Rewatch Orders

As those on twitter might know, I’ve been doing a re-watch of BSG (<3 it!), and have come across two parts of BSG that I think could be fit into a re-watch a few different ways. So, in the interests of having the most opinions, where would you watch Razor? What about The Plan?

I’m thinking of doing Razor around Captain’s Hand / Downloaded, and The Plan around Lay Down Your Burdens (prolly between parts 1 and 2? dunno, or maybe just after part 2). But I can see that there would be other places they could fit well too. Whatcha think?

I always prefer to read or watch series in the order they were released. Even if something is taking place earlier in the series’ chronology, the writer(s) would assume that you’d seen the stuff they’ve already come up with.

Right, and I agree with you in terms of the first time you watch something, broadcast order is the way to go. But if you’re rewatching something you’ve seen a number of times (as I know is the case for quite a number of us here with BSG!), do you vary it up? Or do you always stay with the broadcast order? [Firefly’s the obvious exception… always watch in DVD order.]

I’m pulling a DP and watching Razor as I type, after having watched The Captain’s Hand. Still haven’t decided about The Plan for sure…

This is unrelated to re-watch orders but I don’t feel like I have enough to say about it to make a thread for it… so here it is.

I finished my re-watch last night. 4.5 is the BSG I’ve seen least of, mostly because I enjoy it but it’s emotionally demanding, so it’s not something to just pick up. It’s not so much like watching 4.0, where I remember all of the comments and speculation that went on here.

That said, Daybreak parts all. I know not everyone will agree with me, but I still find the conclusion of the series deeply satisfying.

You make me want to re-watch it all again. I have re-watched season 4.5 only once. Daybreak had such an effect on me I’ve needed time and distance to let it filter in. At this point when I think about how BSG ended, I feel sad. I find the character I think about the most and wonder about is Starbuck. She seemed so exhausted with her life and beyond joy. I find this heart-breaking.

I was satisfied with the ending. BSG made me feel so many emotions. What a show. I do miss it.

Exactly… and I don’t think I would want to re-watch other parts of 4.5 without watching the end, too.

Re: Starbuck, she says she is content at the end of it all, but I have to admit one of the parts I cry more is her goodbye to Anders…

I’ve begun my own series rewatch this week and will post my thoughts here. First impression- this show is even better than I remembered. Jamie Bamber loses his US accent a bit still, which I kind of like.

I’m also really happy with out my BSG BDU uniform turned out for Comic-Con, it’s very accurate!

Yesterday I watched one of my very favorite episodes- Tigh Me Up Tigh Me Down. I continue to be in awe at how well done almost every second of each episode is. Things that stood out are-

1. I’d forgotten about Starbuck walking in on Baltar in the Lab while he’s “with” Head Six. Priceless! I don’t remember Baltar being this socially awkward. He will really transform by series end.

2. The breakup of Chief and Boomer is so sad and painful. My heart breaks for both of them.

3. Great Laura/Bill moments in this episode as they discuss whether or not Ellen is a value-add to ship life.

4. I worried that the Cylon detector might ruin things for the Final Five, but had forgotten that Baltar passed everyone after Boomer failed. So far, I see no loose ends in S1 that could interfere with the series end.

5. Having seen Bear in concert, I am extra sensitive to the music i this rewatch. It is amazingly beautiful.

On a funny note, the subtitles spell Frak as Frack and I’m really having a hard time with it.

To be fair, the original series spelled it “frack.” RDM shortened it to make it a four-letter word.

I always saw as Frak here, so That’s all I can relate to, LOL. I think it’s much more powerful looking and sounding that way!

So I watched Colonial Day and Kobol’s Last Gleaming Part 1 last night.

I remembered how Starbuck and Baltar hook up. In watching it again, it’s truly painful. She slips away, ashamed and embarrassed. His ego is damaged and I did feel for him. One of the great things about Baltar’s arc is how many moment of of genuine concern you have for him. Yes, I get the concern/distain ratio is 1/3, but when he hurts, he’s really hurt.

The hardest part of watching these episodes was Lee’s treatment of Kara. I was so angry at him, even though I get that he’s hurt too.

I don’t know why I’m feeling so many emotions during this rewatch. Perhaps because I’m not waiting to see what happens, I’m better able to process what’s happening.

Gods I love this show.

I’m deep into season 2 now, just finished Resurrection Part 2. I know we’ve debated endlessly about Cain here, but I still believe she’s a fantastic character. I don’t agree with many of her choices, but I don’t feel I can judge her either. She is fascinating to watch, and I enjoyed every minute of her air time.

Adama shines for me too. He came so close to the line, but still managed not to step over it. He has the benefit of having Tigh around though, to bounce things off off. What would Cain be like if she had a Tigh? If she allowed herself to be level with her XO in private?

Lee is beginning to fall apart even more now, while Kara grows stronger in her resolve to return to Caprica.

Love this show!

I watched Exodus Part 2 over the weekend. I do believe it’s my favorite because the sight of the old bird in the New Caprica atmosphere with the Vipers coming out gets me every time.

For all the hooting & hollering, there are still many difficult moments. I tear up when Ellen dies, but even more so when Tigh returns to Galactica and has to tell Adama that Ellen didn’t make it.

I also get emotional watching Lee say good bye to Pegasus. He really is a good commander, and what a painful decision to join the fight at the cost of his ship and command. I love watching those base stars blow up!

My rewatch is slowing down a bit, things are getting heavy. Unfinished Business (the Ron Moore version) took a lot out of me.