Once upon a time

Anyone else watching this show? I find it interesting, if a bit early to have figured out whether I really like it. Sometimes I take a while to warm up to a show.

The characters seem to be well flushed out, even as they are clearly derived archetypes. It is a show based on fairy tails. Unsurprisingly, the production values are high. My biggest question: where will they go with this. I suppose I’ll have to keep watching.

We have been watching it with the kids. They love all the Fairy Tale references. I think it’s an interesting show, and has potential. I think Jane Espensen is working on it, which explains the good storytelling so far.

I’ve been enjoying the show thus far. The Rumplestiltskin character strikes me as most interesting. I can’t, however, see this story arc lasting more than one season. And after this arc, then what?

With so many fairy tales in the World, they can pile the arcs on quite high. To the point that you’d need a SQL DB to keep track of who’s slept with whom.

One thing that strikes me, in contrast to many other shows with grand arcs, is that we know the overall plot. Emma fights Regina, wins, breaks the curse, and they all live happily ever after. This wasn’t true of Lost, Firefly, or B5. In the beginning, they didn’t seem to have an overarching narrative. Although it was true of BSG…

So I’ve been reading Television without Pity’s recaps and I had a thought. It steams from the still open question of how much does Regina remember. If she has more memory of her old self than everyone else, can she work magic in our World or at least in Storybrooke?

It seems pretty clear to me that Regina remembers everything. As the caster of the spell she should be immune to its effects. Otherwise how can she enjoy her mastery over them? She’s also actively working against anyone working out what has happened in a way that only makes sense to me if she knows the truth. There was a scene in ep 1 or 2 where she gives apples to Emma and its pretty clear that they are poisoned. Not sure if that proves she still has magical powers or not, but I think its possible.

I don’t think it’s necessary for Regina to remember anything for the spell to work. In fact, not remembering might be half the charm. Spending the rest of eternity in blissful ignorance of her hellish life in happily-ever-after land doesn’t sound so bad, at least for her.

I also think that the writers are being coy as to which is the case, implying that she does not remember in one scene, that she does in another. Of course they could have it both ways. She may not remember now, but will start to as the curse cracks. No matter what the truth is now, Regina throwing fireballs might still be in our future.

I just caught up during the marthon they showed on New Year’s Day. It sure seems like she remembers at this point. She seems to have some magic as she still had Graham/The Huntsman’s enchanted heart in the vault. The real question is wether Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin remembers. Also, if all magic comes with a price… what price will Regina pay for casting such a powerful spell.

After the conclusion of The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, she either remembers everything or she thinks she’s Mola Ram.

As for the price she paid, she killed her father in The Thing you Love Most to power the curse and by doing so she created a “hole that can never be filled”. The price she’s paying is that she can’t love anyone and no one loves her. Which is exactly why Graham wanted out.

Which brings me to my latest brainwave. How is Emma supposed to break this curse exactly? If the afore mentioned The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter is any guide, she frees an individual victim by kissing them. Worked on the Sheriff and, of course, it worked for her father. That brings up all sorts of practical questions. Is it any sort of kiss? Will a French-style cheek peak work? Or is she supposed to kiss her father the same way she kissed Graham? That would be very, very creepy. However, I hear incest is all the rage in TV programs these days.

Its pretty cool. And family friendly.

Although the curse thing is a little unclear to me. If the curse is broken than will they go back in time? Will Emma not exist? What about Henry? If Emma wasnt in the human world, she wouldnt have Henry, etc…

I like the show though.