Pick a director for Episode VII

Let’s play pick a director! cause why not. if it were up to you, who might you pick to direct episode VII? Who do you think might actually get the job?

Whedon? jj abrams? peter jackson? already tied up in franchises.

Chris nolan? del toro? ridley scott?

Jon Favreau?

personally I’d love to see someone like brad bird take it. He’s shown he can come into an existing franchise and make a kick ass movie (mission impossible 4) and his pixar movies (incredibles, ratatouille) are of course amazing.

what do you think forum?

Too bad Irvin Kershner is dead. He directed the best Star Wars movie. If anybody knew what the franchise needs…

But we’re talking about reality, and that’s just wishful thinking. Let me get my hat on.

Whedon could do it. So could Jackson. Abrams would need someone reigning in all the lens flares. Del Toro isn’t right for the task. There’d be a thousand CGI critters running around. Nolan? Too dark. Scott? Hmmmmmmm. Favreau? Hmmmmmmm again.

Okay, let’s get crazy. Kevin Smith. Seth McFarlane. No. It’d be way too fanboy.

I’m sticking with Kershner. Where’s the Ouija board?

I’d prefer these half a dozen.

Rian Johnson ( Looper )
Edgar Wright ( Saun of the Dead )
Kevin Smith ( Clerks )
Ben Affleck ( The Town )
Kathryn Bigelow ( The Hurt Locker )
Sofia Coppola ( Lost in Translation )

Of course this is Fantasy League kind of stuff. I’m sure titanic battles will ensue in Mouse land for this gig.

OB

Peter Jackson and his team could bring back the mythical and fantastic elements. I’d like to see Kevin Smith take a stab at it. Yet since we’re going total fantasy league with this, I’d love all of them involved (Nolan, Fincher, Scott, MacFarlane, Tarantino, et al). It would be a truly collaborative masterpiece or these powerhouse artist would kill each other.

Spielberg anyone?

Jon Favreau or Brad Bird would probably be a good choice. Joe Johnston also comes to mind.

It would be great to see Joss take this on and since they are saying the story could be about the original gang after a couple decades. It would put all he actors in the right age now.

But why I would pick Joss would be to have scene with a holocron of Mace Windu teaching students at the new Jedi Academy.

Ah. The ever evolving life of Star Wars.

Remember this quote from Lucas in Empire Magazine:

“The rumour of Episodes VII, VIII, and IX was a popular question, and Lucas summed it up in a word, and then two: ‘Never! Absolutely never!’ Luckily for us, he then elaborated. ‘This is all that’s ever been written about it. It was the story of Darth Vader, you know, it starts when he’s 10 years old and ends when he dies.’ ”

Well…unless there Jabba sail barges of cash. Sail barges of cash.

I kinda wish they’d go backwards instead of forwards…the Old Republic…like the PC games…that would be worlds of awesome too…there’s so much material to pick and choose at…the more I think of this the more excited I am to have some fired up passionate minds who grew up on the original trilogy getting a shot at this stuff :slight_smile:

A great connection would be Yoda since he’s 900 years old.

oooohhhhh…Star Wars: Yoda’s Tale, I’m in on that!!

I’d love to see a Palpy story too…the way he schemed and weaved in the Prequels I’m sure it would be a fascinating story…

man I needed this…got me going today!

You should check out the book Darth Plagueis, it chronicles Palpatine’s master from his own apprenticeship to the point where Palpatine succeeds him. It overlaps into the prequels quite a bit, and I think it ties in pretty good.

Oh cool…between this and the Enterprise books I’m gonna have some reading to get to…once I can get to a book store :frowning:

Kathleen Kennedy is now Lucasfilm. That’s a very good thing I think. She will choose a writer and director pending Disney and the “creative consultant”'s approval. The one thing you take away from People vs. George Lucas (Netflix streaming still has it) is he surrounded himself with incredibly talented people in order to not listen to them.

Me too. It should be a very experienced outsider again. Here is the story. Here are the characters. Now go tell a good story. If you do not do the “fresh eyes” thing, you will get a fan film that in some way, shape, or form indulges in wish fulfillment.

I think it will be interesting to see what direction the franchise takes moving forward. As someone who grew up with the original movies, I’ve always been a SW fan. So honestly, I will go and see ANY new SW movie. I personally would love to see something like The Avengers- a strong story that revolves around an ensemble cast. Everyone already knows and loves the characters from SW (well, maybe not Jar Jar, ha!) so I would be curious to see them portrayed by a director who grew up with and was really influenced by the original trilogy.

And I know I may catch a lot of stuff for this, but I would love to see Princess Leia ascend to the pantheon of the Disney Princesses. As an elementary school girl, I adored her. She’s strong and sassy and knows how to use a blaster. Little girls today need a SciFi Princess to emulate!

Current rumor is Matthew Vaughn (who directed both Kick Ass and X-Men: First Class, two movies that I think were directed pretty frickin’ superbly) is the favorite.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-matthew-vaughn/208715/

Also, Harrison Ford is not just willing, but eager to play Han Solo again.

I am totally fine with both of these things taking place.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/steven-spielberg-not-direct-star-wars-movie-145726563.html

Spilberg is out. Bummer.

2 Words… JAMES CAMERON!!!

//youtu.be/67MRiMT9cnE

No director, but we have a writer:

Michael Arndt to Write Screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII

I like where this is headed…

I never even got a call. tear

I never even got a call. tear

You know, I was thinking. For the first time Star Wars is owned by a public traded company. If we get enough like minded geeks together to buy Disney stock, we could get a controlling interest. With a big enough share we could use that leverage to influence who we hire for the creative team for the new Star Wars, and we put in Talos as the head writer. How about it GWC? According to my calculations we only need about… 30 Billion dollars. That’s Billion with a B.