OOC(Out of Character) For RPG Readers, Players and Interested Parties

During the Break

To make things easier for everyone I would ask you to please do two things during the break.

1) Keep your character alive.

What I mean by this is to keep them alive in your mind. Every now and then do a mental exercise with them, as in… “What would he/she do in this situation?” By keeping your character alive in the back of your mind it will be easier for you to revive them again later after the break. Where as if you had placed them in cryostasis (so to speak) it will be an epic pain to get back into character. This is much easier than it sounds, and the amazing thing is even when your conscious mind is not turning the story around in your mind, your subconscious is…

2) Write a page a day.

Anything, just jot it down. I don’t care what it is and don’t worry about spelling, syntax or if it is good, just write. And if nothing comes to you, just stare at the page. What is most important is getting your mind used to putting thoughts to paper, that way when you really start writing again it comes easier and more naturally, instead of forced. And unless you unearth a real gem, or something that strikes your fancy, don’t try and polish it up. You can always return to it latter when your schedule is less relenting. Besides, it is always better to look at things you have writtten with a fresh eye.

And if you miss a few days… Don’t write extra pages as punishment, this is not an assignment, it is just an exercise. Even if you just set the time aside, 5-10 minutes each day and just stare at the paper and let your mind wander. You are still THINKING about writing, and that is just as good. Once your mind becomes accustomed to putting thoughts to paper, and then arranging and organizing them. You will be amazed at how much more organized your thoughts become, and how they flow.

Think of it as meditation, just 5-10 minutes. Or better yet if you need some inspiration here are some ideas for you to play around with. Combine the two! Do a mental exercise on your break, while stuck in traffic, while on an elevator, whatever… and then write about it latter at home. Here are some ideas-

Jayke: What is his fighting style? Where did he pick it up? Is it fluid and artful? Or more like street fighting? After pondering some of these ideas and maybe doing some backstory, try choreographing some fights in your head. And later on when time allows, trying writing out a scene.

This way when the real battle starts in the game you will already have the verbiage to vibrantly describe it, and it will flow naturally.

Who are Melanie’s contacts on Veggie? Is she wanted by the law? Will she willing help the merc’s and colonists or will she try and cut a deal for her own profit, or perhaps to have her record expunged? Hmmmmmmmm…

Where does Dana’s Mother live? If she lives near the Spaceport is she in imminent danger of the invading horde? Where could Dana move her to that is safe. is there anyplace safe? Or would she join the militia to help protect her town?

Do Evie and the grunts get along? Or do the tool pushers and the ground pounders have a not so friendly rivalry? Or is it all just an act, a space mercenary tradition and they all have a grudging respect for each other?

These mental exercises and scribblings can be done anywhere and at any time, and become second nature once you develop the habit.

I am not trying to complicate your lives in any way and I hope that if you try these out that you will find them a useful tool, and maybe even unlock creativity and talents you may never have realized you had.

Or if you are already talented or have felt the muse scratching at your door, perhaps you will discover your own personal voice.

Hopefully when we return to the story you will have a new enthusiasm for it and the words will come even easier than before. After all, this is supposed to be fun… I don’t want anyone pounding their head against the monitor because they can’t find the right word to describe a certain item or action.

Personally I will be putting up a post or two during our break, because it will drive me nuts not too. But I promise that I will not move the main story any further along. I may even put up some stuff in the writing section if the forumites don’t object, just to keep my skills sharp.

Good Luck all, and have a safe and happy Holiday season. And if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. And hopefully Default Prophet will be posting a character when we return!

Shall we start back up on the Fourth?:slight_smile:

Or do you need more time to get personal affairs taken care of?

I’m good to go when everyone else is

I say we fire her up!

Bacon said he would be ready to go on Monday, I have not heard back from Tibby yet. I will do a post on Monday involving the Marshall, you could do one about the troops and militia setting up the towns defenses if you like (just a suggestion).

Have you read the latest posts? And I put up a “The story so far” for everyone to refresh their memories about where we left off during the Holidays.

FrakkinTalos sounded like he might be interested in joining, and I noticed a new member in our social group. I said hello to him but I have yet to hear a reply, maybe I should PM him to see if he wants to join in.

I’ll go with with the defence set-up angle, im just going to reread everything so im up to speed, again.

Come on people contribute to the story… this is turning into the OMRA SHOW, and that is not what this is supposed to be.

Well I give up! I have tried to be understanding and sympathetic to everyones schedules and the demands on their time, but it has been way too long since anyone has contributed. Once a week was all I was asking from anyone, just ONCE a week to keep the momentum up and to keep people interesting in reading and following the story.

I am tired of carrying the whole thing on my back, and besides it makes it seem like it is all about me. It was supposed to be about me interacting with all of YOU to create something fun and interesting. To have a BLEND of different writing styles and flavors, it becomes monotonous if it just one style the entire time.

I refuse to pester people into contributing, I don’t want to be a dick! I just expect people to follow through on their promises.

Aw…C’mon. Don’t be like that. You follow the motto: A writer writes. I wish I had your work ethic.

I refuse to pester people into contributing, I don’t want to be a dick! I just expect people to follow through on their promises.

You’re not a dick. If you enjoy this, keep it up. I’m sure no one feels this is the Omra show. It’s great that you started it up and kept it going. If it’s bugging you, that’s cool also.