Ponyo 4/22 8PM ET

Ponyo

Thursday 4/22 8PM ET

Ponyo initially titled in English as Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, is a 2008 Japanese animated film by Studio Ghibli, written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It is Miyazaki’s eighth film for Ghibli, and his tenth overall. The plot centers on a goldfish named Ponyo who befriends a five-year-old human boy, S?suke, and wants to become a human girl.

The film has won several awards, including the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year. It was released in Japan on July 19, 2008 and August 14, 2009 in the US and Canada. The film reached #9 in the U.S. box office charts for its opening weekend.

This is on the 15th on the Calendar for some reason.

I’m here. Had troubles with subs.

Feels like a bad acid trip so far.

That’s some fancy swimming.

He has a good voice.

I’m kinda confused so far. But, it’s great animation.

Ok, this is gonna be a ride…

He calls her Risa and not mom?

Sounds like they are popping a balloon.

Oh wow…

I recognize those guys from On Your Mark

She’s the runningest little thing.

This is too cute…

She’s starting to look like Kikki to me.

Lol. Spirited Away reference.

Lol. I liked it. First time seeing it. I didn’t know what to expect so it took me awhile to get into it.

How IS Ponyo? It looks interesting, but I generally can’t dig on that kind of anime kinda thing. I’ve tried getting into stuff like Howl’s Moving Castle, just can’t do it. That said, should I even bother with Ponyo?

And is Ponyo appropriate for the 4-7 year old age bracket?

Yeah, Ponyo seems made for 5 year olds.

Tbh, I couldn’t get into Howl’s or Tale of Earthsea either. The last great Ghibli movies imo were Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime. That said, Ponyo feels like the good Ghibli movies of old (Totoro, Kikki, etc.).

It’s worth a watch, but I think children will enjoy it more than adults.

What you want is Summer Wars. Done by the people behind The Girl who Leapt through Time.