. He clearly doesn’t have to make this many years later follow up, he just wants to.

Which means it’ll likely be another cult hit with us fans, regardless of mainstream success. A relatively low budget but they are making the movie they desire to make with few concessions, which doesn’t happen often. The studios just don’t want to make R films anymore in a less than logical risk aversion belief that PG-13 is required to maximize profit.

It’s also Katee’s second chance at having a genre feature film career.

So corral the wagons and let’s all hope this is the harbinger of a return to smart action-y science fiction films that don’t need a mainstream recognizable brand and don’t cost a quarter billion dollars.