Nuclear War Arc

There are many movies, video games, and TV shows that come to mind when thinking about the concept of nuclear war, both from the era of the late Cold War, and even today. You could probably fill at least two or three podcasts with reviews and discussions on this stuff.

Such examples of media include:
TV
Jericho
BSG, but we’ve done that to death already. :stuck_out_tongue:
Twilight Zone: Time Enough At Last

Movies
Fail-Safe
Dr. Strangelove
By Dawn’s Early Light
The Day After
World War Three, The Movie
Threads (BBC)
When the Wind Blows

Video Games
Fallout
Defcon

Non-Fiction
Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie (documentary)
Thirteen Days

Interesting. Might be a way to tease a different arc out of the ‘dystopian arc’ proposed earlier.

Interesting…I would also add “On The Beach” as a classic movie to that arc. And also Damnation Alley. Kind of a depressing arc, though, isn’t it?

I wonder if anyone has ever suggested an Post-Apocalyse/Apocalyptic film arc. So many to choose from:

Day After Tomorrow
I am Legend
Waterworld
Postman
Planet of the Apes
Poseidon
Escape from New York
Mad Max (2 and/or 3)
A Boy and His Dog
Resident Evil
Red Dawn
Book of Eli
War of the Worlds
28 Days Later
Cloverfield
Knowing
Andromeda Strain
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Testement
Doomsday

Numerous post-apocalyptic anime series and movies. Having gone through a legitimate apocalypse, they do the stories well.

An interesting note, Fail Safe and Doctor Strangelove are both based on the same novel. Interesting how those two films came from that one source. One is a hard core cold war thriller, the other an over the top black comedy. Both are excellent.

I had pondered those too. Damnation Alley does have a couple recognizable faces in it, like George Peppard (Col. John Hannibal Smith from The A-Team) and Paul Winfield (Capt. Terrell from Star Trek II). Were you thinking of the original On the Beach or the 2000 remake with Armand Assante?

I have not seen the remake. I was referring to the original.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I second what Shootz said.

I like this idea as well, though I must confess that I don’t understand one of his movie choices… Poseidon? Isn’t that the remake of The Poseidon Adventure? How does a cheesy shipborne disaster movie tie into an Apocalyptic theme?

And don’t even get me started on 28 Days Later…:mad: (jk)

I also agree with Fastcart about the anime angle on this, in fact there is just SO MUCH material that it may be almost impossible to get a consensus on which movies or series to review.

Some of my favorites are Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, and A Wind Named Amnesia

I hope I wasn’t too harsh, I was smirking the whole time… Does that count?:smiley:

I don’t think we need to worry about coming to a concensus on what the arc should include or should not include…these are just suggestions for arcs after all. The only concensus that matters is between Chuck, Audra and Sean whether to do an arc suggested by members and what to include. :slight_smile: