Phoenix ComiCon '11

Are any of my fellow AZ GWCers going to be at this years ComiCon?

I’m planning on going.:slight_smile:

ETA - I was just looking at the events scheduled. The Chuck panel looks cool, I will definitely be going to that. Leonard Nimoy and George Takei are going to be there too. I may take in some of the writers workshops.

Awesome! My wife and I are pretty excited about it, it will be our first ComicCon. We purchased a Leonard Nimoy photo op :slight_smile:

can we get a link or date? some of us like to travel out of state any time we can :smiley:

Found it - http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/ Memorial Day weekend! same weekend as Comicpalooza down in Houston though, which i’m already supposed to be at :frowning: your convention looks a heck of a lot funner too!

Aww I was all excited for a second, then I read the rest of your post.

That’s awesome Venona! I can’t decide if I want to do the photo op or buy tickets to the Hammer Improv show.

SUPPOSED to be at? Or REQUIRED to be at. There is a difference.

The way I see it is, Hammer Improv will be around for a long time. Sure, members may change, but the group isn’t going anywhere. Leonard Nimoy, on the other hand, isn’t going to be around for too much longer. I’d rather have the opportunity to immortalize myself with an icon of his magnitude than see a comedy show that I’ll be able to see next year.

I just asked for Thursday and Friday off from work for ComiCon. :smiley:

The way I see it is, Hammer Improv will be around for a long time. Sure, members may change, but the group isn’t going anywhere. Leonard Nimoy, on the other hand, isn’t going to be around for too much longer. I’d rather have the opportunity to immortalize myself with an icon of his magnitude than see a comedy show that I’ll be able to see next year.

You make a good point. I hope I can do both.

Hurray, will absolutely be there! Geek shirts in the mail and on the way for the con, ticket purchased, time off from work arranged, best friend in tow.

How does an AZ meetup sound for Friday or Saturday night?

I will be there for sure. I vote for a meetup Saturday night (we’ll all be giddy from Spock!) Anyone interested PM me ideas for a location.

Can’t wait- this Con is growing and getting better and better each year!

Has anyone been to the Irish pub at the Hotel San Carlos downtown? Just wondering if it’s a good place to meet at.

ETA: It called Seamus McCaffreys. Never been to it (but at least its not the Tilted Kilt) :wink:

I’m down for Saturday as well!

Phoenix Comicon is coming up fast. Is there anyone else going and/or joining the meetup on Saturday night?

So far we have:

Venona and the Lady Venona
Baconface
DawnAZ
Kag1
Omra

We still need to find a place to meet at. If everyone wants to throw out an idea location, we can vote on it. I am SO EXCITED!!! :smiley:

I just purchased my membership online, I will be there Saturday for sure perhaps Sunday as well.

Jesus Mary and Joseph! There is just sooo much stuff! :eek: I just spent an hour looking over the scheduled programming… CROM! There is no way to see it all…

I will definitely be there on Sunday, I was going to go to some art seminars but I just saw that Michael A Stackpole is doing a writers workshop, and it is only 20 bucks to get in. How can I pass that up??? I am so there!

And later in the day there are more writers panels- Advice for beginning Writers, Horror Metrics and The Rules of writing Magic. I better pack a lunch… :smiley:

Yay Omra! Will you be meeting us all on Saturday night? No venue is picked yet, so if you have a favorite place let us all know. :slight_smile:

I’m so excited but I think I’m even more excited to see all the GWCers in the Phx area. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I don’t know the downtown area all that well since all of the construction with the light rail and the new park they are putting in, so I am going to change my route home from work so I can scout out some place for us to meet. Like a restaurant nearby, there used to be a number of them near where I did jury duty. Which is close to where the con will be.

I will swing by and see if they are still around. I loved this one deli around there, and so did Sheriff Joe. I used to see him and his bodyguards stop by alot.:smiley: It is huge, we would have no trouble finding seats there.

The Regency if it is the hotel I am thinking of has a restaurant on the top, the compass room which slowly rotates. But I bet it is pricey…

Anyways I will find us someplace. And I just booked a room nearby for Saturday night so I can hang out latter and not worry about falling asleep driving home. Or worry about getting back in time for the writing workshop. :cool:

There are a number of places right next to the civic center, but they will no doubt be swamped. I think we will do better if we walk just a little ways-

Here are my suggestions:

Hard Rock Café, 3 South 2nd Street, Suite 117 (never been to one yet, are they loud?)

Arizona Center (Van Buren St. between 3rd and 5th Sts.) is close and it has a number of restaurants, Sam’s Café, My Big Fat Greek Restaurant, Mi Amigos, Uno and of course… ahem Hooters. :smiley: And they also have a food court… There is bound to be something there we can all agree on.

And I also don’t want us to be rushed by the service staff to make room for waiting patrons. And I am not including Pubs or Bars because I want to be able to hear my fellow GWCers talking and I do not want to go hoarse trying to talk over the music IYKWIM. :cool:

Big Fat Greek Restaurant, while delicious is pretty pricey and noisey (because it’s very popular). I haven’t been to Hard Rock in Phoenix yet, but the others that I have been to haven’t been too bad. It’s louder than your normal restaurant, but not too much (unless it’s a live music night).

Portland’s is tasty, although expensive (~20-25 per plate).

The Old Spaghetti factory is right up the street from there, too. Just north of the I-10 on Central, so about a mile or so away. They may be our best option.