Release Date for 'A Dance With Dragons'... maybe

12th of July 2011. http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

A little bit of background for anyone not familiar with the situation. This is the fifth book of the excellent fantasy book series ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ by George RR Martin. The fourth book ‘A Feast for Crows’ was released in 2005. AFfC was orginally going to be significantly longer, but it got to long and therefore had to be split in two, A Dance With Dragons is the second half. According to an author’s note at the back of AFfC it was supposed to be out within a year (I just checked my copy), but for various reasons it has been put back. There have been a number of release dates listed over the years, that have fell through (hence the ‘maybe’ in the title).

Anyway, this date seems legit. It’s been widely reported, so we can hope. It’s about time, for a book that was around half finished in 2005, it sure has taken some time. I’ll wait until I have a copy, before I get too excited.

I would have expected news like this on the 1st of April.

It’s being reported around the US as true. Also, it’s the pre-order release date on Amazon.

I know what I’ll be doing July 12 :slight_smile:

It is confirmed by the man himself.

Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes…

I saw this on twitter first thing this morning and didn’t want to get my hopes up. Now that it has been confirmed by GRRM…*leaps for joy" OH YEAH!

Not related observation: Hey when did we get new smileys? :groucho:

Didn’t see this when I updated “random news.” Very awesome news, it’s totally legit, and it’s 900 pages of squee. Wahoo!

When I head this my jaw dropped because I thought it would be at least another year before we heard anything. I can’t wait to read it and discuss it with you guys.

GRRM has been updating a bit more about his progress. Sounds like he’s done with krakens but has just a bit more to go.