Official Honor Harrington Thread

This forum needs more Honor Harrington. This thread seeks to remedy that.

Keep in mind that not everyone has read all of the books yet (myself included) so there may be “spoilers” for you, despite the fact that the books have been out for 15-20 years.

Either way, this is a freeform thread: discuss, debate, just don’t be dickish.

Let’s be to it!

This is an awesome thread!!!

For reference, back when Sean was talking about Honor Harrington (literally years ago at this point!), we had a thread to talk about On Basilisk Station, which might be of interest.

I’m a big fan of the books. I have just finished a re-read of the entire series, including the short stories and the spin off books. I’m really looking forward to A Rising Thunder. There was an eARC of Mission of Honor released several months before the publication date, so I’m hoping it will be the case with A Rising Thunder. If they go the same route it really shouldn’t be too long before it is available.

This is a great resource which I’m sure many of you already know about http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/series/Harrington/ . It’s a collection of David Weber’s posts that give a lot of good background information. Of course there are a number of spoilers.

The hubs and I adore Honor. We have read all the main books and are working through the eu. We listen to them on car trips (thanks to Audible!) and are almost done with a complete listen-through. I can’t wait until the new book comes out. :slight_smile:

I’m still working on reading the series, but once I’m done it’ll be great to be able to post my thoughts.

I haven’t read any Honor Harrington, but I just finished another David Weber book I grabbed at the grocery store ages ago - Out of the Dark.

I was having a great time reading this alien invasion story… until the end. All I could think was, “Deus ex Machina! What a cop-out!” Seriously disappointed here.

It makes me a little hesitant to try the Honor Harrington series if it’s going to involve the same kind story telling. Can anyone ease my mind?

I am currently in the middle of the Honor series, reading for the first time. I am really enjoying the stories but Weber’s writing sometimes gets in the way–he’s imaginative and has scope but doesn’t quite have the writing chops to pull it off in a way that makes me swoon. And he writes excellent heroes. Despite what I feel are his flaws as a writer, I can’t think of any especially Deus Ex Machina plot resolutions. And the plots and characters are exciting enough that I am really enjoying the books.

Honor herself is a fantastic character. I am glad that we see inside her mind as much as we do, because otherwise she would be too boring a hero on a pedestal. I like that her faults are related to insecurity and self confidence–it actually feels sincere and realistic.

I just started the first book. Looking forward to the Honor-verse journey.

I posted this in the Millitary Sci-fi thread, but I think it’s worth repeating. The eARC of A Rising Thunder has been released. I finished it earlier today. I really enjoyed it, I can’t wait for the next one. The good thing about David Weber is that he doesn’t hang around when it comes to writing books, there’s due to be a new War God (Bahzell) and a new Safehold book next year. I’m really looking forward to them all.

I have a long drive ahead of me today. Have the first book On Basilisk Station, but I purchased the audiobook so I can drive. Very excited. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Just finished On Basilisk Station - Loved it !!
Just fell in love with Honor. Can’t wait to start the next bk in the series, The Honor of the Queen.

Found the online version of the Honorverse and converted them to read on my wife’s Kindle. Will report back after I get a chance to read them.

Finished On Basilisk Station -loved it!
Finished The honor of the Queen - loved it!
Finished A Short Victorious War - good
Finished Field of Dishonor - loved it!
Now just started book 5, Flag in Exile - I’m very excited about it.
I love Honor Harrington

Aaaaaahhhhh! Another convert! Glad you are enjoying it. :slight_smile:

Yes indeed !!
Can’t believe it took me this long to find it.
Honor is sooo bad-ass

It’s been a few years since I discovered Honor Harrington.

At this point I have read all the Honor Harrington novels three times.

And this November (2016) Bk-14, Shadow of Victory will be released.

Can’t wait. Bk-13, A Rising Thunder left us at a cliffhanger.

Just to summarize.

Bk 1- On Basilisk Station
Bk 2- Honor of the Queen
Bk 3- A Short Victorious War
Bk 4- Field of Dishonor
Bk 5- Flag in Exile
Bk 6- Honor Among Enemies
Bk 7- In Enemy Hands
Bk 8- Echoes of Honor
Bk 9- Ashes of Victory
Bk 10- War of Honor
Bk 11- At All Costs