Project A-KO May 7th 6PM EST

In honor of Mother’s Day I offer this Estrogen filled classic, it is packed with zany and awesome action, inside-anime (as well as cultural) humor and overall bizarreness. Plus one Hell of an Easter Egg at the end!:eek:

Project A-Ko
May 7th 6 PM EST

Vintage: 1986
Running Time: 80 minutes

Plot Summary:

Sixteen years have passed since a mysterious alien ship crashed on Earth. Graviton City, once leveled by the ship’s crash, is now a bustling metropolis. Within the city’s high school, superhuman high school student A-Ko Magami dukes it out with the diabolical genius B-Ko Daitokuji, who will stop at nothing to win the friendship of A-Ko’s buddy C-Ko Kotobuki. Meanwhile, in outer space, another alien ship is on course towards Earth to find its planet’s lost princess.

Trivia:

Captain Napolipolita is a parody of Captain Harlock. But unlike Harlock, who rarely drinks, Napolipolita is a compulsive drinker.

Mari, one of B-Ko’s henchwomen, is a direct parody of Kenshiro of Fist of the North Star.

In the scene where A-Ko and C-Ko go to a movie theatre, the movie being played is a parody of the 1983 anime film Harmagedon (Genma Taisen), only with KFC’s Colonel Sanders playing the role of the alien Vega.

During the battle between Earth Defense and Captain Napolipolita’s ship, an Earth fighter jet fires a volley of missiles on the ship. One of them is a Pepsi can (a reference to the Budweiser can missile animation in the 1984 anime movie Macross: Do You Remember Love?).

Miss Ayumi is a parody of Creamy Mami from the anime series of the same name.

B-Ko’s hairstyle is a reference to Minmei’s hairstyle in Macross: Do You remember Love

The title Project A-Ko is a parody of the Jackie Chan movie Project A.

[spoiler]At the end of the movie, A-ko’s father, who looks awfully like Clark Kent, is reading a newspaper covered with articles based on the Flesicher Studio’s Superman cartoons from the 1930s. Her mother, who looks awfully like Diana Prince, Wonder Woman’s alter ego, is ironing and folding a Superman costume.[/spoiler]

The anime was originally meant to be a Cream Lemon hentai, but was instead softened for more mainstream appeal.

Samantha Newark, the LA-area vocal talent who sung “In Your Eyes” (the ballad that plays while B-ko is in the bath) was also the speaking voice of Jem, the main character of the popular American cartoon of the same name. She did not actually sing any of the songs from the show.

Theatrical Trailer:

//youtu.be/9T2sp3_S_ZY

Qued up at the opening credits. Been a loooong time since I have seen this, this should be fun! :slight_smile:

It has been so long I forgot the DVD came with a CD of the music from the feature, ripped it and added it to my itunes library. Listened to it at work… wow, talk about Geek Nostalgia! :slight_smile:

Love this opening, it is so unexpected…

Love the ships in this flick…

That is a BIG crater! :eek:

POW!!! Sorrrrrrrryyyyyy! :smiley:

C-ko is sooo cute. But that voice… :o

And now the famous crying!!! :smiley:

I smell a trap!

Dun- dun- DUNNNNNN!

S o o o r r r y y y!!! :smiley:

Girls day out… how cute! :slight_smile:

I never fully got that joke until I saw Harmageddon…

So much for keeping a low profile.

Their Harlock parody character…

She hates mornings! :smiley:

More and more bandages…

Thats ONE down, but I am sure B-ko has plans…

Poor spy… :smiley: