Podcasting: What you need to start one

Podcasting is growing alot of us want to do one but don’t know how. So for all the podcasters what tips,tricks and good advice can you give for the ones wanting to start podcast.

Chuck wrote up a few blog posts a while back on the subject.

Podcasting Tip: Build a Dedicated Computer for Pro Tools

In-Studio Mics for Podcasting

At the very least you need a computer, mic, internet connection and a subject. What do you already have?

Well that covers the hardware & gear, I think this thread would be better served discussing the “heartware” of maintaining a podcast, namely;

• what’s the gist of the show? How would the 'cast remain on topic and relevant in the long term?

• how does one build an audience and keep them coming back for more?
    - also, how does one source for interviews, what interviewing skills are needed, etc (I think this is in the realm of journalism already)

• how does one analyse tracking statistics and whatnot and justify these numbers to a prospective corporate sponsor (if need be)?

Hope this starts the ball rolling along …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS Also, how does one get the 'cast listed on iTunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually found a great tutorial a while back here and it’s how I got my podcast started. It’s a little dated now, but the basics are still there. Should be enough to get you on the right track.

Good point. I would say the tech is the easiest part. IMO the chemistry of the hosts and a dedication to consistency are the most important things. The subject is a close second for me. While it’s usually the subject that draws me to a cast, it is the hosts and knowing I can depend on their show that makes me want to continue listening.

Chemistry … Consistency …, sounds like soup … web soup (heheheh)

It sounds weird but GWC has ruined other podcasts as it’s the standard I use for audio clarity! and now length!

Bwaaaahhhhaaaa - me too!

I was about to ask where a thread like this was-then I found it.
But-what about the podcaster neophyte that has NO BUDGET? We’ll assume the team has computers and microphones of some sort. What are some free/cheap editing tools, best ideas for hosting, etc.

You can’t go wrong with Audacity for editing. Nightwing & I use MP3 Skypre recorder to record our calls. I use www.podbean.com for my hosting, Nightwing uses libsyn.com

When I started Planet Retcon in 2006, I used the same computer I played Unreal Tournament on, with the same headset mic I used for the game :slight_smile:

I bought a website for $100/year (that I still have) but other than that it was totally free. I used Audacity to record and edit (and I use it to this day, 6 years and 5 different podcasts later) and LAME to encode (And sure enough I use that today too).

These days, I record into full studio-quality mics into a mixer, which goes to a compressor, which then goes into a computer where it is read by - you guessed it - Audacity.

I’ve also added is a Libsyn account to the mix, mostly because it’s easy and I don’t have to worry about bandwidth. But it does add to the cost appreciably.

I second Audacity. I’ve been running a personal podcast for a year with just a $15 headset microphone and Audacity. I host the files off of a friends server. A Wordpress Blog keeps the content.

Recently, my partner and I started a co-op podcast. We are typically recording with a Roland R-05 that we received for Christmas. Same deal as far as where we are hosting the files and that wordpress is the face. We are currently getting it set up for Itunes, though with Wordpress we have it set up with a button that will subscribe the 'cast to your Itunes even if Itunes doesn’t find it when you search.

I agree with the others who have said chemistry is a big deal. We usually have some brief notes to keep us on topic (as opposed to the personal cast where I just talk and include some music).

In addition…if you want to include some music, do a search for Podsafe music. There are many artists who allow their music to be broadcast on podcast as long as you include in the show notes a way for listeners to get to their site so that if they want, listeners can purchase more of their music. I have included music from Mikey Mason (Google him, he does a bit of comedy), music from the Fump (The Funny Music Project), Marc Gunn, Tom Smith, Lorraine Garland and SJ Tucker. There are many others out there, even if I’ve not found them quite yet. This whole “trying to survive” thing is getting in the way.

Any other questions, I’ll do my best to answer from my experiences. :slight_smile:

For guaranteed podsafe music, I recommend Ioda Promonet and the Podsafe Music Network. Both require you to register, but once you do you are given a vast array of very good music to peruse.

Thanks 5thHorseman. I think I have PMN somewhere, but had not heard of Ioda. All I did was e-mail the people in particular asking for permission, and what songs they considered Podsafe. Though, I’m pretty sure ALL the fump stuff is. Will check PMN and Ioda and see what I can learn there.