Numb: A Care Bears Prequel

During the Howl’s Moving Castle frak party, I made a joke about writing a Care Bears prequel/sequel. It was right after we had The Care Bears Movie frak party and fresh in me head. So here is part 1. Hope you enjoy. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Nicholas Cherrywood crouched behind a stack of crates, mindful to not make a sound.

“Where is that worthless worm!?!” Paolo Feltrinelli searched furiously around the freight car. His wizard’s hat’s brim continually falling in his eyes as his cape embroidered with ‘The Great Fetuccini’ latched onto a box corner and choked him. His eyes bulged and he gasped. Releasing the box’s hold on him he adjusted his collar and caught his breathe. “When I find you boy, you’ll be sorry!!” Paolo harrumphed and turned, heading in the direction of his trailer.

Nicholas listened with his mind’s eye. When he was sure Fetuccini was gone, he emerged from his hiding spot. Pondering his life and Fetuccini’s last statement, he responded, “I’m already sorry.”

As far back as Nicholas could remember he was under the care of Feltrinelli. He did not know who his parents were or where his name came from. Somehow he had become Feltrinelli’s possession and property of the carnival. At times he was treated no better than the animals. For example, his current transgression that elicited the wrath of Feltrinelli was forgetting to stuff flash paper in the lining of the presentation table. So, when The Great Fetuccini performed his disappearing canary act there was no showmanship smoke and poof. In its place was a smattering of applause and a magician’s shame. The routine that followed would be the same, a barrage of berating insults emphasized with a horse whip across his backside.

As he thot about it, he wondered if that was preferable to the emotional torment he felt. Abandoned by the ones that were supposed to love and protect him filled him with so much pain. He was unwanted and worthless. Perhaps Feltrinelli was right.

Lost in thot and self-pity, Nicholas wandered into the den of freaks as they were known. Rejects in their own right, they were deformed children of the Orient. Birth defects and other abnormalities made them a carnival freak show. Nicholas found himself surrounded by a thick smoke with a strange smell. Some of the freaks were reclined on cots.

One of the freaks, the dog boy whose ears were stretched and his nose upturned, approached Nicholas. “What are you doing here?”

“Nothing,” Nicholas responded while retracing his steps and trying to scurry away. In the process he tripped over his own feet and fell to the floor. Dog boy rushed to his side. When Nicholas rolled over, he was face-to-face with him. Peering into his eyes, Nicholas did not see what he expected. Dog boy’s eyes were filled with compassion and concern.

“Are you ok?” dog boy asked. He looked closer, “Have you been crying?”

Nicholas quickly wiped his eyes, “No. I’m fine. I’m sorry to bother you…um…”

“…freaks,” finished dog boy. He saw the fear in Nicholas’ face. “It’s alright. It’s how we earn our keep.” Dog boy looked around at his fellow freaks who were lulled by the opium they inhaled. “Being shunned and treated as outcasts takes its toll.” He spotted what he wanted. He placed a gentle hand on one of the Siamese twin’s hands and released the opium pipe from their grasp. “But there are ways to escape the turmoil and not care anymore.” He took a toke from the pipe.

Nicholas noticed as dog boy inhaled and exhaled, his demeanor relaxed. Dog boy became limp and his eyes rolled in his head. “What is that?” Nicholas gestured at the pipe. Dog boy extended his arm in response. Nicholas took the pipe and examined it. He brought it to his lips and inhaled. His lungs filled and he choked. After his body recovered, he felt numb and euphoric. His pain subsided and he didn’t care anymore.

That’s where it started.

Suddenly it all makes sense…

Excellent.
It’s like a dark, re-imagined, re-boot of Care Bears: The Original Series.
Is Grumpy Bear a woman in your re-boot?

Naw, Grumpy’s going to be puking on himself outside a strip club.

taking notes

Now why is that so easy to picture?

I submit this picture, just to help generate story ideas:

OMGs! That’s hilarious!

But I gotta say: this hive-minding is getting a bit freaky… I just finished watching The Ruby in the Smoke. The main character recovers repressed memories about her true parentage by smoking opium…

Coincidence? :eek: I think not! :smiley:

Opium. Of course. That explains so much. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are there flying monkeys over those poppy fields?

Let this inspire you. :smiley:

And this. :eek:

Clearly, the one on the right is an evil monster, totally untrustworthy and lacking basic morality.