Portlandia

Is anyone watching Portlandia? It is on IFC, and stars Fred Armisen from SNL, and a musician named Carrie Brownstein. It is kind of a spoof on the whole hipster/granola Northwest scene. There have been several cameos- Aimee Mann, Kyle Maclaughlin, etc. It is hilarious! I highly recommend it.

Portlandia, I think, requires a certain frame of reference. But if you get it, it’s awesome. All kinds of Saturday Night Live people make appearances in skits that are more indie than SNL’s top-40 focus. If you dig this clip, you’ll like the show:

//youtu.be/FE_9CzLCbkY

Still need a reason to watch Portlandia? A Battlestar sketch:

http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/portlandia-one-moore-episode

A Jim Rose Circus Sideshow reference? —> SOLD!

ok, we Instant Watched the first season on Netflix.

It is very well put together skit comedy, with an almost absurdist, “theatre of the mind” aspect that we enjoyed, my wife especially.

The guest appearances and the gentle digs at the “hipster life style” were well put together and quite refreshing.

Your mileage may vary.

OB

This show makes Portland looks a lot like Royal Oak (or Ann Arbor) Michigan.

My husband didn’t really get it, while I was laughing my ass off. So it’s definitely a different type of show. One of my favorite skits was the one where they kept asking each other "Have you read that article in the (fill in the blank magazine). I also laughed out loud at “Put a Bird on it”.

Funny, funny show.