Philip K. Dick Arc

Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, Paycheck, A Scanner Darkly, Next.

How about it?

And don’t forget Impostor. An often overlooked but great film based on a PKD short story of the same name, starring Gary Sinise and Vincent D’Onofrio. Androids with built in U-bombs. Excellent!

Yeah, a PKD arc is a must.

I really like this idea…no shortage of material there!

A Scanner Darkly would be really cool to look over again.

Just want to give this a bump. Lots of the movies suggested here are Phillip K. Dick based, and this would be a cool way to tie them all together.

Here’s a thought I’ve had for a while on a couple of arcs. Both arcs would allow the crue to discuss influential authors and bridge with the movies.

Idea 1: The Phillip K Dick arc. Aside from providing a venue for a lot of obvious “dick” jokes, Phillip K. Dick was an immensely prolific SF writer, and some of his books and short stories are great SF movies:

Blade Runner [i]Already talked about, but what the heck /i, Director: Ridley Scott, Based on the novel: “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”
Total Recall (1990), Directed by Paul Verhoeven , Based on the short story: “We Can Remember It for You Wholesale”
Confessions d’un Barjo (1992) , Directed by Jérôme Boivin , Based on the novel: “Confessions of a Crap Artist”
Screamers (1995), Directed by Christian Duguay, Based on the short story: “Second Variety”
Minority Report (2002), Directed by Steven Spielberg, Based on the short story: “The Minority Report”
Impostor (2002), Directed by Gary Fleder, Based on the short story: “Impostor”
Paycheck (2003), Directed by John Woo, Based on the short story: “Paycheck”
A Scanner Darkly (2006), Directed by Richard Linklater, Based on the novel: “A Scanner Darkly”
Next (2007) Lee Tamahori, Based on the short story: “The Golden Man”

Idea 2: Classic SF Authors Arc. If the Dick arc was too specific, a neat arc that could tie together several classic authors. These writers contributions go way beyond just the movies, but I think there could be some interesting discussions:

Phillip K Dick: See above
Isaac Asimov: I Robot, The Bicentennial Man
Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451
Robert Heinlein: Starship Troopers :slight_smile:
Frank Herbert: Dune (mini series or movie)
Harlan Ellison: I Robot (wrote the screenplay with Asimov), ST-TOS Episode “City on the Edge of Forever”

Can anyone think of anything else that might fit?