Ranks

So is the only available rank Alpaca?

Are there plans for more ranks?

What are they?

Will these ranks be linked to number of posts or just advance when board members decide your cool enough to gain a rank?

Will there be speical ranks like “member of the week,” or “funniest member,” or possibly negative ones like “spammer,” or “Baltar like”

What’s a hypotenuse?

Anyone get that last reference?

Am I asking too many question?

Airsoft M14

Wondering the same thing, DocP. Not that Alpacas aren’t totally, totally awesome. But, you know, CAG would be cool too !!
Sorry, missed the hypotenuse ref…

from alpaca to knuckledragger to viperjock to CIC…er?

But if they did CAG - it would have to be only available for a range of like 5 posts… it’d be gone before anyone noticed… :stuck_out_tongue:

jr alpaca --> alpaca --> silverback alpaca —> alpaca herder

Wow. That’s pretty sweet. I might just set that up.

A baby alpaca is called a cria. A full grown alpaca is an alpaca (if memory serves). Beyond that you have things like herd sire.

Maybe Cria --> Alpaca --> Alpaca Herder?

Alpaca-knuckeldragger-viperdriver-CAG-Adama’s gaurd-Boxy
i think i could use one that sais"has box fettish"

Airlock fodder -> New Viper pilot -> Mechanic -> Viper pilot -> Cag -> Admiral -> 1/10th as cool as Audra (or 1 Chuck (I’m only kidding))

FORD PUMA PICTURE

awww man, i feel evil now

Kitchen Measures

Just a thought…

The GWC community seems pretty awesome to me, so this is probably less likely than elsewhere on the 'net, but in my experience online forums suffer an increase in post-count padding whenever ranks are implemented. You know what I’m talking about – 1 or 2 word replies to threads that add nothing, or simply replying with a meme image.

Agreed. :wink:

I would so need a new username then! :slight_smile:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this: new members should start off as nuggets

While I like that idea, I also like keeping the terminology GWC (vs BSG) based. So, cria->Alpaca -> … -> Awesome?

(Incidently, one of the things I love about the internet is that my affection for a sci-fi TV show translates into a better-than-average understanding of Alpaca husbanding.)

My quick thoughts: we’ve purposely avoided things like military-style ranks or anything that’s insulting because we totally agree with the concepts mentioned above. We don’t want there to be a competition of any kind to post more – just a place for everyone to interact the way we always have, but easier.

And we avoided “nuggets” because nuggets are harassed and teased. While that certainly works for Viper training, it’s not really how we operate here. GWCers love newbies, so we got as far as starting everyone out as “Alpacas” before we moved on to difficult stuff like installing crap and getting the DNS garbage figured out.

Because as everyone 'round these parts knows, “We like alpacas.” :slight_smile:

I cobbled together a list to get the thinking going. I agree that avoiding military ranking is a good idea, or rank altogether. This should be tongue in cheek, self referential and fun. You will quickly divine my inspiration and methodology on this:

Alpaca
Bean
Bigboote
Browncoat
Cryptozoologist
Duke of Edinburgh
Ensign Roe
Hollyfeld
Lebowski
Leela
Luck Dragon
Master Control
Neo
Noonan
Passport
Psychohistorian
Replicant
Rimmer
The Todd
Wookie

again, food for thought. Feel free to ignore or take as many as you want. Just chumming the water to get thoughts flowing.

:rolleyes:

how about when one of you guys think we desertve it for being a good board member, we get a custom title of our choice?

I take it you disagree? :slight_smile: